SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently posted about some tranny issues I was having with my'07 R. It was slipping out of gear while accelerating and then clunking back in. Some suggested it was low on fluid, others the valve body. I took it to the dealership and it was neither. I ended up spending over $500 on a software update to the tranny control module. IMO, this is ridiculous. Why would Volvo charge for this? I would think this would be handled the same as a recall problem. It could have been, after all, a safety issue. Am I wrong? Why do we have to pay for software updates from Volvo? There were no parts involved and the labor consisted of plugging in a USB cord. I'm actually considering selling it now. I love it, but I am appalled by Volvo's customer support. Thoughts?:mad:

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
If you bring the car in for regular service (i.e. an oil change), the dealer should do the software update for free under the "Service for Life" program. Here is a thread discussing the program, there are many other threads on this program: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?168732-S60R-software-update&

However, I don't think the "Service for Life" program covers any diagnosis time and I'm not sure if it covers all software updates, but I was under the impression that it did cover updates for the transmission control module (TCM).

How much of the $500 is the dealer saying was diagnosis time?

I would suggest calling your dealer to see if they are willing to give you some kind of refund/discount, particularly if the update would have been done for free if you had brought the car in for a regular service appointment. If the dealer isn't willing to work with you, then escalate the issue by contacting Volvo Cars of North America (VCNA).

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was actually at the dealership for regular service anyway and wanted them to check out the tranny issue while I was there. I don't know how much was considered diagnosis time but he told me before he started that he was going to check for fault codes which there were none. I did actually contact Volvo about the experience and stated how disappointed I was, I have yet to get a reply (this was 3 days ago). I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got off the phone with Volvo. Because the check engine light was not on when I brought it in, I had to pay for the update to the software. The update was considered a part. Volvo is sending me a $100 coupon for parts. Not good enough. Sorry, Volvo, but I'm off to the Audi dealership.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Just got off the phone with Volvo. Because the check engine light was not on when I brought it in, I had to pay for the update to the software. The update was considered a part. Volvo is sending me a $100 coupon for parts. Not good enough. Sorry, Volvo, but I'm off to the Audi dealership.

Didn't you just buy that car like a month ago?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't you just buy that car like a month ago?
6 weeks ago, actually. And I'm not going to get rid of it. I just need to find a good indy Volvo mechanic.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Unfortunately you've had the "stealership" experience. I've been had also, along with many other Volvo owners. Now when I do have to bring my Volvo in, I'm extremely explicit about what I want them to do: ie check for "free" software updates. I request that they call me before they do anything where there "will be a charge", otherwise I will not pay a cent. Volvo is shooting themselves in the foot. They are just screwing people and raping them of their money. Unfortunately I think all dealerships are the same.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Perhaps I have a different relationship with my dealer due to the service writer and I dealing with each other since the car was new, but knock on wood, I have not had a major bummer experience with my dealer in San Diego. My 06 V70R is the best Volvo I have ever owned of four V wagons and I plan on having it for another 6+ years.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately you've had the "stealership" experience. I've been had also, along with many other Volvo owners. Now when I do have to bring my Volvo in, I'm extremely explicit about what I want them to do: ie check for "free" software updates. I request that they call me before they do anything where there "will be a charge", otherwise I will not pay a cent. Volvo is shooting themselves in the foot. They are just screwing people and raping them of their money. Unfortunately I think all dealerships are the same.
And that sucks. Being a female probably doesn't help either but when I went in, I told them specifically to check the things that the boys on SS recommended. I didn't think to ask about updates. I love my R, it's the nicest Volvo I've ever owned but I've yet to have a good service experience at ANY Volvo dealership. I can't afford an A6 yet but I may be headed in that direction.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Listen All cars no matter what have issues and none are bulletproof... That being said you take the same car 10 different spots in america and it's 10 different cars totally... Why cause not everyone takes care of a car the same... If you got your car from a dealership 6 weeks ago, didn't they give you a warranty with it? I bought a used 1999 v70r awhile ago from a small used car lot and they gave me a 3 month 3000 mile warranty bumper to bumper... Small place called Especially Swedish in Ny... But you always gotta check up and down inside and out when you get a used vehicle and ask a lot of questions from the person your buying it from.... So running to Audi isn't gonna be any better unless, this car ends up being a headache for you...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts