SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I upgraded my headlights to HID's using those plug in play hid kits, wasnt really a plug in play as I had to used two relay harness one for each side plus two 50w resistors to get rid of the BOW.

Anyways, I had my wife drive the xc90 behind me and I noticed that the driver side headlight was brighter then the passenger side, Why?

Bad bulbs? Bad Ballast? Bad ground? The ground cables are mounted to the cars factory ground cables.

Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
Probably because it's a crappy plug & pray ebay kit...three alternatives:

1. live with it
2. ask the seller for a refund and/or buy new kits until you find two that matches
3. get xenon headlamps from another xc90

·
Registered
668 Posts
How are the headlights aimed? The aim can make one light look much brighter than the other.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The aim is good, one other way I had knew one headlight was more brighter then the other was that the driver side HID at night has a much brighter spot on the road then the passenger side. I don't think its a power issue as both ballast are getting there own source of 12v from each relay harness. bad ballast? I do have a set of new bulbs and a set of new slim 55w ballast sitting in my office. I took them out and switched to the 35w as the ballast on the slim's were getting very hot. also both kits are from vvme I asked them to help with the issue and they never responded.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
if the bulb is getting different color, or the seller send you wrong kelvin on that one, or the bulb got damage on the start up and make some yellow carbon on the capsule. I will not use 55W on any car, HIDS has a lot of current on start up, about 75W on 35W ballast, the 55W are much more and our stock harness is not make for it. Just inspect if both bulbs has exactly the same position inside the housing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both bulbs are the same color and one or the other is not turing a yellow color both are 6000K, Also I have already changed the bulbs out and same thing driver side still brighter then passenger side as shown in the picture. Also I'm using two relay harnesses so a 55w ballast would not affect the stock wiring. Both bulbs are in the same position as shown in the picture both bulbs are shown to be alined. In the picture above your post is the picture of my headlights with hids installed but as you can see the bright spot on the road on the driver side is much brighter then the passenger side headlight.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright I'm back, ok so my sister has hids in her car different brand ballast and she has no issues, I took her ballast out and swapped my out both of them and changed out the headlights with some spares I bought. No difference same issue one side brighter then the other side. You guys think its my relay harness? could it be that the ballast closes to the battery will get more power then the one on the passenger side?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Pull the bulbs out and compare the brightness that way. HID bulbs are not meant to shine correctly in a reflector style headlamp that was not designed for a HID setup. That is why your out put on the road looks so messed up. The kit you got, does it only plug in on the driver side and then run to the passenger side?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have many friends and other family cars that currently have Hids kits installed on their reflector style headlamps and non of them have this issue of one headlamp brighter then the other. but then again non of the other cars have the hid kits connected to a relay harness like I do. The way the relay harness is and is starting to lead me into thinking the issue is lack of power to the passenger side ballast, Give that the cars battery is closer to the drivers side ballast on the relay the driver side ballast seems to drawing more power and not giving enough to the passenger side ballast. Could this be? But then again I'm running two relay harnesses for each ballast.

·
Registered
668 Posts
If you ran the proper size wire from the proper place, then you should not have a problem. One way to check is to make sure that the voltage going into your ballast is within a few mv of the battery voltage.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You shouldn't have a power drop like that. Were the halogen bulbs that bad? Ballast have a quick power draw during start up, but then end up drawing about 35w. OT would seem you have an issue with the harness on that side. Start with the ground.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts