SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 2007 S60R with a 6 speed automatic transmission (it was the only one available in my area, I didnt have a choice). Since then i have wanted to upgrade some components (FMIC, turbo, intake, exhaust, etc) but i dont know how well the auto transmission will be able to handle the extra power. Since it's an 07, the transmission is not torque- limited but like all other automatics, it has a power limit after which it will start breaking down. Does anyone know, how much power the 6 speed can safely handle without breaking down? Also, any personal experiences with modding a 6 speed auto S60R/V70R are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Yep, the engine will go before the trans when it comes to too much power, but the AWD transfer case would likely go first, or the collar gear connecting the power to the rear driveshaft.

(it was the only one available in my area, I didnt have a choice).
No need to defend yourself, I also have a GT and I love it. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i know i'm going to rebuild the engine and replace most of the internals with high-performance ones. No idea how much it's going to cost though.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Yeah i know i'm going to rebuild the engine and replace most of the internals with high-performance ones. No idea how much it's going to cost though.
Good thing you got an auto. It would have been tough to shift missing an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Good thing you got an auto. It would have been tough to shift missing an arm and a leg.
LOL

OP, if you're chasing 500whp, ever thought about tuning it to run E85? Not very familiar with what goes into something like this but DrBrutal has mentioned it a few times before. I've seen people surf around the 500hp mark on here, but majority stay within 350-420 at the crank ("Stage II or III"). Make sure you get some fresh transmission fluid as well 06+ GTs dont have a dipstick for the trans fluid, just a heads up.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The '06 and '07 Rs with the 6-speed still list the restricted torque figures in the specs, which doesn't make a lot of sense since it's the same transmission Volvo used for the V8s and still uses for the Polestar T6s.

I'd start with IPD Stage I tune without the torque restrictions on 1 & 2 and a full transmission flush for the 6-speed auto. It's an honest 335 hp (and even more torque) and really livens things up from the base tune on the auto.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
The '06 and '07 Rs with the 6-speed still list the restricted torque figures in the specs, which doesn't make a lot of sense since it's the same transmission Volvo used for the V8s and still uses for the Polestar T6s.

I'd start with IPD Stage I tune without the torque restrictions on 1 & 2 and a full transmission flush for the 6-speed auto. It's an honest 335 hp (and even more torque) and really livens things up from the base tune on the auto.
That was a typo in the 06-07 booklet (they have 295lb-tq in all gears), the transmission is limited to 14PSI in first gear but after that if you have it tuned it will hit much higher.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts