SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://androidcommunity.com/ca-fi-6...ndroid-infotainment-system-unveiled-20120717/

Let's face it, but the r is a great car but as the years go by its connectivity and electronics leave something to be desired. I have However, I I found this system on pulse that describes an android powered head unit. This is only preliminary but do you think this would work in our car's and do you think we could get the steering wheel mounted controls to work?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
463 Posts
I sort-of agree with you about the connectivity. I can tie-in my iPod, but I do not get display of my music titles / artist / etc.

However, other than that, MY "Info" System consists of Guages, Engine Sounds, and my surroundings
My "Tainment" System mostly consists of 6 on the floor and about 300 under the hood, combined with some decent rubber.
(The stock unit rocks-out pretty decently - a little more "make your ears bleed" power wouldn't hurt, but it aint bad.)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I don't want to deal with crashing apps, or missing codecs, or steering wheel controls that work half the time and half not. So, I bought Kenwood, and later JVC. I let them figure out the bugs and with an extended SquareTrade warranty, I have nothing to worry about for 4 years (or more). I used to be into carPCs but got tired of troubleshooting around problems. The stock system is great for some folks, just like the stock R engine is fine for some people. Others yearn for more.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you mind if i ask what kenwood and jvc system you used?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Sure, I started with a DNX-5140 because I liked Kenwood products and wanted navigation. Their navi's are actually Garmin, so the maps and interface are really nice. That unit worked for over a year before it developed an internal heat fault and would reboot itself. I went back and forth with Kenwood and their service center, even disassembling it and applying new heatsinks and thermal grease. Long story short, I could never fix it so I sold it as broken on eBay.

The JVC I got to replace it was much cheaper because it has no navigation, but I also got a portable 5" Magellan and I actually like that more. I added 3 years of SquareTrade warranty to the stock 1 year and so far it's been really great, easy to use, good sound quality and plenty of options. The model is in my signature.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I installed Pioneer's AppRadio 2 which is basically an AM/FM radio with a 7-inch touch screen. It has connections for both iStuff and Andriod so the phone becomes the brains of the headunit. It's still a new product so they're working out some of the bugs, but looks to have great promise.

Picked up an adapter cable off eBay to connect to the factory amp. I didn't get an adapter (yet) for the steering controls; I just can't see spending 200 bones for a CAN module just yet. Still need to install the rearview camera, but it can wait a little.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have the iMiV unit in my car, and my iPod is mounted so I can press and play on the go and see what's playing. That's all I need, for now haha..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when you upgraded the headunit did you lose the center speaker? Also, is it possible to add a different headunit and keep the center speaker and dolby pro logic?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Sounds like a huge waste of money. Buy a tablet, and buy torque, and a bluetooth OBD connector for 20$. You've already saved hundreds, and then you won't have to leave your 1000$ computer in the car at all times.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
honestly, using a tablet seems like the way to go. I was thinking a galaxy tab or a retina display ipad. I mean the functionality they offer is second to none and I already have an srs app on my droid that can take stereo sound and convert it into surround sound. Plus, im not looking at a 1200 dollar, low resolution, already outdated navigation system.

·
Registered
543 Posts
when you upgraded the headunit did you lose the center speaker? Also, is it possible to add a different headunit and keep the center speaker and dolby pro logic?
Yeah, I lost my center channel but then I'm old enough to remember stereos without them and didn't have a problem losing it. There are HU's with center channels, you just have a very limited number to choose from. Honestly, I don't think you lose too much so I wouldn't be too concerned.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I lost it but then regained it by feeding it a FL- and FR+ signal from the HU. I'm using the OEM amp driven by the pre-outs for the other channels. It's a mixed center and the volume level it even with the other speakers. I never cared much for the Dolby mix, the center vocal was distracting and difficult for rear passengers to hear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts