SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Vertical integration of CarPlay please in the new software
yeah, that's all that I really want. And they could do it if they wanted to.

Just let the phone take over the display and get rid of the stupid "via CarPlay" tabs that take up the top of the screen.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Vertical integration of CarPlay please in the new software
That’s my biggest hurdle besides accepting that Google has sunk its tentacles into Volvo. Porsche had declared they would never integrate Google into their infotainment because of the high penalty they invoke in return including gathering telematics details that would capture driver habits, how their HW is used etc essentially revealing Porsche’s IP and trade secrets directly or indirectly.

Reactions: adrianmtl

·
Registered
2021, V60 CC
118 Posts
yeah, that's all that I really want. And they could do it if they wanted to.

Just let the phone take over the display and get rid of the stupid "via CarPlay" tabs that take up the top of the screen.
A maximize feature for the CarPlay app would be good. Like the one in Navigation.

Re upgrades to AA, what makes the OP assume the hardware is even compatible? Even if compatible, there would be contractual and safety issues. All provided manuals refer to the Sensus system, then if this add-on, say, contributed to some form of accident, the risk for Volvo would be enormous.

No car company does further development for older models.

·
Registered
672 Posts
A maximize feature for the CarPlay app would be good. Like the one in Navigation.

Re upgrades to AA, what makes the OP assume the hardware is even compatible? Even if compatible, there would be contractual and safety issues. All provided manuals refer to the Sensus system, then if this add-on, say, contributed to some form of accident, the risk for Volvo would be enormous.

No car company does further development for older models.
Tesla.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Purely guessing / speculating here but the safest implementation of increased Android functionality would be to leave Sensus mostly alone. In parallel, implement a completely separate, standalone computer that uses the center screen (and ideally the driver's instrument panel and HUD) as well as the car's sound system as merely additional displays and a speaker system - that Sensus can override at any moment if needed. Otherwise, the user can switch the displays between input from Volvo's Sensus or input from the standalone computer with Android, similar to (but not the same as) a computer KVM switch.

The 3 videos I posted earlier above (#16) appears to mix Sensus and Android completely together - which is even more complicated than what I'm proposing - but I'd be happy with something even simpler: let Sensus be and let the user switch the displays (center + instrument panel + HUD) and sound to the standalone Android (which is not Android Automotive!) when needed.

(Or maybe this is what the standalone systems in the videos are doing already? Sorry, I'm not a software guy!)

If some 3rd party does this simpler setup already, I would love to get their info!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Also interested. 2020 Volvo was such a downgrade from 2013 BMW idrive.
I like using BMW iDrive but I find that most of the vehicle functions are buried far into the menus for simple changes. I do like that the new iDrive system can update OTA though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Reactions: crossota

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Also interested. 2020 Volvo was such a downgrade from 2013 BMW idrive.
I guess everyone has an opinion on this but I much prefer Volvo Sensus to BMW Idrive…….imo it’s not even close! In fact it’s one of the reasons I sold my 4 series F32 and bought an S60.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
With the used car market as strong as it is, it might be a great time to sell or trade, even if it's just to get better infotainment. My wife is a retired hospital worker and I'm still working in software. When I drive her '17 XC90, the infotainment system infuriates me, and I'm always asking her how to get out of some screen, or into the one I need. The pathetic CarPlay half-screen integration is a big part of it, but also the oddball way we have to enable CarPlay (sometimes). And, we've had unexplained problems -- a feedback loop developed somehow that made the car unusable until I started unplugging microphones--even after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. There was no way to get the system out of "phone call" or "voice assist" mode (if I were guessing what resulted in the feedback). I'm very tempted to look at the AA interface in the new models. I love the configuration of our 2017 T6 Momentum, so I'd hate to pick something off the lot that's different and then regret it. But...maybe my wife will like something on the lot even better, and I can get over it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You will never see an upgrade of Sensus to AA. They are completely different beasts. My 2020 V60 CC seems ancient compared to my 2021 XC40 P8. The AA interface requires different HW and interfaces with the car differently. I agree, that every 2022 and newer should have AA though. It's a shame that any new model being sold right now from Volvo does not have AA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I almost bought a CPO 2019, it was fantastic and great price but I couldn’t get over the infotainment system. So I’m going to wait for a 2022 or beyond.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
With the used car market as strong as it is, it might be a great time to sell or trade, even if it's just to get better infotainment. My wife is a retired hospital worker and I'm still working in software.
Software engineering at it`s best there at Volvo.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts