SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any good options here?

In the last several cars I've owned I've never purposely shopped for the premium sound, and never been disappointed either, but with my 2017 S90 T6 Momentum Plus, I feel like the sound leaves a lot to be desired.

Is there any way to give it a little bump without breaking the bank?

Maybe a little trunk sub or something? Is it difficult to wire in this car? I noticed there is some sort of box under the cover in the trunk with lots of connections on it. Is it easy to tap into the required signals there?

I'm not looking to have one of those cars where the whole damned thing vibrates due to the subwoofer, just a small upgrade.

I'd like to hear what other owners have done.

Much obliged,
Matt

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you didn't go with the upgraded audio system from Volvo (the Bang system) I think you missed out.
It was a CPO model, and these S90's aren't exactly that common. So when a T6 came along with the Momentum Plus package I wanted, I felt I needed to snap it up or miss out.

Sadly it didn't have the premium sound. In fact, premium sound wasn't even on my shopping list, as I've never needed it before. The standard sound has always been enough for me, but in this car, that really isn't the case.

Either way, that ship has sailed. Surely someone must have done something after market to improve upon the base factory audio?

·
Registered
549 Posts
You could be the first one. Just put an RCA filter plugged to your rear speakers and an amplifier with low pass band. Some of the newer RCA filters can also provide the supply to tell the amp the car is on. I used to have this setup in my previous 5-series wagon. Just adding the bass makes a huge difference in sound quality.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree, I also have the basic sound system in my S90 and it ain't all that. I have usually opted for a standard stereo system in previous cars I've owned and they were good enough or I could upgrade them without much effort. I mostly listen to traditional and modern jazz and it just does not sound that great. I like to hear those brush sticks on cymbals, a double bass when bowed you can hear the details as it rubs across the strings. Hearing fingers depress the valves on woodwinds, etc. I could hear all these details on a fairly lower end system in other cars, but not his one. I have a great home system and know how to adjust equalization settings, etc. It helps in this car but not well enough. And from what I've seen in other posts on this forum, it would be extremely difficult to try to upgrade. I got a good deal on the car but would have purchased an upgraded model if I knew it would be near impossible to upgrade the stereo.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
There's a few people over here in Sweden who already did it. ;)
Here's one, scroll down a bit to a picture with the boot open:
https://www.instagram.com/norsken97/
Wow.

That's a bit larger than I had in mind for mine.

I'm not into competition sound, and I don't feel the need to have a serious bass solution.

I'm thinking more of a subtle augmentation of the sound might be what I'm going for.

Rather than building a custom box, I wonder if there is any product on the market that is good.

I am a bit of a home theatre audiophile, but I've never bothered with car audio, so I have little to no knowledge there. I'd imagine since the cabin of a car is comparably small when compared to a house, I'd need much smaller capacity.

The goal would be to get something musical that blends with the factory stereo, not something that gets too boomy.

I wonder if any of these are good:
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_51000/Powered-Subwoofers.html?tp=64082

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This little unit seems to get surprisingly good reviews for its size:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html

Or maybe this is a better option, with the 10" driver:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B10AS/Sound-Ordnance-B-10AS.html

Both are self contained units, and should give me a nice small boost to fill out the factory sound without going crazy.

Now I just need to figure out how to wire it.

I saw an amp looking box under the trunk cover right behind the seats. It even looked like it might have some open connections on it. Not sure if that actually is the amp, but if it is, this may turn out being easier than I thought.

·
Registered
549 Posts
For years I used to have a Bazooka 8", that was plenty! The only weird thing about it is that the cylinder is hard to place versus a slim rectangular box.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Wow.

That's a bit larger than I had in mind for mine.
Yeah I was just messing around, but "everything" is possible even with our cars! ;)
I've personally been thinking of swapping my standard speakers for the B&W ones. Mostly for the looks but any sound performance gain is welcome even though I'm actually quite happy with the standard option.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I was just messing around, but "everything" is possible even with our cars! ;)
I've personally been thinking of swapping my standard speakers for the B&W ones. Mostly for the looks but any sound performance gain is welcome even though I'm actually quite happy with the standard option.
Yeah, I have not missed any clarity with the standard speakers. They sound very clear and distortion free.

They are just a bit bright and forward for me, even with treble turned all the way down, and bass all the way up.

I figure I could solve this with a moderate subwoofer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am very interested in hearing how your system turns out. I also have the standard system and really want a sub.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I agree, I also have the basic sound system in my S90 and it ain't all that. I have usually opted for a standard stereo system in previous cars I've owned and they were good enough or I could upgrade them without much effort. I mostly listen to traditional and modern jazz and it just does not sound that great. I like to hear those brush sticks on cymbals, a double bass when bowed you can hear the details as it rubs across the strings. Hearing fingers depress the valves on woodwinds, etc. I could hear all these details on a fairly lower end system in other cars, but not his one. I have a great home system and know how to adjust equalization settings, etc. It helps in this car but not well enough. And from what I've seen in other posts on this forum, it would be extremely difficult to try to upgrade. I got a good deal on the car but would have purchased an upgraded model if I knew it would be near impossible to upgrade the stereo.
My county Police Interceptor Utility has a better sound quality when I stream music from YouTube on my iPhone than my V90 wagon.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am very interested in hearing how your system turns out. I also have the standard system and really want a sub.
Well, I am in the early planning stages. I usually do a lot of research before I go ahead, so it will likely be a while.

Right now though, my needs are a little bass boost (not car audio competition craziness), with an emphasis on musicality over deep power.

Because of this, I am considering a pre-made sealed unit, not a ported one. This may change as I do more research though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anyone just swap out the standard speakers for something better without amps/subs/etc.? I've been wondering if that would be worthwhile.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes I only switched the tweeters and mid range speaker in front doors and roof. I also added the tweeters and mid range to the rear doors. From my19 the roof mid range was moved to the rear door.

Roof speakers

Added speakers to the rear door

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes I only switched the tweeters and mid range speaker in front doors and roof. I also added the tweeters and mid range to the rear doors. From my19 the roof mid range was moved to the rear door.

Roof speakers

Added speakers to the rear door

1.) There are speakers in the roof ??? :eek:

2.) The rear door speakers are empty in the base config? :eek:

3.) Are those the official Volvo B&W speaker parts?

4.) Details please? How much did it cost? Which parts did you get? Where did they go? Was it an easy install?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, I did some poking around the car today to start plotting for an install.

For trunk subs, I guess most people tap into the hat shelf speakers, and run a wire with a filter to the trunk? This could be doable, but a little tricky. The roof of the trunk is all metal, so the accessibility to the bottom of the hat shelf speakers is limited. I might be able to poke a wire through one of the little holes, and then pull the speaker, tap into the wires under it, and replace the speaker. Going to be tight work with my big hands though, especially so close to the rear window.

hatshelf1.jpg trunk1.jpg

I did some further poking around and found this little junction box looking thing under the floor panel just behind the seats:

box1.jpg

The holder for the simcard for Mobile internet is right next to it, so I know it has something to do with wireless communication, but there sure are a lot of wires coming out of it. I wonder if one of them carries an audio signal... That would certainly make things easier...

·
Registered
120 Posts
1.) There are speakers in the roof ??? :eek:

2.) The rear door speakers are empty in the base config? :eek:

3.) Are those the official Volvo B&W speaker parts?

4.) Details please? How much did it cost? Which parts did you get? Where did they go? Was it an easy install?
1 I was thinking V90
2 the base should be there but just lift of the door panel to see for your self, check youtube.
3 yes they are used B&W speakers
4 eBay or some junkyard

Your photo shows the 360cam box.

The amp looks normaly like this

·
Registered
244 Posts
N4n, many are prolly listening to 192kb MP3 via BT. Shiz inn shiz out. Especially if you're streaming Spotyfy, XM/Sirius. HD radio, for the most part, is also compressed.
MP3 is band limited and compressed format and BT is compressed.

But lets say you've moved beyond that and are listening to m4a, flac, or wma, better quality lossless formats.
The stock sound in the '18 S90 Volvo is pretty damn good on the low end. It's a little harsh in the upper middle; I have mine dipped a bit at 1K and 3K.
Unless you're running a hip hop night club, extra bottom is rather unrealistic. But to each their own. Drop a couple quid on some 8" ported alum cone woofs.
I have a Mc 2115 I'll sell you get them babies clean. Just need to get [email protected] in your car.
FWIW, dl a SPL meter for your phone. I use SmartTools Sound Meter for Android. They're good enough. If you're listening at > 95db for hours on end, one day you will be on the business side of "huh?".
Yes, I crank AC/DC, Coltrane, Bjork and the Stones now and then to 95 plus. But mostly 85db.
Not to brag, I have 40 + years in professional sound TV and music. The consoles I work on are worth more then a tricked out S90.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts