1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Never thought I'd be excited on taking my car into the dealership for a service appointment lol.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
1) This appears to confirm that the Volvo version of CarPlay does not use the iOS9 functionality that would have allowed wireless CarPlay. They are even using the requirement to plug-in to promote that it generates better sound.

2) I wonder if that Wk14 2016 production is the start of the next year model? It certainly is at least a year from when production started on the current model year.

·
Registered
159 Posts
No integration of navigation instructions into hud or instrument screen.
What CarPlay functionality are people looking forward to using? I have ticked the option box but other than better nav and music I don't know what I would use. Is it just improved voice interaction with Siri?

·
Registered
175 Posts
What CarPlay functionality are people looking forward to using? I have ticked the option box but other than better nav and music I don't know what I would use. Is it just improved voice interaction with Siri?
I was not expecting integration of the navigation instructions into the HUD - at least not yet. Yes, improved voice interaction with Siri, better compatibility with Apple Music, and a new platform maintained by Apple.

·
Registered
175 Posts
1) This appears to confirm that the Volvo version of CarPlay does not use the iOS9 functionality that would have allowed wireless CarPlay. They are even using the requirement to plug-in to promote that it generates better sound.

2) I wonder if that Wk14 2016 production is the start of the next year model? It certainly is at least a year from when production started on the current model year.
Still not sure if it's an impossibility to add the wireless function in the future. I don't think anyone has it yet so there's very little to go on. Plugging in will definitely generate better sound, I've been wondering if I'd ever use the wireless option for that reason since I also purchased the B&W upgrade.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
On a positive touch: Volvo now officially confirmed the november-mother-of-all-updates-that-will-fix-all-the-problems SW release on week 46 ... that is NOW ... anybody already called they dealer to inquire?

·
Registered
559 Posts
You're saying nav instructions won't be on the HUD or the instrument cluster (between the speedometer and the tachometer), but it *will* show up on the main centre Sensus display where all of the other CarPlay apps will appear right?

That's still a very big deal. Ultimately once it's been shown that the software can be upgraded to include CarPlay once, it means it can happen again and again and our cars can evolve with technogy. If some new killer apps or something else come out through CarPlay, the car will keep pace.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Again!!! What is the answer, in the USA....When I take delivery of my car in 2wks will I have Apple Car Play?! Will it be free, i.e. included in delivery of my car from dealership, or will I have to pay for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
496 Posts
There are some rumours, the 'big update we're all waiting for' is delayed until december.....

As usually, nobody knows exactly, so fingers crossed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
372 Posts
IMO - I'd rather they get the update right and make sure all the fixes are in. We've waited this long, a couple or few more weeks will not make a difference. Rushing out a software update is never a good thing.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Still not sure if it's an impossibility to add the wireless function in the future. I don't think anyone has it yet so there's very little to go on. Plugging in will definitely generate better sound, I've been wondering if I'd ever use the wireless option for that reason since I also purchased the B&W upgrade.
I was only referring to how it will launch, not whether they have the capacity to add later. No idea on that.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Again!!! What is the answer, in the USA....When I take delivery of my car in 2wks will I have Apple Car Play?! Will it be free, i.e. included in delivery of my car from dealership, or will I have to pay for it?

90pilot30 this should be easy: it is not the delivery date that counts, it is the manufacturing week of the car. How long than it stays in a ship to reach the US is not influencing the SW that got installed at production time. According the the website, if the car was produced last week = no new software, "from and including week 46" = new software.
W/R to the costs, I can only look at the priceless in Switzerland and, for my XC90, it was a to-be-paid option.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
On CarPlay, my expectations are fairly limited since I don't expect it to fully integrate with in-car apps and functions even though CarPlay is capable of that (but the car manufacturers have to allow it). I am hoping for a much better voice command experience with doing navigation (via Apple Maps), making phone calls and both hearing and sending texts. The voice comprehension will be light years better and even listening will be nicer with a human-sounding voice instead of a computer voice that sounds like the it's from the 1980's. I'm not a huge fan of Apple Maps, it remains to be seen whether the convenience of the voice control will make it worth it to live with using Apples Maps for navigation and not having a full screen option.

As iron_man says, if I had to chose, I would take fixing the dozens of software glitches and adding the missing software features (Driver's Profile) over CarPlay. Or, even better, a massive overhaul of the Volvo's own voice command system so that it actually works.

·
Registered
47 Posts

My dealer ( volvo red bank nj). Said apple car play software will be free of charge via email (at least for me). Im guessing in the usa it will be a no cost item

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
My dealer ( volvo red bank nj). Said apple car play software will be free of charge via email (at least for me). Im guessing in the usa it will be a no cost item
This should definitely be free!

·
Registered
673 Posts
At least Volvo learned from their mistake and will be equipping future XC90s with two USB ports. Having only one port was ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
On a positive touch: Volvo now officially confirmed the november-mother-of-all-updates-that-will-fix-all-the-problems SW release on week 46 ... that is NOW ... anybody already called they dealer to inquire?
Week 47.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts