SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spoiler alert: This was a totally fine experience. I'm just posting this because no one who has updated their maps went into much detail about how it worked, and the owners manual goes through steps and gives sort of worst-case scenarios as far as time required, so I thought I'd give an account of what I experienced.

Quite a few people have talked about how so far, we haven't seen any over-the-air updates for the XC90, although this is a capability that is described in the information about the car. My personal theory is that the capability for remote updates is coming in a future software update, perhaps the storied November update, but it doesn't seem to be active now.

At any rate, after reading the posts on here and visiting the support.volvocars.com website, I saw that there was a North America update available from Sept. 15. It's a ~26GB data file to download, and I need a USB drive to transfer it to the car.

There are clear step-by-step instructions on the web site, but here's an overview with a couple of questions I had and how things actually worked. Note that the link there is for the North America VolvoCars website, with specific links to downloadable regional updates. I did the full North America update.

1. You download a small Volvo updater app first to your computer. There's a MacOS and a Windows version of the software
  2. The Volvo updater app then downloads the datafile. I have a pretty fast internet connection at home, and once the download started, it looked like it would take about an hour for the whole thing to download. I picked the download location ahead of time, and set it to download to the USB drive I had plugged into my computer. A few things to note: If you think "Oh I have USB drives all over the place" you might think you have something that will work. However, if you are like me, most of those USB drives you have lying all over the place are likely 1-2GB, not big enough. Second, if you have a larger USB drive you might think you can have other data in it -- nope, the instructions clearly say the process needs an empty USB drive, and the updater software requires that it be empty or it will complain and not download the update file.
  3. The updater software clearly tells you it has succeeded and you can remove the USB drive and that you should plug it into your car, turn on the car, and follow the instructions. The instructions also say it can take 1-2 hours for the update to complete, depending on the size of the data file, and that the car must be running for the process to complete. If you interrupt the process, the instructions say that it will continue the next time you start the car.
  4. I'm a risk-taker, so I decided to start this on my ~30-min drive to work and just see what would happen. Would my Sensus be totally consumed with the update? Would I still be able to listen to music? What would happen when I got to work and needed to turn the car off?
    I got into the car, and of course, it comes to life before you even start it. I quickly plugged in the USB drive, and at first nothing seemed to happen, probably mostly because the Sensus was still loading and whatever. Within 20 seconds or so, I saw a message that a map update was available, and would I like to start the update. I believe it confirmed that if it was interrupted it would resume later, and that to finalize the install, I'd need to turn the car off and back on again. I confirmed that I wanted to do the update, and it started. Basically, the navigation/maps are unusable while the update occurs, but you see the whirling circle/waiting icon in the corner of the navigation are, with a percentage in the middle showing progress. I was actually pretty surprised and pleased at how fast it progressed. Basically, in the time it took me to drive to work (maybe 35 min) the whole update uploaded to the car, and I was able to park, turn of the car, and get out without worrying about whether the update would actually resume. I'm not sure if there's something special about this USB drive -- whether it's high speed or not -- so your results may vary. But other than the nav being occupied during the update, everything else worked like normal.
  5. Upon returning to my car, everything started up as normal. The navigation area of the Sensus said "loading..." for a bit longer than it normally would, then I got two messages dropping down from the top of the Sensus screen to tell me that a new North America map file had be loaded. I think the second one occurred because the USB drive was still plugged in, and it was reading the update file on the drive to tell me it had already been applied.

There were no obvious differences in any of the areas I saw on the map, and no hint of any new functionality. I'm pretty sure the map data update is just map data.

Anyway, hopefully this was useful.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Great write-up! I was thinking about doing this too. One question. How do you know what version is the map on the website vs. what version is currently in your car? The website doesn't say what the latest version map is.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The page I downloaded the North America update from had a file date -- It said Sept. 15, 2015. I'd assume if you picked up your car before that, you don't have it yet. Although that's about when you picked yours up, eh, drool? Hmm.... not sure.

I think if you download it and try to install the update in your car, it will tell you that it already has that update. Of course, you will have wasted some time and potentially purchased a USB stick to do the upgrade before you figured that out.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The page I downloaded the North America update from had a file date -- It said Sept. 15, 2015. I'd assume if you picked up your car before that, you don't have it yet. Although that's about when you picked yours up, eh, drool? Hmm.... not sure.

I think if you download it and try to install the update in your car, it will tell you that it already has that update. Of course, you will have wasted some time and potentially purchased a USB stick to do the upgrade before you figured that out.
Yeah. I got mine on the 17th.. so 50/50 if the dealer installed the new software. Ah well.. if it was only map data, I can wait until the big Novmember update

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone else updated the maps? I just wanted to see if anyone noticed any difference. I just downloaded the southern California maps and it is only 600Mb so the update should be fast

·
Registered
25 Posts
Has anyone else updated the maps? I just wanted to see if anyone noticed any difference. I just downloaded the southern California maps and it is only 600Mb so the update should be fast
Did you have a way to see if the version you had in the car already was the most current? Having an issue matching up version numbers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you have a way to see if the version you had in the car already was the most current? Having an issue matching up version numbers.
I couldnt see the version I had in the car. I mean the California maps had some numbers on it but didnt follow any pattern. Anyway I updated it and it seemed to work

·
Registered
25 Posts
I couldnt see the version I had in the car. I mean the California maps had some numbers on it but didnt follow any pattern. Anyway I updated it and it seemed to work
I am in Socal as well so I will try to just update that map first. How long did it take? It looks like its about 600MB which is much less than the larger NA map which is like 15.5GB

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am in Socal as well so I will try to just update that map first. How long did it take? It looks like its about 600MB which is much less than the larger NA map which is like 15.5GB
The update took around 15-20 minutes. The whole time I could use the infotainment system. When the update is done you get a message saying that the last step would be done when you leave the car. I didnt really notice any difference for now but I havent driven it much since then since it is my wife's car.

Anyway, the car still has the bug issues with the GPS (car will think is to the right to where we actually are).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts