SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When changing it out, does the whole exhaust manifold have to come out? It looks like in order to get to the two torx screws in the middle on the cover it would have to come off. I've seen threads that say the change can be done in minutes so not sure.

On the bottom mount, does the engine have to be lifted of can the car just be on jack stands?

Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I believe you're referring to the turbo outlet tube that runs over the valve cover? Yes, that should get removed in order to get access to the bolts on the spark plug cover.

The engine mounts in the front and rear (large cylinders) need the engine lifted or jacked up to be removed.

The lower torque mount that fastens to the subframe doesn't need any special procedure to remove it. Just unbolt it.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. I ended up just taking a saw and cutting the corner of the cover off so I could get to the fourth bolt on the upper torque mount and replaced the whole thing rather than just the bushing. Lower one went on very easy. When it stops raining I'm going to take it for a drive and hope the random vibrations from 40-60 mph under throttle and clanks between gears are lessened.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Weren't you the one who modified your cover so you didn't always have to pull the OTE pipe? I swear I read someone else did that, albeit likely a lot cleaner than "taking a saw to it" :p LOL

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Almost, I run no covers, but since I need the upper timing cover I cut mine so I don't have to remove it to access my plugs. With a 04 OTE pipe you always need to yank it to remove the plugs, but its an easy job so I never mind that particular obstruction. I'm hoping the coils last a while when they are not living in some plastic encased oven.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts