SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 S60 T5 has about 95K miles and has checked just about every known problem for this model including the oil consumption, transmission problem and the latest water leak from failing windshield top sealant.

In the search for a S40 for my son, I've come to see some great deals on S60 T5s and some T6s.

Does it make sense to "upgrade" to say 2012/13/14 S60 T6 AWD? My goal is, with some patience and heavy search, to eventually end up with a T6 with less than or around 50K mi for about $10K. The way I see it, I can sell mine for about $6-7K and eventually it would mean that I've invested $3-4K in a newer, better car. I know that at almost 100K mi my T5 would start needing more work that could amount to a few thousand dollars. So why not invest that in another, better car? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I agree this is a good time to sell, especially if the car does not need any repair at the moment and you've not just spent a bunch of money on it. You should be able to get 7-8K for it I think. I just sold mine back in July with around 86K miles.
Whether to get another S60 is up to you. I personally would try something else. Life is too short. But if you do get a low mileage T6 for a few extra thousands that can be fun for a few years.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally would try something else. Life is too short.
What would you consider? I have my dream cars - Jaguar, Lexus, Land Rover but I don't think I can afford them now, nor I need them. I take the train to work (under normal circumstances) so my car literally sits on the parking lot for 10-12 hours every day. What's the point right?

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M
1,542 Posts
I think he’s maybe talking about a different Volvo model, not a different brand entirely!
If you’re looking exclusively at sedans, I’d definitely look into getting a lower mileage S80 T6 if you’re into the more luxury-oriented side of cars.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If it were me and I wanted a T6, I think I'd try to budget a 2015.5 or later car. Going to a 12/13/14 from your existing car (with a known history) to one that's much the same, albeit possibly with lower miles but also potential for those same problems you already fixed, is not really with it IMO. The 2015.5 on would have upgraded tech, Sensus connect etc that would make the jump worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
What would you consider? I have my dream cars - Jaguar, Lexus, Land Rover but I don't think I can afford them now, nor I need them. I take the train to work (under normal circumstances) so my car literally sits on the parking lot for 10-12 hours every day. What's the point right?
Good question. I have not bought anything yet because at this point we only need one car. I'm enjoying the one car situation especially that we only have a 1-car garage.
If I were to stick with a sedan and wanted luxury then maybe a Lexus. MB is nice but would probably cost more. Some nice used E-class out there. So many choices....

·
Registered
270 Posts
What do you want in a car? Fast in a straight line? Great handling? Modern tech? Sporty or luxury? Something uncommon? Moddability and a big tuner community? Space? Fuel economy?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
S60 is about the size of sedan I want especially now that my kids are older and will not ride with me anymore. I could use the extra power of T6. I like what Volvo offers - different, uncommon, surprising, wolf in a sheep's clothing in regards to power. Most people think Volvo is a car for "old" people (and approaching 50, I may qualify lol), or a family car and I like that shock effect it offers. I don't want to spend tons of money on a new car though, and I'm afraid I don't know anything about other brands. With S60 I'm familiar with most of the components and basic maintenance and repairs so I'm more comfortable. I have to say that I like the somewhat classic looking interior. I hate the iPad or whatever it is in the center console that the newer cars have - it's ugly, fingerprints on it, cheap looking... argh. I also like the rough-ish sound the 5 cyl T5 makes... maybe an American muscle car thing or something... but I hate the wimpy sound and feel the new 4 cyl produces.

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
I also second the '15.5 S60 T6 - see if you can find an R Design - that will be a bit more differentiated from your current car.

As for your current car if it were me I'd let my son commute to school with it. It's a known commodity as opposed to a used S40 that you have no idea how it's been treated, what issues it has. Any value difference between your old S60 and a used S40 would easily be consumed by an unexpected repair on the S40.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Check out carsandbids.com A Red 2012 S60 RD with 108K miles sold for $8,100. You never know what interesting car will come up.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As for your current car if it were me I'd let my son commute to school with it. It's a known commodity as opposed to a used S40 that you have no idea how it's been treated, what issues it has. Any value difference between your old S60 and a used S40 would easily be consumed by an unexpected repair on the S40.
T5 is a bit too much for my 18yo, and if I give him mine his mom doesn't end up paying for half of it ;)

There's just not many S40s in the area. The best one I found is about 120 miles away, 2010 S40 with 101,000 mi selling for about $5K. One owner, beautiful interior/exterior with freshly replaced CV joints.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Whether to get another S60 is up to you. I personally would try something else. Life is too short.
Agree with this line of thinking. Volvo's are nice, different, surprising - sure. But how do you know what you are missing out on if you only stick with one brand. If you are in the US, you are in the land of the V8, cheap gas, big roads. You mention liking the "muscle car sound" of the T5, go an buy an actual muscle car. Your kids dont need to be carted around, you aren't clocking up a lot of miles, go have your mid life crisis!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you are in the US, you are in the land of the V8, cheap gas, big roads. You mention liking the "muscle car sound" of the T5, go an buy an actual muscle car. Your kids dont need to be carted around, you aren't clocking up a lot of miles, go have your mid life crisis!
True. What do you have in mind? Corvette? I don't have a baldhead yet, but I do have the blonde for the passenger's seat 😉

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've always liked the Mustang, they are quite expensive in Australia so it probably wont happen for me. But from what i understand, there are lots of generations as options for you. Big old V8 under the hood, open road - beautiful!

Never seen a Corvette to know if thats a good option. I was always a GM guy growing up with Holden SS and the LS V8s, those things make nice sounds. Unfortunately the good ones were out of budget for me and now when i could actually afford one, they dont make them anymore.

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M
1,542 Posts
If you like the T5, you’ll love a Viper.

·
Registered
743 Posts
My brother got himself an A5 2.0T convertible. I think it's a unicorn as we used to say in VW's forum. It has AWD, power, a backseat if needed, and is beautiful. Certified ones save on depreciation, make sure it's dealer maintained with all maintenance history.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Back to the thread's original topic... so couple of guys have recommended 2015.5 T6. Isn't that a new engine introduced back then? Kind of like what I have now in my 2012 T5 and that car had tons of problems all around. Am I not looking at the same situation with 2015.5 T6?

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
Back to the thread's original topic... so couple of guys have recommended 2015.5 T6. Isn't that a new engine introduced back then? Kind of like what I have now in my 2012 T5 and that car had tons of problems all around. Am I not looking at the same situation with 2015.5 T6?
I wouldn't be as worried. That motor has been around in various forms (3.2 liter naturally aspirated, 3 liter turbo "T6") since 2007.

I have three cars with the T6 - IMHO it's the best motor Volvo ever made, lol.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts