SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...question regarding map updates:

I once downloaded a single map update for my "home" region and installed it. It took a solid few hours, I'd say.

I'm now considering updating all North America maps. I downloaded the update on a USB stick and understand the next step is to plug it in to the USB port in the car. Is the installation process going to take forever? Like a few hours x however many maps there are? That seems like it could be hours upon hours, and it only installs when the car is on, correct?

Has anyone done a full update via USB? How long did it take you? Do you have access to maps during the update?

Does anyone know if the dealership has the capability to update maps faster than we can via USB install or car modem download/install?

·
Registered
2019 Volvo XC40 T5 Inscription, 2018 Volvo V90 Cross Country T5
84 Posts
I just updated my maps today (newest version) from the USB. It took about 40 min to update it. And yes that was for the full North American Map.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Was your first experience over the air? That would be slow if you had a weak data connection. The USB takes as others said, less than an hour. I've had the over air updates hung up before where it can be an incredibly long experience.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello Jbucks - I purchased my V60 CC in September and was faced with a similar situation.

I read a bunch of helpful posts here and then downloaded everything to a USB drive via my PC, plugged the stick into "white lined" port and left it there for several days. Each time I drove the car it began doing its thing until it eventually finished. It's kind of a fire-and-forget thing at that point with the vehicle picking up where it leaves off over the course of several drives. All appears to be well.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
FWIW: You may wish to review the Roadmap Update stickie on the SPA MY16 + XC90. It is a bit long but it covers most issues and is updated.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Hello Jbucks - I purchased my V60 CC in September and was faced with a similar situation.

I read a bunch of helpful posts here and then downloaded everything to a USB drive via my PC, plugged the stick into "white lined" port and left it there for several days. Each time I drove the car it began doing its thing until it eventually finished. It's kind of a fire-and-forget thing at that point with the vehicle picking up where it leaves off over the course of several drives. All appears to be well.
FYI, when installing the full map this way, it blocks the nav app and you can't use GPS nav guide. So this is better doing around town.

If you copy and install multiple regional maps this way, it doesn't block the nav app but is much slower than full map installation.
Could be better if you don't want to wait for downloading full map, and are going on a trip and need the nav.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Wow...I thought this download stuff would have gone away by now! I remember the '08 C70 nav with the disc drive taking about three days of driving(lots of driving!).

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
You can install in car with the Internet data link too, but could be slower than home wifi.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
The download and installation of roadmaps for the entire NA continent via USB (I.e., 240 min.) is 2700% faster than three full days of driving around with a CD that is might be limited to the US.

It is gratifying that the downloads and installs of road maps are continue to be at no additional charge - at least for the Volvo SPA MY16+.

OTA technologies and implementations are getting better and faster, too. It’s win-win.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

1 - 10 of 10 Posts