SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!

I have a 2013 S60 T5 model, and ever since I bought it I've regretted not getting the higher end model at the very least for the 18" wheels. (my T5 has the factory 17" wheels). I've been looking at Volvo's wheel selection and I really like the Freja 18" wheels. Does anyone have any advice about whether or not its a bad idea to upgrade from a 17" wheel to an 18" wheel on a car that was perhaps designed for a 17" wheel? Is there any cause for concern?

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm ready to lay down my credit card for those beautiful Frejas.

--Doug

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Hey Everyone!

I have a 2013 S60 T5 model, and ever since I bought it I've regretted not getting the higher end model at the very least for the 18" wheels. (my T5 has the factory 17" wheels). I've been looking at Volvo's wheel selection and I really like the Freja 18" wheels. Does anyone have any advice about whether or not its a bad idea to upgrade from a 17" wheel to an 18" wheel on a car that was perhaps designed for a 17" wheel? Is there any cause for concern?

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm ready to lay down my credit card for those beautiful Frejas.

--Doug
Absolutely no cause for concern. Your car was designed to handle at least 19" wheels (the Polestar cars actually have 20") so OEM 18x8 wheels will fit with ease.

The Freja's will fit fine as they have the same wheel offset of 55 as the 18x8 wheels that come stock with S60's from 2011+.

http://www.vivaperformance.com/18x8-freja-wheel-diamond-cut-dark-grey-matte/

·
Registered
585 Posts
Depending upon the diameter of the tires you have now, and the tires you get later, you may need to have the speedo recalibrated.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Morale of the story: buy the nicer car with nicer wheels at the get go! I too suffer from wheel envy and have regretted a few previous purchases.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
You might have some rub if you don't add the deflection limiters:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/S60(11-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-472812/2013

I personally would not add them due to the added cost in labor (it is a limiter that goes on the
steering rack to limit how far the wheel can be turned to void rubbing at full lock). The above link
has the install instructions. Actually, it looks like it is not that much work (I probably
would still not add them).

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
18" will be fine. Any decent tire shop will sell you tires that will not cause too much speedo/odo miscalculation.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Depending upon the diameter of the tires you have now, and the tires you get later, you may need to have the speedo recalibrated.
Or just live with the error... I switched from 245/40/18 to 245/45/18 on my S80. Much better size. Speedo reads 2-3 mph low on the freeway. Who cares? You get used to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts