SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a follow-up to the recent "hit a curb, blow an engine" thread.

I stopped at a nearby Volvo Dealer (not where I originally bought the car) today to make a regular service appointment. I had taken several digital photos of the ECU vent pipe/duct, and added labels identifying the point where it can contact the accessory belt. I showed them to the service rep, asking him if he had ever heard of engine damage associated with this part.

He immediately walked me over to a large window overlooking the service area. Directly ahead was a blue S80 with the cylinder head missing. "When that pipe loosens", he told me, "it takes out the cylinder head; this is the second one (brought to this dealership with a damaged engine) this month". He went on to say their mechanics have been cutting the duct all the way back to just below the washer fluid reservoir as cars come in for service. This fix will remove the entire section located in front of the belt, eliminating the danger. Why this is not a general recall item is beyond my comprehension. The fix probably takes no more than 60 seconds with a small hack saw.

I'll take a photo after they finish.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I checked my wife's S80 2.9, and hers has the tube come from out of the ECU, under the washer reservoir, in front of the belt, but it stops about 1/3 inch below the lower engine access cover.

So it's not protruding as much as the others' had, so it won't hit a parking stone but I'm wondering if I should hack it off just to get it away from the serpentine belt just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the verification.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.