SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally ordered the new 2021 R-Design front grill that now comes with black surround trim. Swap was pretty painless and plug and play for my 2018 R-Design (that came with the satin trim surround). Part number to order is #31655799 :D

I did notice there are some changes in the grill design other than the surround trim being black. The actual vents are a different design as well as the center Volvo emblem is now solid. The metal trim inside the grill and the Volvo logo are also a satin look instead of chrome. Even with the center emblem design change the front camera can still be used from the 2018 earlier grill.

The grill removal is actually not bad and does not require removal of the bumper. There are two small screws in the upper corners next to the headlights that can be accessed once the upper clips are removed to pull the grill away from the front a little. Once the screws are removed the rest of the grill is just clipped in and can be removed. I found it easy to get the upper corner clips to pop out but for the lower ones I reached down behind the grill and used my hand to help release the bottom clips. You can angle the grill out a bit for clearance once the upper clips are released.

Here are some pics of the install...

New grill part number

Pic of the two grills - my old one has the black vinyl that is peeling off

Close up of the two emblems

Removal of the tops panels

Pic of the clips to remove on the top... you push down the center section to release them then pop them out

Picture of the screw in the upper corners that needs to be removed

To be continued in...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here is the tool (small rachet) I used to remove the upper screws

Here are the clips on the grill that need to be released by hand

Pic of the grill removed

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here is the detail on the front camera swap

Pic of camera in original 2018 grill

Pic of the camera mount in the new 2021 grill

Pic of the retaining clip for the camera that needs to be popped off to remove it

Pic of the camera itself

Pic of the camera reinstalled into the new 2021 grill

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Pic of the final result...

And what my original grill looks like with the black vinyl wrap removed

Pretty happy with how it turned out. My reason for the upgrade is I love the blacked out look with my Bursting Blue color but the vinyl wrap I had was started to wear (and peel) after 3 years. Since Volvo came out with a factory option I decided it was worth the swap.
:partywave:

·
Registered
925 Posts
That looks really really nice! I also have a bursting blue Volvo and I love the black grill. Mine is an XC 40 so it also has black on the roof

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Very strange... I could see them when I posted but now its invalid.

Funny enough, I used the same method to post all of the pictures... so no idea why some are showing and others are not. :confused:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't access the images in the last couple posts for some reason - would love to see it, possible to host them here? https://imgbb.com/
What is the trick to get the image to show in the post? I tried to link it but it says invalid file... it will only let me post the URL to the host site.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Looks to be about $400?

·
Registered
16 Posts
What is the trick to get the image to show in the post? I tried to link it but it says invalid file... it will only let me post the URL to the host site.
You're right, it's pretty annoying. I upload to imgbb then do this - right click and grab the image address, then paste it into the post with that image button.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Wait... do you have active grill shutters? Or are those shadows in the next-to-last pic?
I so, so, so much wanted those in the USA, but no go. Does Canada get them?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Good call on this and I would love to replace the grill on my BB v90. Wonder if it would be similar to swap out.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Using the Tap A Talk app (on android at least) is just a paste operation from whatever the picture is from. Very painless . . .

And thx for documenting all this!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Wait... do you have active grill shutters? Or are those shadows in the next-to-last pic?
It should be available in Canada market, at least in the spec.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
598 Posts
It should be available in Canadian market, at least in the spec.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No active shutters. This is just a standard R-Design grill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you have plans for your old grill? I might be interested in taking it off of your hands if you don't.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts