SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I replaced my second and third row with brand new seats from a 2011 D5. Encountered no problems but had to switch the seat belt from the old middle chair to the new one (they kept it to avoid the SRS light when converting to a van). Now I'm looking at a good deal for two front seats from a 2008 D5. Is there any way to change front seats or totally out of the question? I read somewhere the rails are allready different so even installation is not possible but can't find too much info. I know the CAN bus will throw heaps of garbage at me but i'm not affraid of having to do a lot of modifications to make it work. Also, are the front seats any different between LHD and RHD?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I would probably start by calling a dealership parts desk and asking if the part numbers are the same. If they are, there's a good chance they're interchangeable.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The airbag in the 2003 and 2004 is different to the 2005 and up. From the IIHS crash test site https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/volvo/xc90-4-door-suv/2005#jump-to : Click on "side impact", also "other model years".
"The Volvo XC90 was introduced in the 2003 model year. Beginning with 2005 models, the side torso airbags were enlarged to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes." This is why the xc90 does not have a rating for side impact for 2003-2004. Whether the wiring connector and control is different from the later to the older, no idea.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looked through VIDA and the newer models (2005 onward) have a seperate wire harnass and connector for the side airbags it seems. As far as I can tell the "base" is the same. So my guess is it would fit but connecting is a whole different story. Also I think the various control modules need to be made aware of the new seats as the mirrors (door module) and some other components seem to communicate with the seat control module. Like what key opened the door etc. Since my car didn't have the powered seats my guess is there will be parts of the software "missing". I'll ask a dealer but in my experience they are not very helpful with info and thinking "out of the (VIDA) box".

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyway, found out that there's only one powered seat and since it's a RHD it would be the wrong one. Also no heating so I'm back to searching for seats again ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts