SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read about FMIC, turbos, ams systems,,downpipe, cat back exhaust, sway bars, brakes, ecu tune all these after market products that pretty much have a great life on our car in stock form..

But in stock form all I keep reading about is angle gear, collar sleeve and suspension problems? Why the hell haven't these aftermarket companies doing R&D for products that we know suck on our cars! I mean make a suspension that will work for our cars.. If a member figured out how to trick the system with a resistor then take the idea and build on it right?. I don't mean buying another 4c system... If they can rewrite the ecu on our cars to make more boost I'm sure you can redo the 4c system with a built in edit to the 4c...

As far as the collar sleeve and angle gear, can't you make something better? Or is their something better that we can buy? I think a lot of us will would look into this as..

I'm not a car guru like all of you guys but I think it would make sense for IPD, Viva, Eurosport, Elevate, MTE to start making better products for the stuff we know that fails all the time?

Ps.. Please Zeus don't jinx me as my suspension and angle gear/collar sleeve are fine...

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I feel you, really do, but these forums are designed for all of us to help each other. If we can build a resister system that tricks the 4C for less than 20-40$ bucks (all 4 corners) why pay a branded company to build the same thing that a market up price will be in effect to cover their cost? A good example is the "Bob Villa Mod" for less than 2$ we can have a solid and firm front top brace, or we can purchase iPd's solid mount - I bought the iPd version because one of mine was actually cracked otherwise the Bob Villa mod and some paint would have worked just fine. Odd talking about money saving ideas for our cars as I spent a lot of money on performance and maintenance myself.

Angle gears and collars is another issue though and I agree with you 100% however, as an engineer perspective, this is a hugely costly R&D!! When/If my angle gear fails, I'm doing the JanHargis method!

What other suspension problems do we have? Aside from a few people having leaked or blown 4C system prior to reaching 100k miles on the odometer, I'd say that is a pretty good milestone. A lot of people here are now second generation owners of SR/VR and are getting the maintenance woes that the previous owners avoided by trading/selling their cars.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My Tahoe has rear shocks w/ an electronic dampener system. There is a company that makes replacement shocks that replace the electronic connection with a plug-in loop. I wonder if this unit would work with ours, only with a different plug. See here: http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm?id=929232

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
My Tahoe has rear shocks w/ an electronic dampener system. There is a company that makes replacement shocks that replace the electronic connection with a plug-in loop. I wonder if this unit would work with ours, only with a different plug. See here: http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm?id=929232
I remember someone posting something like this from a 4C set up from a Corvette of some sort. Not sure if it would be backwards compatible with our 4C tho.

Here it is
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ocks-struts)&p=1795156&viewfull=1#post1795156

·
Registered
373 Posts
OK, I remember seeing that post in that thread. I emailed the company of those shocks I posted to see if they would be interested in coming up with something similar for the R. Plug & play w/ no splicing would be nice.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Well, would anyone agree, that possibly they engineered the collar sleeve to be the weak point, so you aren't as likely to break other more expensive pieces in the AWD system? It's probably the cheapest thing that you could fix, if something were to break. Especially if you do it yourself.

This isn't taking into consideration that they should've just built a stronger system. You have to think though, Subaru's AWD system's are flawless... Except for one big issue... The transmissions themselves are like glass. The Volvo transmissions are SIGNIFICANTLY stronger.

Evo's have a very good AWD system though. I actually haven't really heard of many people having issues.. I have heard a few times of the rear diff's breaking, and driveshafts twisting, but ... that's it that I can recall.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Well, would anyone agree, that possibly they engineered the collar sleeve to be the weak point, so you aren't as likely to break other more expensive pieces in the AWD system? It's probably the cheapest thing that you could fix, if something were to break. Especially if you do it yourself.
I totally don't understand why people think that this is the case. No, it's not engineered to be weak on purpose. What you talk about is the design of "Shear Pins", which are designed to give way to a given load, and not designed to fail over time. Our Collar gears fail over time and a gradual degradation, which is considered as "wear and tear", if you pull the part from different mileage intervals of 5K, 20K, 40K, 60K, you will clearly see a gradual wear on the splines inside the collar gear at each mileage rating until you see the point of failure (no teeth left). It was a failure that it was made with soft material (HRA 60) and of a poor fit , and the fact that Volvo actually tried to remedy the problem through different iterations and related platforms of the transmission and Angle gear is proof.
Here's more reading material for you with materials analysis to prove it so.

So think of the collar gear as a clutch or like brake pads, it'll eventually wear to the point of failure, but until you do you can hammer it and smash them (it'll speed up the process) but won't cause the failure itself.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I'm picking up my HRC40+ (I think thats what I'll name it) collar gear tomorrow. I don't plan on welding my drivetrain together....

·
Registered
332 Posts
EBD ! (Exhaust Bracket of Death removal) Be SURE this has been done.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wish I new as much as some of the guys on hear when it comes to our cars, but my point of this thread is this.. Your talking about the collar sleeve right, well until I saw pictures of a collar sleeve and got the explanations that you guys give(which is awesome) I would not know what the hell it is:D.

But the post point is this.. Why not build a carbon fiber collar sleeve or a titanium sleeve something. Not so we can put another 1000 horsepower in the car, just to make a part and make it better period.. Or make a better angle gear/seal that doesn't leak.. Or a better what's the other part that everyone complains about the slave cylinder..

I'm just saying that the companies out their making all these aftermarket parts(which we all love so don't stop)sometimes don't see what other areas they can make better.. Maybe my understanding of these things arent on par as the other higher gurus..

I know as SS we all want to figure out how to create something ourselves so we can save money and not pay for parts or labor.. Hence some of the cool stuff the fellow SS have come up with. But the only way for these forums to survive, for all of us to buy all these cool aftermarket parts is for people like us buying stuff from our Volvo Tuners..

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
As I said, I did build a "better" sleeve, I hope. This stuff isn't cheap though.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I not cheap and I'm sure most of us hear in the forum aren't either.. Build a good product and I'm sure people will buy it..

But companies tend to all jump on the same wagon example. Their must be 40 different type of downpipes, catback exhaust, air filters, ecu tunes, sway bars, springs etc....

I don't remember someone saying my downpipe is broken or my ecu tune is worn out or that my springs make too much noise... I hope everyone is getting my point..

By no means am I complaining about what the tuners are doing..

·
Registered
42 Posts
that bracket problem is what causes the rain squeal, correct?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
that bracket problem is what causes the rain squeal, correct?
No, the bracket is not the cause; the cause is heat and cold transfer causing the resonator to expand and grow in size thus rubbing on the drive shaft.

There are theories that the bracket was used in the assembly line to hold the exhaust in place while assembly, other theories that its meant to catch the exhaust should the hangers fail, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts