SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally just about ready to add my last engine modification - a 3" EST downpipe - and I'm ready to order an updated tune to go with it. I currently have an Elevate stage 1 tune with the handheld device and so I plan to get their 'Downpipe Added' software only product. When I ordered my original tune I specified 91 octane since I know in some parts of the United States you can't find 93 octane but now I'm debating whether to bump up to 93 for the new tune. I would say almost all (if not all) places where I will be driving my car will have 93 available but I'm wondering if any performance gained by specifying 93 in the tune is worth the reduced flexibility. I mainly use 93 right now but on occasion will mix equal parts 89 and 93 if the price for 93 is way above that for 89. The engine performance mods I have are:

BSR 2.5" cat back exhaust
EuroSport Tuning 3" downpipe
Anembo Engineering ported/polished stock lower intake
Custom port-matched stock upper inlet
Porsche 70mm throttle body
XC60 intercooler
Elevate intercooler hardpipe
Elevate wastegate actuator
Elevate CBV
Snabb performance turbo intake pipe
ECU spacer
K&N panel filter in stock airbox

Any thoughts on whether I should specify 91 or 93 octane? This might seem like a trivial debate but ever since I went with 91 for my original tune I've asked myself 'Should I have gone 93?'. Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tell me about the xc60 intercooler idea. I haven't heard about this, is it the same design just bigger?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I'm finally just about ready to add my last engine modification - a 3" EST downpipe - and I'm ready to order an updated tune to go with it. I currently have an Elevate stage 1 tune with the handheld device and so I plan to get their 'Downpipe Added' software only product. When I ordered my original tune I specified 91 octane since I know in some parts of the United States you can't find 93 octane but now I'm debating whether to bump up to 93 for the new tune. I would say almost all (if not all) places where I will be driving my car will have 93 available but I'm wondering if any performance gained by specifying 93 in the tune is worth the reduced flexibility. I mainly use 93 right now but on occasion will mix equal parts 89 and 93 if the price for 93 is way above that for 89. The engine performance mods I have are:

BSR 2.5" cat back exhaust
EuroSport Tuning 3" downpipe
Anembo Engineering ported/polished stock lower intake
Custom port-matched stock upper inlet
Porsche 70mm throttle body
XC60 intercooler
Elevate intercooler hardpipe
Elevate wastegate actuator
Elevate CBV
Snabb performance turbo intake pipe
ECU spacer
K&N panel filter in stock airbox

Any thoughts on whether I should specify 91 or 93 octane? This might seem like a trivial debate but ever since I went with 91 for my original tune I've asked myself 'Should I have gone 93?'. Thanks!
If im not mistaken regardless if you specify E85(50/50), 93 or 91 you should be fine to use either one as the tune and ECU will self adjust, i run 91 but add octane booster for a little piece of mind but i couldnt tell you it makes a huge difference. The tune just bumps the parameters on the map to handle higher octanes with the fuel you use.

Tell me about the xc60 intercooler idea. I haven't heard about this, is it the same design just bigger?

In Short, yes - a small upgrade over the stock unit but given the price one can be picked up for at a salvage yard beats a new one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If im not mistaken regardless if you specify E85(50/50), 93 or 91 you should be fine to use either one as the tune and ECU will self adjust, i run 91 but add octane booster for a little piece of mind but i couldnt tell you it makes a huge difference. The tune just bumps the parameters on the map to handle higher octanes with the fuel you use.

In Short, yes - a small upgrade over the stock unit but given the price one can be picked up for at a salvage yard beats a new one.
Which model do you get one from?

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
514 Posts
I wouldn't bother the gain outweighs the price and availability.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Im not sure, the other members may have better input.

·
Registered
38 Posts
From brief research I wouldn't skimp on a good intercooler. I think all the testing points to Do88 as the best bet.

What's an ecu spacer?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
The ECU spacer is something that came from the Ford Focus RS that had the 2.5 Volvo engine. The spacer moves the ECU heat fins out of the air box a little to improve air flow. There is still enough flow over the ECU fins to keep it cool. It is only for the stock air box. I am running one on my V50. The benefit is improved throttle response. It won't increase boost as that is regulated but the boost builds quicker. I found that it made more impact with my M66 V50 than with my previous automatic. This is because you are on and off the throttle more as you go through gears.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The ECU spacer is something that came from the Ford Focus RS that had the 2.5 Volvo engine. The spacer moves the ECU heat fins out of the air box a little to improve air flow. There is still enough flow over the ECU fins to keep it cool. It is only for the stock air box. I am running one on my V50. The benefit is improved throttle response. It won't increase boost as that is regulated but the boost builds quicker. I found that it made more impact with my M66 V50 than with my previous automatic. This is because you are on and off the throttle more as you go through gears.
Who sells this mod?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From brief research I wouldn't skimp on a good intercooler. I think all the testing points to Do88 as the best bet.
Here is the original install thread that I used as a guide: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?295497

This is a thread that has some comparison between different IC options: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?377873

Unfortunately many of the pictures in the install thread are missing. I have a used 31338475 XC60 T6 intercooler I bought for $85 shipped from a Swedespeed member. It required very little modification and is a significant IC upgrade. From the second thread you can see it outperforms an aftermarket IC and gets close to the do88 IC:
do88 ICM-170: 73 °F / 34 °C.
31338475, XC60: 116 °F / 47 °C.
Elevate: 158 °F / 70 °C.
OEM C30: 170 °F / 77 °C.​

It has significantly more cooling area and flow rate than the stock IC and it is well worth the price.

What's an ecu spacer?
I found mine here: http://www.govoengineering.com/store/t5-ecu-spacer

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
It has significantly more cooling area and flow rate than the stock IC and it is well worth the price.

I found mine here: http://www.govoengineering.com/store/t5-ecu-spacer
[OT] was reading this thread, followed the link, saw the 4USD price, thought to myself "huh, interesting, why not!?" clicked to order...
oh, wait....
wow, thats a lot for piece of cnc'ed plastic :eek:
[OT ends]

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[OT] was reading this thread, followed the link, saw the 4USD price, thought to myself "huh, interesting, why not!?" clicked to order...
oh, wait....
wow, thats a lot for piece of cnc'ed plastic :eek:
[OT ends]
Yes, while I think the XC60 IC was well worth the price ($85) I don't think the ECU spacer was worth its price ($45)!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So do you think if I specify 93 I'll be fine on the few occasions I have to run 91 because the tune and ECU will adjust, but if I specify 91 it won't take full advantage of the 93 I usually use? I suppose I could just ask Elevate for their recommendation. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Yeah i think youll be fine, The way the E85 was explained to me by don is it would be a 50/50 mixture but i could always fill with 91 if needed so long as i dont exceed the corn mixture as it would be too lean, or too rich - either way its bad.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
So do you think if I specify 93 I'll be fine on the few occasions I have to run 91 because the tune and ECU will adjust, but if I specify 91 it won't take full advantage of the 93 I usually use? I suppose I could just ask Elevate for their recommendation. Thanks!
Yeah i think youll be fine, The way the E85 was explained to me by don is it would be a 50/50 mixture but i could always fill with 91 if needed so long as i dont exceed the corn mixture as it would be too lean, or too rich - either way its bad.
The octane difference is obviously less significant the closer you are in fuels...i.e. 91 vs 93, etc, and vastly different if you have different fuels in your area - 85 vs 93. However E85 is approximately 100-110 octane, so no matter what you do, the jump between any of the gasolines is significant (except for 100 octane race gas at $8/gal).

That being said, all octane is going to dictate is your safe ignition curve. More curve means more heat and therefore more chance for preignition. Higher octane prevents this by providing longer change and less volatile chains of hydrocarbons.

I am one of the few who ran pure E85 in mine for a few months. The drop in mileage amounted to about 15% less when translated to MPG over pure gasoline. Unless you're going to run an absolutely insane ignition curve, don't bother with E85, do 91 vs 93.

Also in regards to the XC60 IC - it's a good quality unit that vastly outperforms stock, but is still subject to heatsoak just like the stocker. It sucks but it is what it was. Do88 so far is still the best like others have said. MPG definitely goes up after installing that guy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts