SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my upper engine mount today, it's pretty much dead/nonexistant. I have a 04 V70R (Automatic), what's a good mount to replace that has minimal vibration? I'm looking at either the Elevate black round one or the IPD Polyurethane one, but it seems like the IPD one might have worse vibration than the OEM one. Any good suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
I wouldn't do any poly mount with an automatic, too much vibration at idle but the Evolve (Elevate) black mount is one of the softest poly mounts if you must

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
^ EDIT: JRL beat me to it.

The OEM one certainly will have no vibration but as you've seen isn't as durable. The next best choice is the Elevate one (which I have on my 06R GT) that has a lifetime warranty and minimal vibration. The IPD one is a bit stiffer than the elevate one. It's a little annoying when at stop lights etc. but I usually have my music on and never notice it. Though it is sort of embarrassing when I have passengers in my car with the music turned down at a stop light! ;p

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks for the info! I'm leaning toward the Elevate one then. Are there any other mounts I should watch out for?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yes, the car will purr, even with the softer Elevate one. But shifting is noticeable smoother. Definitely get the poly trans mount from IPD as well. The car will purr even more though.

If you like idle vibration, get the engine bar conversion mounts too. I have all three and I get a massage at every stop light :D:D

It's actually not that bad, though you will find any loose interior pieces rattle, as well as loose change in the cupholders. I had to tighten my backseat dome light housing as well.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yeah, the vibrations pissed me off too much so I ditched the IPD poly bushing!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Someone more mechanically-inclined will have to chime in on this, but is there a way to adjust the idle on our electronic-throttle R's? The vibrations are most prominent between 700-800 rpms. If we could raise the idle by 100rpms or so, it might mostly go away.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update, swapped out my old engine mount for a new one from Evolve today, got the Evolve/Elevate black one. Throttle feels much more responsive now, which is awesome. Noticeably more vibration in the steering wheel, but my passenger said it wasn't noticeable. Guess it's something I have to live with now.

Here's what my old one looked like at 96k miles (Sorry for the horrible cell phone pic). The center part was completely detached from the outside ring already, and the bit that took work to remove was the outer ring that was stuck inside the mount.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Just to confirm, you had to buy an entire new mount to switch to the round-style bushing, right? My 04 VR's mount uses the square style and it looks like to upgrade I'll have to replace the entire thing.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Just to confirm, you had to buy an entire new mount to switch to the round-style bushing, right? My 04 VR's mount uses the square style and it looks like to upgrade I'll have to replace the entire thing.
If you have the square style on an 2004, than it has been replaced. All 2004's had the round mount, the square mount was a later, improved mount. If you want to use an aftermarket bushing, you are correct in that you will need the older style mount.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
A good source for the older style round mount is the shop at a Volvo dealer. Just talk to a tech and you might be able to get a worn out one out of their trash barrel. As long as you are going to replace the rubber anyway. They don't remove the rubber, just put in a new mount and toss the old. Your gain.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If you have the square style on an 2004, than it has been replaced. All 2004's had the round mount, the square mount was a later, improved mount. If you want to use an aftermarket bushing, you are correct in that you will need the older style mount.
Elevate sells a poly square mount

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
has anyone tried this square poly mount? better than oem? this mount is on my to do list also
I had it in my 2008 S60 2.5T, it's a very good mount, easy to install, and I never had any problems, it's still on the car (now my sister's) and it is still in great shape after 20,000 miles and 2 years.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
has anyone tried this square poly mount? better than oem? this mount is on my to do list also
I have it on my 04 SR as it was replaced under warranty by a prev owner. No complaints here

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. The square bushing from Elevate is $59 and the iPD mount and bushing package is $68. For $9 more I get a backout plan for the next owner, seems like a better option.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My mount looked exactly the same when I changed mine out in September. I used the IPD poly and there is definitely more vibrations, but it's not annoying. Then again, I've got an MT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the Elevate/Evolve upper engine mount and after one month I couldn't stand it anymore. The vibration was too much. Of course it all depends on the owner of how much vibration they can stand. I changed mine out to a stock one and was so much happier with the quiet/smoothness. I changed my lower transmission mount to the ipd one and the vibration is bearable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts