SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 2005 V50 2.0D, so not common in the US but I don't think that matters for my question. I really like the blue R-design instruments and a diesel set (4500 redline) has recently popped up near me.

Thing is, can you just exchange clusters or is this secured somehow (like requiring a matching key)? Can a dealer bypass that? Also, can a dealer set the mileage to the car-correct value?

Thanks!

Luuk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No. It's plug and play if firmware is compatible with car if not dealer can reload it.
So basically it should just work? That's great news, definitely worth the try then.

Too bad the mileage can't be corrected, I figured it can't be adjusted down, but had hoped up was a possibility. My car has 250.000k on it, the R clocks just 80.000. Going to raise a flag at the next check...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
It may raise a flag but there is no law I know of that states you can't replace your instrument cluster if it doesn't work. So you replaced it with a working one and the mileage is incorrect. As long as you are not trying to lower the mileage to add value to the car to sell it fraudulently, you can do this. I've exchanged MANY instrument clusters on my cars and customer cars and never had any legal troubles. It can set a code in the CEM for Mileage Manipulation but that fault can be cleared out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is too easy. The dash guage DIM can be taken apart and you can put the R-design face over the top of your existing circuit board. Easily keeping your current mileage display. Real easy.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seriously, you can do that? That solves everything :p

I have had the DIM apart before (removing the seatbelt speaker, don't need to be reminded, beyond the light, at low speeds) and I also painted the "instrument rings" brighter silver, I didn't notice the face being removable? It didn't fall off at any rate :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
What? I've read a dozen of times that your dealer easily adds the correct mileage to the cluster once it's fitted, also seen a few who swapped the clusters and no-one said anything about showing wrong numbers.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
No no no....
Gauges are a direct swap, so yes there.
But the dealer can and will have to update the mileage on the gauges based on what is stored on the ECU. Expect to pay about $300US or more for that.

It's cheaper to take apart the gauges and swap the faces yourself. I've taken mine apart a few times, the trick is to only do it when you have a full tank of gas and have a GPS ready to make sure you got the speedometer back in place correctly. It's not hard, but the needles can be finicky.
But if you're going that route, you can also have custom gauge faces made. Many have done that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No no no....
Gauges are a direct swap, so yes there.
But the dealer can and will have to update the mileage on the gauges based on what is stored on the ECU. Expect to pay about $300US or more for that.

It's cheaper to take apart the gauges and swap the faces yourself. I've taken mine apart a few times, the trick is to only do it when you have a full tank of gas and have a GPS ready to make sure you got the speedometer back in place correctly. It's not hard, but the needles can be finicky.
But if you're going that route, you can also have custom gauge faces made. Many have done that.
Well I like stock, but I like a fancy version of stock (which is what R-design is). Also, just swapping the face doesn't change the plastic rings around the clocks, they're different on the R-design as well. Kind of makes me wonder if you can just order the face plate and rings seperately at a dealership? Bet you can't though :facepalm:

Defenitely not going to swap the actual cluster if that's not necessary, I'm going the swap-face route. Sits much more better with me knowing the mileage is as it should be and the car won't get any fault codes. Just feel a bit silly not being able to remember the face being detachable lol.

I also ordered a sports steering wheel the other day for 35 dollars, should be here next week. It's a worn tan coloured one from a C30 (hence the price :p ) but who cares, going to dye it a dark-grey and my look over the dash should be transformed :D

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
The different ring surrounds is not an R-design thing, that was a change made in 2008+ interiors.
Not sure if the rings would be interchangeable... You never know though!
Actually, if you're starting with a 2005, I don't know if the gauge faces will line up perfectly. But they should fit with little modification.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I want to make sure i tell you. You do not lose your mileage whenever you take out your DIM or speed guage. I have customized digital dash in works and I frequently easily take out speed guage. You can switch DIM
Once again for unruled. When you take apart the DIM. All the rings and guage faces go over too. And like Myname said watch for fitment. I notice you are looking at a guage cluster that does not have the black sticks on both sides of the lower small total mileage screen. I would definitely find one that has the same parts, i guess you could drill a small hole to allow your second knob to go through that black guage face. Everything covers your older face. Unless you dont want the silver rings.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
I notice you are looking at a guage cluster that does not have the black sticks on both sides of the lower small total mileage screen. I would definitely find one that has the same parts, i guess you could drill a small hole to allow your second knob to go through that black guage face. Everything covers your older face. Unless you dont want the silver rings.
That's another facelift interior thing, good eye! The left stick is for the clock display, the right stick is for the trip computer. On facelift interiors, the clock is controlled through the center console menu screen.

With the amount of work to transfer over the clock stick (if even possible), you'd be better off just transferring the gauge faces.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I've done some more digging (while the seller of the R-clocks isn't replying... sucks because R-design 2.0D clocks are ****ing rare :p ) and it turns out it all isn't that easy anyway... bummer.

Found this thread, with my exact problem. The man has tried and "done" it: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=148298

First of all you can't change the entire unit. The first model uses 2 connectors, the second model (which the R-design is, per definition) only has 1. About changing the face, it would actually fit perfectly, were it not for the added stick. There are some problems though. You can change the dials but not the rings, the holes don't line up. Obviously you could just superglue them in place. Can not change the entire face either because the idiot lights are in different positions. The dials though, are the whole point and those you can, with some care, switch out. The fingers also just switch out. Becomes a bit of a DIY botchjob but I'm not afraid of cutting a bit, so undeterred I shall keep looking for blue clocks :p

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Oops, I meant the "dials" when I was referring to the faces earlier.

The round dials, as you have found, pop out independently. Too bad the rings can't transfer though...
There's a guy on here who popped his dials out and removed the green film backing, so they now illuminate white. Looks awesome! I tried, but it was more work removing the film than I was willing to invest.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oops, I meant the "dials" when I was referring to the faces earlier.

The round dials, as you have found, pop out independently. Too bad the rings can't transfer though...
There's a guy on here who popped his dials out and removed the green film backing, so they now illuminate white. Looks awesome! I tried, but it was more work removing the film than I was willing to invest.
Hmm I do like that idea, but isn't white a bit taxing on the eyes at night? Half my driving is in the dark this time of year ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually like the green so that's fine. I'd just like the dials to be blue but it's proving more of a hassle than I thought :p

The new steering wheel has been shipped though, hoping to get that next week. Need to refurbish it a bit but hopefully just dye will be enough (need to change colour to off black anyway). I also ordered larger mirrors off a 2007 model, those little viewing glasses we get are ridiculous. I'll paint the covers silver (like I have now) and apparently there's some rewiring to do, but I'll figure it out :D

Next project will be foglights. I've heard that's just a matter of ordering parts (wiring is already in place?) like surrounds, lights and a new switch panel?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Fog lights need activation so ask dealer if they could do that for your car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got the foglights/surrounds/switch for 85 euros, dealer says it's 40 euros to update the software so that's still pretty fair. Funny thing is they don't take responsibility "should my car no longer work after the update". I'm going to guess that's a "better safe than sorry" disclaimer :D

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I’m going to revive this thread because I’m having an issue.

I had 117,xxx miles on my s40. I bought a c70 gauge cluster with 47,xxx miles on it from eBay. Plugged it in, it shows 47,xxx miles. I’ve been driving around with it like that. No codes or anything. I tried to replace my original cluster, it’s exactly where it was at 117,xxx. With the c70 cluster installed, Vida shows that mileage too. All I have to prove my mileage is a photo of the original odometer when I removed it. Dealership says a DIM software reload MIGHT update my mileage.

It can’t be this easy to commit fraud right? Not that this was ever my intention. I don’t really want to gamble $200 on a software reload that MIGHT work....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 26 Posts