SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This tread is to continue the discussion about Volvo corporate offering upgrades for Model Years 2016+ to the new "Android Automotive." The media release below relates to MY22s but the legacy MY16+ models are not addressed:

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glo...nt-system-with-google-built-in-to-more-models

Does anyone know how we can make the vision of upgrades a reality? Tesla offers infotainment upgrades for 2k. Infotainment Upgrade

If Telsa can offer upgrades, Volvo should be able to do the same right?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Where does it say 2016+ in the press release?

It actually says clearly
"*From model year 2022"

2018 V90 CC T6 P*

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where does it say 2016+ in the press release?

It actually says clearly
"*From model year 2022"

2018 V90 CC T6 P*
Agreed, I corrected the text of the discussion starter. My point is that I'm hoping Volvo can offer upgrades similar to Tesla. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Seriously doubt it. Tesla seems to be a high tech company that builds cars where Volvo is a car company that is upgrading its technology (assuming the Google stuff is an upgrade - I haven't seen it yet). Completely different mindset there and planning for an completely software, upgradable infotainment system from the start probably wasn't a priority for Volvo.

Come on, Volvo! Prove me wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: VolvoUhu

·
Registered
80 Posts
There used to be an old thread talking about an aftermarket upgrade option to Android in Hong Kong. Technically the hardware should be capable. It’s up to Volvo…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm almost confident Volvo won't upgrade current models to Android Automotive. It just doesn't make any sense when they can sell you a new car. Although, I don't understand why they didn't upgrade the entire MY22 line up to Android Automotive. It could either be because of the supply shortages or because the hardware is already in the vehicles?

We have already seen in 2018 how Volvo was showing off the new system in the ICE XC40, but that was a prototype and has no real meaning. Hopefully, they planned for the future, but I have my doubts.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would imagine the biggest hurdle here on a technical level is that back in 2012 or whenever they were designing the 2016+ hardware and software they had no inkling they’d be using the systems they have now. It’s probably totally different as far as car interfaces and hardware for Android Auto.

With the Tesla system, and with Android Auto going forward, it’s more like a smartphone where you can drop new releases of software on a variety of hardware and the interfaces/car APIs are all there.

I’m just guessing though, it’s possible Android Auto knows how to control the older Volvo systems and they can talk to it. The XC40 recharge got an upgrade, they probably needed to change some car systems or tailor the software to it somehow in addition to the head unit internal hardware. I mean I guess it’s probably just reading and sending commands on the CAN bus, but the OTA stuff at least would probably be limited.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would imagine the biggest hurdle here on a technical level is that back in 2012 or whenever they were designing the 2016+ hardware and software they had no inkling they’d be using the systems they have now. It’s probably totally different as far as car interfaces and hardware for Android Auto.
Volvo upgraded the processor for Sensus in 2019 to be "50 percent faster" so maybe they had future upgrades in mind?

·
Registered
7,304 Posts
I would pay $3k from my pocket for upgraded IHM module and Sensus Automotive. But I bet they don't want my money.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I would pay $3k from my pocket for upgraded IHM module and Sensus Automotive. But I bet they don't want my money.
It would be interesting if someone did this aftermarket. How much would it cost and what would be involved?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would be willing to pay a premium for the upgrade as well. I wonder if we should start an online petition. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Volvo upgraded the processor for Sensus in 2019 to be "50 percent faster" so maybe they had future upgrades in mind?
Perhaps! It seems like offering an upgrade will be a good way to generate additional revenue and increase brand loyalty.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
There are 3rd parties that have implemented Android on Sensus like these links, so while it's not Android Automotive, more extensive Android functionality does exist versus Android Auto (which the older SPA cars have now & is not the same as the newer Android Automotive) - with purchase of some 3rd party hardware if I recall correctly. I just have no idea (nor time to investigate) how much effort is needed it to make it happen. I'm sure someone here does though :)

Boy would I love to have a full screen of Android! Even better if the HUD and instrument panel was tied to it - dreaming . . .

Israel?
???
Korea?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Replacing the existing ASIC (core processing chip) with a newer generation is likely to be more manageable than having the ASIC and the entire board support a different operating system (e.g. from in-house Sensus to Android Automotive). For the latter, the way Sensus handles hardware abstraction layer etc may be very different from how something that is designed to operate across many hardware designs. Because of that, it may require a complete redesign like the one found in the Recharge version of XC40 ( & Polestar 2 & upcoming C40 Recharge ). For "low volume" efforts like in automotive applications (compared to mobile phone / tablet consumer electronics), this may be a large undertaking.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree with the others that is unlikely for Volvo to offer AA as an upgrade as they would just prefer you to purchase a new car, like all the automakers, except maybe Tesla.

But for those of us that are still under the Volvo warranty, or extended warranty, I have a feeling that Volvo might summarily cancel either if you showed up at a dealer with pretty much any issue they can tie back to not having the stock Senus.

If you don't have a warranty - have at with that unit from Asia. Probably the best you are going to ever find.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts