SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have searched but cant find an answer. anyone know how to remove an upper rear control arm??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
If its what im thinking it is, its super difficult to remove and replace. Something that a dealer might need to do. When I worked at a shop a guy wanted the assembly replaced to fix his parking break and we deined doing the work because of the difficulty associated. Told him to go to the dealership because they had the certain tool needed.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If its what im thinking it is, its super difficult to remove and replace. Something that a dealer might need to do. When I worked at a shop a guy wanted the assembly replaced to fix his parking break and we deined doing the work because of the difficulty associated. Told him to go to the dealership because they had the certain tool needed.

[email protected]$! i dont want to spend the money at the dealer

·
Registered
439 Posts
[email protected]$! i dont want to spend the money at the dealer

I Dont blame you, its possible to do without the needed tools but you might need to break down your rear suspension a lot more the create more slack so you can pop the arm out. This is the part that is connected to your wheel hub and parking break and is oddly shaped with like 3 different bushings I believe, correct? If it's not that part I may be totally wrong .

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I Dont blame you, its possible to do without the needed tools but you might need to break down your rear suspension a lot more the create more slack so you can pop the arm out. This is the part that is connected to your wheel hub and parking break and is oddly shaped with like 3 different bushings I believe, correct? If it's not that part I may be totally wrong .

Close. that is the knuckle. but i still cant see how to get the control arm out. it's wedged between the subframe.

The Knuckle^

control arm v

Control arm

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yikes, I see. That looks pretty bad. that should be able to come out normally with out too much trouble however it being bent looks like thats where your issue is. Did the bolts come out okay? The only recommendation I could give is to try a few different things, it it was me I personally would drop the rear subframe or remove the rear strut to make a little more room. Are you sure the impact did not damage the subframe? I had a accident and my front subframe bent where the bolt connected to the rear control arm bushing. Although keep in mind I've never done work related to the rear suspension components of these cars, so my advice may not be that valid.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
every bolt has come out fine, subframe looks okay too. only really impacked my trailing arm and the control arm. it didn't bend, i just have it pushed down like that. i was trying to get it out. i lowered the rear subframe a little as well.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If you've been able to move it but not get it out I Dont see why it shouldn't come out. Seems like an issue of space to be able to get it removed

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
does it pull right out? or do i have to wiggle it? the bushings are still there for the control arm. do they need to be removed?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im about to say F it and cut it out lol. its broken anyways

·
Registered
439 Posts
You probably have to pry where the bushings are and once they become free then it should be easier to remove. However if you can cut it I'd say just cut it if you can't get it.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Here is my thread about replacing the control arm. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?193473-Dropping-the-rear-subframe

You gotta drop the rear subframe to get the bushings out and new control arm in. Also make sure you inspect the subframe closely or you might end up doing the job twice like me :(

I've dropped a bunch of rear ends on these and it's really not that bad once you get into it.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
to get the control arm out of the spindle, thread the bolt back in a little bit, put a socket and extension on it and hit it with a big hammer

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
to get the control arm out of the spindle, thread the bolt back in a little bit, put a socket and extension on it and hit it with a big hammer
thank you so much for your advice and thread! i will be trying tonight. its way too hot right now

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Got it.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Can we bring this thread back kindly? With my SF removed I am working my way around replacing all my bushings, I have some ideas for removal but the front upper control arm bushing doesn't have a good surface for anything to counter the forward pulling of said bushing. Any thoughts, ideas, or past experience? Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can we bring this thread back kindly? With my SF removed I am working my way around replacing all my bushings, I have some ideas for removal but the front upper control arm bushing doesn't have a good surface for anything to counter the forward pulling of said bushing. Any thoughts, ideas, or past experience? Thanks all.
holy thread revival bat man! i honestly have no remembrance on how i did this.. all i remember is it was a pita and i did it in the car

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Just cut it out

1 - 20 of 23 Posts