SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

It's yet again been a while since my last post, but I just finished undergrad and will have a little more time (and money) to spend! I hope you're all doing well, and welcome to all of those who have come since I was active back a few years ago. :thumbup::thumbup:

I am considering updating my rear end to an 08+ (tail lights and rear bumper piece) and had a few questions.

First, all I will need is the tail lights and the bumper piece, correct? I've heard that the lights on the rear should be plug and play.

Second, do any of you know if the 04.5-07 Elevate/Evolve rear spoiler that fits below the bumper will fit on an 08+ bumper? I guess the easiest way to know is if any of you have any older spoilers (either the black trim or the OEM aerodynamic kit) that fit on your 08+ bumper.

Third, where's my best bet for ordering these parts?

Thanks a ton, and cheers for the help! :beer:

Rush

EDIT: After reviewing some threads (re: Which coil overs go lower), it seems like the rear diffuser will not work with the new bumper piece. However, I may retain my 04.5-07 bumper piece and make some filler pieces for the gap that's left from the shorter tail lights.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I might be having a brain fart, but I believe some minor rewiring was needed for the tails back when I did the tail light swap a couple years back. Nothing major, though. I might be confusing when I did the mirror swap, but I'm pretty sure both required a little experimenting.

And as you discovered after original posting, the rear lip/valence trim pieces are not interchangeable between the styles. At least not without some reworking and fabrication.

As for ordering parts, I'd order the taillight units from V and S Dismantlers (located in central California) or eBay. V and S has reasonable prices. I had to get a new right unit after my unexpected meeting with a rather large median, and it only cost $85.

You only have a gap between taillights and bumper if you keep using your 04.5-07 style bumper piece. If you use an 08+ bumper there is no gap.

I have a rear 08+ bumper that was painted in 019 (Black Stone) and then put into storage. It has the Dynamic Trim/Sport Kit lower piece on it. The paint got a few chips/marks while in storage, but could be ran as is or repainted. I don't know if your car is Sapphire Black, or Black Stone. Either way, if you weren't ready or didn't want to spend the coin on getting parts painted it could be a decent option. I can ship it via Greyhound packaged with a ton of protective bubblewrap and what not. Just PM me if interested. If not, no big deal. Ebay, dismantler, or dealer are your only real options for bumpers. Due to their size shipping is expensive.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
As for ordering parts, I'd order the taillight units from V and S Dismantlers (located in central California) or eBay. V and S has reasonable prices. I had to get a new right unit after my unexpected meeting with a rather large median, and it only cost $85.
Volvo and Saab dismantlers of Rancho Cordova?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
@ revolve - awesome shots in your sig....your car is smexxxy as hell.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ revolve - awesome shots in your sig....your car is smexxxy as hell.
Thanks Slasher--I've seen yours around here to and it looks great as well!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I just dropped V&S a few inquiries and hope to hear back soon. They seem like a great place to get cheap parts. I'm leaning towards getting new 04.5-06 tails and just calling it a day to be honest. It's less of a headache for me (especially considering I FINALLY bought some new wheels... it's only been 6 years).

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
V & S has been a pretty decent place to get parts for a reasonable price. They sometimes have messed up my order but they send the correct parts as soon as I let them know.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
V & S has been a pretty decent place to get parts for a reasonable price. They sometimes have messed up my order but they send the correct parts as soon as I let them know.
Funny you mentioned that place. I just recently found it... Too bad most cars have the front that's trashed ...
Lol, when you browse their website it can get pretty depressing seeing all these mistreated, abandoned, S40, V50, C30 alike . . . :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts