SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had 3 other ur braces installed but still not quite sure whether it's a good idea to get the front lower one.

1) Is replacement of front subframe bolts really necessary? Since, I don't see it connecting to any of them.

2) Will it interfere with ipd skid plate?

3) Does it limit the front subframe movement so much to cause discomfort when going over steel plates on the road?

4) How does it compare with ipd subframe poly inserts?

·
Registered
829 Posts
1) No it is not necessary, the brace connects to an LCA bolt on each side and two of four smaller bolts that hold the subframe to the rest of the car. I never replaced mine and it is fine.
3) It does take away some comfort but it is absolutely worth it for the handling gains. How much exactly, I don't know as I put on 3 at a time and didn't drive the car for 2 weeks before the install.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) No it is not necessary, the brace connects to an LCA bolt on each side and two of four smaller bolts that hold the subframe to the rest of the car. I never replaced mine and it is fine.
3) It does take away some comfort but it is absolutely worth it for the handling gains. How much exactly, I don't know as I put on 3 at a time and didn't drive the car for 2 weeks before the install.
Thanks for the response! For the comfort part, does it make the car vibrate like the upper poly engine mount, poly torque rod or solid conversion kit do? or it's more in terms of reduction in ability to handle large road imperfections.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thanks for the response! For the comfort part, does it make the car vibrate like the upper poly engine mount, poly torque rod or solid conversion kit do? or it's more in terms of reduction in ability to handle large road imperfections.
No vibtration, it just makes the chassis stiffer so road imperfections and bumps are a tad bit harsher.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No vibtration, it just makes the chassis stiffer so road imperfections and bumps are a tad bit harsher.
I see. I guess it's hard to quantify harshness but you think it won't be considered as punishing, right? Also does the brace affect highway ride quality, or only on city roads when the road imperfections require the front subframe bushings to absorb some shock? Lastly, do you think the mounting points are sturdy enough that they are survive stretches of city potholes every now and then?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
It's awesome. Love mine.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I love mine, have both the lower brace and IPD subframe bushing inserts. No noticeable harshness or vibrations- I went with the top brace instead of the IPD engine mount bar conversion. The handling has significantly improved. The only downside is a loss of ground clearance. It scrapes in the snow and on rocks if you're brave enough to try uneven pavement.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love mine, have both the lower brace and IPD subframe bushing inserts. No noticeable harshness or vibrations- I went with the top brace instead of the IPD engine mount bar conversion. The handling has significantly improved. The only downside is a loss of ground clearance. It scrapes in the snow and on rocks if you're brave enough to try uneven pavement.
Do you notice any additional vibrations on freeway?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No vibrations. I did notice that crossing expansion joints is a lot smoother.
Got it! Did you need any new bolts or existing ones were long enough? also have you heard the brace bend or creek under stress like hitting a big pothole?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Got it! Did you need any new bolts or existing ones were long enough? also have you heard the brace bend or creek under stress like hitting a big pothole?
You do not need new bolts, the current ones are long enough and i have had zero issues reusing them. No bending or creaking from what I can tell, if I hit a big enough pothole all I hear is the 4C crashing. I did have one issue where one of the rear bolts wasn't tight enough after I put on the IPD sways. Lots of loud popping on accel/decel and every bump, but that was my own fault not the old bolts being reused.

If you want a stiffer chassis just buy the brace, no negative affects other than a stiffer chassis.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome. Hope they fit the ipd skid plate.. btw, do you think the brace would make the car too harsh for city roads or freeway expansion joints?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Awesome. Hope they fit the ipd skid plate.. btw, do you think the brace would make the car too harsh for city roads or freeway expansion joints?
The UR brace fits over the factory plastic skid plate, also I dive my car in the city with no issue, not to harsh at all. Freeway expansion joints are no different with or without the brace in my opinion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did have one issue where one of the rear bolts wasn't tight enough after I put on the IPD sways. Lots of loud popping on accel/decel and every bump, but that was my own fault not the old bolts being reused. If you want a stiffer chassis just buy the brace, no negative affects other than a stiffer chassis.
Yup. +1

The difference in expansion joints and potholes I felt is harder to explain- I feel each bump only once now instead of when each wheel hits it. You'd think it'd be a harder hit, but I think the braces just take the chassis out of the equation and let the shocks/springs do their thing. The sensation is that the car rides much better and the suspension is much more effective.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I like when you push the car hard around corners in 2nd, you can make the whole thing feel like it's skipping over the road. Magic race car feeling.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you guys so much for the information. Just installed it today and it 's better than I hoped. My s80 has all the other suspension mods including lowering springs fsd shocks ipd sway bar, subframe inserts and upper braces. This brace basically fixes the front subframe against the chassis. It works very well in stiffer suspensions because the soft subframe bushing were taking a lot of load from the suspension, which in turn moved all over the place. Hard fixing the subframe allows the suspension to do its job and also made the steering a lot sharper because the tie rods don't need to work against the subframe bushings anymore. It also fits the ipd skid plate by clearing it with half an inche of space in between. I don't feel any obvious degradation in ride quality and the car feels a tiny bit stiffer. The lower front brace seems to sit a bit higher than the lower rear one. Installation took 15 mins from the local indy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts