SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Maybe it's nicer in person and in practice all that stuff works well together, but, to me that interior just looks so busy, especially in the 2nd photo - the 1st shot is better because so much is obscured. ;)

I don't find those round vents modern looking at all, and the 4 in a row, just ugh

The colors are nice, and I just might like that quilted seat, especially in black.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I think they did a really good job; it looks great. However, I agree w/ cb940 that certain areas look way too busy. Plus, from personal experience, I know that getting to the menus on a Mercedes HMI (and its myriad submenus) is not going to be something that everyone will like.

Plus, I truly dislike the pattern on the black seats. Terrible. Love the dash design and the way it wraps around the doors.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plus, from personal experience, I know that getting to the menus on a Mercedes HMI (and its myriad submenus) is not going to be something that everyone will like. .[/

buried in the press release is the notation the the bottom and top menu bars are gone, and the entire menu hierarchy is different. Which is good, because I agree with you, the old version was a bit of a dog's dinner.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Thankfully quilted seats are (probably) always optional. I like it mostly except for how they kept those 4 small circular vents from the S-Class and how the tweeters are positioned/ displayed. Personally, I think the tweeter location/design is a huge waste of space and gaudy, plus ads to an already noticeable blind spot.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I suspect there will be a gender divide on those quilted seats. :)
In theory, the diamond quilted seats are nicer. They're obviously more labor intensive to manufacture--especially if they line the seams up so the diamonds are continuous between panels, which I'm assuming they will. But there's something about them that's a little too retro in practice.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't like it much. There is no simplicity, a lot of button and odd dashboard. For my taste this isn't best looking interior compared to Bmw 5 or A6.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I suspect there will be a gender divide on those quilted seats. :)
Love the cross stitched seats, the silver switch gear - hope it's metal - and the silver gas pedal. To me, little details like these scream luxury.

Also love the continuous lines, they look very sleek. Especially the one that runs from the door across the dash.

If I have one complaint with the S90 interior, it's the tired old window switches and boring black gas pedal.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Plus, I truly dislike the pattern on the black seats. Terrible.
"But it's more expensive! It must be better!" - Mercedes Benz Designo Customers

See what I mean?

Love the cross stitched seats, the silver switch gear - hope it's metal - and the silver gas pedal. To me, little details like these scream luxury.
This is the kind of stuff people who pay extra for status eat up. Like those similarly styled and unbelievable uncomfortable sofas that cost $20,000 and "scream luxury."

·
Registered
99 Posts
Saw this on Motortrends site, very nice interior. Coworker of mine has a C300 and I was impressed with the interior except for the ipad on a stick screen. I like the two large LCD displays and warm colors.

I like quilted or patterned leather as it give more visual interest. the seats on the Lexus RCF are very pleasing to look at as well. You can get quilted leather on a Ford or Kia as well so it isn't solely a high-end luxury item (obviously the quality would be different).

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Looks great. A friend of mine has a top spec C-class, altough initially it also looks great, I had the chance to drive for 3 hours straight and I have to say the charm fades away after a while; the seats are too small IMHO, the infotainment is terrible for ease of use, and the super shiny center console gets a bit old quickly. Meanwhile the drive is certainly not as entertaining as the car mags make us believe.

·
Registered
220 Posts
"But it's more expensive! It must be better!" - Mercedes Benz Designo Customers

See what I mean?

This is the kind of stuff people who pay extra for status eat up. Like those similarly styled and unbelievable uncomfortable sofas that cost $20,000 and "scream luxury."
Personally, I've never bought an expensive sofa because any perceived status. I much prefer clean lines with subtle details, that being said I'm not going to buy a mass market Ikea sofa with a thought that I'll replace it if it breaks. The little details shows that a manufacture has given thought to those things others have overlooked, I very much appreciate that.

From watching my dad who has worked in the upholstery trade for over 30 years, I can appreciate the skill that goes into putting together an interior with flawless top stitching.

Volvo is trying to move upmarket and if they plan to have any success there are certain things - from the standpoint of finish - that is expected. I think Volvo realize this, and it probably goes a ways to explain the crystal gear shift in the XC90 T8.

Whether you're in market for luxury vehicle or not, I think most would agree that metal switch gear is much preferred to the cheap plastic that's been in past Volvo's. High gloss is a step in the right direction, but if you're going to ask for top dollar then skipping out on the little things is not going to help your cause.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Warning, you'll need to be +65 years old! Haha, I do like it...but I got a headache yesterday when I saw the pictures of the brown interior and that wood(?) inlays with the white lines.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Personally, I've never bought an expensive sofa because any perceived status.
I'm not saying you need to be the person who buys a Mercedes for the status to appreciate the stitching, and it wasn't a judgement of you.

Sorry, I guess that was kind of implied but I didn't mean for it to be.

I'm simply saying that it's the kind of thing the people who do eat up because it "screams luxury."

MB's cross stitching and contrast perforations looks better in person, IMHO. The photos usually overemphasize it because of the limited frame size and unrealistically controlled lighting.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hmmm. Pretty damn nice. Will be interesting to see how the S90 prices vs an E 350.
If its priced like an E-class everyone will just get the E-class (or 5-series, A6, or even XF). Volvo needs to be aggressive with their pricing strategy if they want this car to sell. I think the XC90 commands far more pricing power than Volvo's S-series.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I don't like the seats in these photos. For the first time ever Volvo is finally offering thigh support with their seats (they're awesome on my Saab). Tall folks need this support.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts