SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I figured I'd start a build/progress/whatever thread for my shenanigans.

Intro:
I picked up my 2008 S40 T5 AWD just after Christmas 2015 with about 83,300 miles on it. Before the dealer sold it they had replaced the front control arms, front rotors/pads, air filter, oil, and tires. The car was far from perfect though. One of the previous 2 owners had a small child or something, as the rear door panels are pretty rough. There were a few missing or broken trim pieces as well. On the exterior, all 4 wheels have been curbed, and someone must have parked in a bush everyday. There are a pretty large amount of scratches that have an even larger amount of touch up paint glopped on. There are also a few dings here and there, nothing serious though. Mechanically though, things are pretty much perfect. The car is silent at all speeds and over any terrain.

Current Plan:
Fix the minor cosmetic interior issues
Full lubrication replacement
Filters and tune up
Purchase dealer accessories and options

Spring/Summer Plan:
Fix exterior flaws, or at least make them better

Future Plan:
Mild power increase
Mild suspension upgrade
Mild braking increase
Summer wheels/tires

Goal:
My main goal is to just enhance all aspects of the car without sacrificing comfort.

So there's nothing too exciting going on here, but I usually make some of my own parts; like exhausts, brackets, intakes, etc, so there may be some not off the shelf things going on.

It's filthy up here so not pics at this time. Car is covered in salt and grime atm. Hopefully the weekend is nice, and I'll do a quick rinse and get some pics.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Over the next few days I ordered parts from Tasca, Amazon, and RockAuto. Then I did more digging finding more things that needed replaced and ordered them up. Plenty of things for upcoming work, but I'll just get into what I have already installed/replaced.

Round 1

Tasca:
Sun Visor Mirror - 39866716
Center Console Cusion - 39816555
Emergency Brake Lever Cap - 31329236
Battery Cover - 31301483

RockAuto:
Bosch Icon Wipers - 20OE, 26OE

Amazon:
Denso LL Iridium Plugs
Mobile 1 0W-40
Mann Oil Filter
Oil Filter Socket

Trying to fit the battery cover taught me about the 2 different sized batteries used in the car, and the 2 different sized positive terminal "shoes". Another Tasca order needed to be put in, but who likes to order just 1 or 2 things?

Round 2

Tasca:
Short Battery Shoe - 30656851
AOC Oil - 31367941
AOC Filter - 30787687
Rear Tow Eye Cover - 39886337
Rubber Floor Mats, Black - 39807167
Rubber Tunnel Mat, Black - 30789009
Mud Flap Kit, Front and Rear - 30764294, 30764295

Amazon:
Mobil 1 75W-90 for Transfer Case and Rear Diff
Mobil 3309 for Trans, case of 12
Fluid Extractor

With the correct battery shoe, the cover fits. I know, it's amazing. Installed the mud flaps, left out the rivets though. They're definitely not needed in the back, front could be iffy. I'll use some moulding tape if needed down the line. Unpainted tow hook cover matches pretty good when the car is filthy. The factory rubber mats are great, I love these things.

It's been real cold, so I haven't changed all the fluids yet, just motor oil and rear diff so far. I picked up a Powerbuilt fluid extractor, it's cheap and decent quality. I really love the hose it comes with. Getting all the rear diff fluid out was a challenge. I had to move the hose around a few times. I was able to put it just under 800ml before it started spilling out, so I'm pretty confident I got the vast majority of it. AOC fuild and filter and transfer case are up next when I get some time, tranny last.

At this point in time, I had to use the windshield washers for the first time....no fluid. Bought some, filled up, headlight washers spray, but no windshield. I popped the hood to find a wet engine, look around and see the 3 way check valve under the driver's side nozzle is missing the bottom. I threw a vacuum tee in I had laying around and figured it was time for more Tasca.

Round 3

Tasca:
3 way Washer Check Valve - 31391513
Trunk Mat, Black Rubber - 8698284
Grocery Bag Holder for Trunk - 30721709
First Aid Kit - 8551552
E-Focus Torque Mount - CM5Z-6068-A

Put the valve, trunk mat, and first aid kit in the car. I put the E Focus mount in the todo pile. I went to install the bag holder only to find that they must have changed it at some point. The instruction show 4 mounting holes per side on the rail, but mine only has the 2 inner. Time to measure and drill some holes. After measuring and double checking, it turns out I didn't need to measure at all. Pull the rubber stops off the rail, lay the threaded backing plates on the rail with the shot side facing the rail end, mark the hole location on the rail, drill out and debur the rail, and install like in the instructions. I did notice that the way they tell you to install places the rail directly over the trunk light. I moved mine back so that it wasn't blocking.

I promise I'll add pictures and some interesting stuff to these text wall in the next few days. Bear with me a bit longer.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
nice work so far... any plans yet for the power upgrade? or what suspension youll do?
my advice would be lower the car, but as little as possible. THe 1.5" drop is too much to maintain any comfort. you may be able to find some OEM lowering springs and match them with some decent struts up front. But as far as i know, The rear of these cars is kindof hopeless for improving things with maintaining comfort. The spring rebound on lowering springs just isnt a good match for stock shock in the rear. I noticed this especially after driving a car with a well sorted suspension recently through my neighborhood. The bumps that kill me in the volvo are practically non-existent in most other cars.

but if you need any more suggestions, i'd be glad to give feedback on any of the stuff that i have in my signature.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks. Basically everything is planned and mapped out, but some things hinge on what I can fab up.

Power:
Custom built 3" Stainless turbo back. I may make my own muffler again trying out a few new things. I made my own super light weight muffler on one of my old MK2 VWs. This one could go a few different ways. I'd love to be able to replicate the tone I was able to create with my old E30.
Custom intake. I have a few ideas kicking around that I want to try out, things I haven't seen done before on here. This could also go a few ways depending on results.
do88 FMIC with custom intercooler pipes. Pretty straight forward.
Tune is still up in the air. Without talking to any of the tuners yet, I'm currently leaning towards Shark. Personally I wish I could use my Taxtrix cable on this car, or a Cobb tuner or something.
That's it, nothing fancy.

Suspension:
Leaning towards Eibach springs
Camber arms are sorted now with my customized Massive ones
Front struts are most likely going to be Koni Sports
I've got 3 ideas for the rear shock debacle, I'm confident at least one will be satisfactory.
Rear swaybar is leaning between a 22mm or 24mm solid double adjustable. I'm more trying to match up the bar to the lower height and stiffer springs more than keep the car flat and artificially increasing the spring rate over uneven bumps.

Brakes:
Brakes are fine for me, but I'll need to do the rears soon.
Centric high carbon rotors
May go with Stoptech pads, maybe something else. Whatever I go with, it will just be mild performance pads
May put on some IPD stainless lines if the need arises.
For the time being I'll be staying with the 300mm setup.

Exterior:
Wheels are a bit in the air. Waiting for some weight specs to be released. My main priority is no more than 18 lbs in a 17x8. I have a short list of affordable wheels. I'm not willing to spend $450 per wheel again.
Tires are also up in the air a bit. Size will be 225/45/17, and they'll be a summer tire.
On the fence about the stock rear trunk lip spoiler
Fix 8 years of wear and tear

Interior:
Finish making things look new.
Possibly ditch the aluminum trim and switch to black.
Pray for a USB option that isn't going to cost me $400.

Those are the broad strokes. Things could change along the way, or if I don't like something, or if something breaks and I replace with something better.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Taxtrix is a OBDii to USB? If that's the case you could get an ARD tune. Only $400 if you already have the cable.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I got the AOC fluid and filter changed out today.

So item number 31325136 has been superseded by 31367941. The new oil just calls itself transmission oil. I had to double check when I got it in thinking I may have been sent the wrong item.

It's pretty thin, so it's much easier to suck out than the rear diff fluid. I couldn't get a socket on the plug, but a 12pt box wrench did the trick. You can fish it in from multiple angles to break it loose, and do the final tighten. The rear diff plug I attacked from below with a small extension. You can throw a few long ones and a swivel and get it from the wheel well, but it's easier from underneath imo.

I used a 60cc cath tip syringe to fill both. I used a short, maybe 3", piece of tubing on the end for the AOC. In sticking with the medical theme, I used some oxygen tubing, but whatever works.

I changed the filter before I refilled, and damn that thing was a pain. If I ever was going to do it again, I would drop the driveshaft. The bottom bolt was easy, and loosening the top bolt half way was easy, but I had to use some bent tip needle nose pliers to get it the rest of the way. I used a combination of a Vessel Peta Rache, a 1/4" drive hex bit, and a 1/4"combo wrench to loosen the bolts.

For those that have no idea what a Vessel peta rache is:

I'm a big fan of Vessel. Their NA distributor gave me a brand new impact wrench when I was rebuilding a used one I picked up. There was a lot of back and forth with me, them, and the Japanese office since some of their diagrams were not correct. Their air tools are not cheap, so that really stuck with me.

Anyways, once those two bolts were out, the aluminum cover came right off, and with a little persuasion from an angled pick tool the o ringed plastic cover popped out. The spring in the filter then came right out. The filter itself took some work to get out. There doesn't seem to be any good place to grab it with a pick, so I just kinda tried to poke the pick into the inner bore of the filter to pop the inner o ring free. It needs to be tilted 90 degrees to clear the driveshaft flange. I cleaned out the bore with a clean rag, lubed up the new o rings with some AOC fluid, and everything else was the revers of removal.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has been very very cold here the past few days, and it looks like it will be for a while longer. That being said, not much has happened the past few days on the car. So with the temps so low, I figured it was the perfect time to get my VIDA/Dice up and running.

My laptop needed a wipe and Windows reinstall, so it was the perfect time. I was afraid of the various hoops I may have to jump through to get this up and running from all the help threads. My original goal was to do a fresh Windows 7 Ultimate 64 install, and do a virtual machine to install VIDA into. Then I said screw it, let's keep it simple. I installed Windows, my drivers, and then onto updates, updates, and more updates. My Windows disk is pre SP1, so there were a lot to do.

Once Windows was fully up to date, I tried installing VIDA. It immediately threw an error telling me to install IE9. I did that and tried again. After about 20 minutes I got another common error message saying no go. Then I remembered seeing a Java window pop up on one of the install guides towards the end. Installed Java, and reinstalled VIDA. Success, no muss no fuss. Installed the hack, went out to the car to hook up the Dice, do a few random test diagnostics, done.

I got the cheapest one on Ebay straight from China, just fyi.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another Tasca order placed. I have a startup squeal, a very slight one, and I can't pinpoint whether it's coming from the accessory belts/tensioners, or the timing belt/idler/tensioner. I was planning to replace all of it come spring, but since I can't pin down the source I wanted to be safe and just get the timing belt out of the way. Of course you can't just order 1 thing from Tasca, so I threw in some other bits.

Timing belt kit - 30731727
Trunk side storage box - 8698459
Warning Triangle - 30673259
Washer hose clamp - 982212
Center console rear cover with bottle holder - 39850613
Screws and nutserts for the engine splash shield - 998164, 30683256
Water pump bolts - 985151

I tried ordering a trunk power outlet, but Tasca says it's NLA.

I also ordered a new Aisin water pump, WPV-800, from RockAuto, though I should have just went through Amazon. Might as well get the same pump for 1/2 the dealer price.

The weather is all over the place, but hopefully I'll get at least one good weekend day soon. Timing belt looks pretty easy on this car compared to some others that I've changed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's been real busy at work, weather has been rough, and my camera has been acting up. I haven't had time to do much of anything, but took the long way to work and took some dirty cell phone pics on the way.

Random parking area on the side of the road, Martha's Vineyard in the back across the water.

Different parking area, the Vineyard still in the back.

In this angle behind the car you see the Vineyard on the left, and Nobska Lighthouse on the right. The road going by Nobska has been in a few movies. It's a great road to cruise on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I snapped some interior pics as well.

Putting the rubber mats to work. You can see the new center console cushion and emergency brake lever cap.

Can't really see in the pics, but the aluminum trim is real beat in the car. I'm going to try just filling the dings and using some trim paint first.

My rear door panels are really beat.

The rear seat has taken a beating and has a lot of patched areas. It's not too bad though. You can see the center console rear panel with the bottle holder I swapped to as well.

Don't forget to order the safety triangle holder clips if you order one. Next time I'll get them. You can see the mat and the grocery bag holder as well. The instruction tell you to install the bag holder at the very back of the openings, but that would obstruct the light. I plan to use some spacers on the mounting bolts so the main bar doesn't bow like it does now.

I bought the little side bin as well to hold an interior/exterior/glass microfiber and interior/exterior detailer spray. The foam under the floor doesn't fit 100%, I'll have to trim it a bit. You can see that I had to squeeze it in there and it's deforming the bin a little bit.

Dirty engine pic. Had to get the smaller positive battery shoe to fit the new battery cover. Yup, that's gold coolant. When I got the car I noticed it was a mix of the original blue, and had green in it as well. I flushed the system when I did the timing belt/water pump the other week. Everything on this engine is spotless, no leaks anywhere.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Man, I am taking a collection of part numbers I didn't know existed for our cars man - rubber trunk mat? side trunk storage box? Hells yah! Besides this I am in the same boat as you putting things back together and fixing things. Are you going to pull the old seat material off and order new ones? I need to do that for the drivers seat as it's beat to ****. rear and passenger were fine - I also had to order some of the grommets for the door locks. mine was missing 2. I am going to be doing the AOC oil and filter soon. Wish me luck. I've found universal joints, and a 1/4 box or 12 point wrench and a torx bit do wonders for clearances here.

My wife is not a fan however, of pirated anything (software, movies, tv shows, nothing) so in order to escape her wrath I have to pay for VIDA, so I downloaded 2015 and when I get my DICE on tuesday I will hook it up and we'll see how it runs. It installed with out a hitch on my windows 10 home x64. I have a computer downstairs that has windows 10 home x64 on it so I am probably going to put 2014D on there as a backup. They're fun cars to work on for sure!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Im getting ready to sell my stock downpipe. Is there any chance you want to buy just the turbo flange... as far as i know, it isnt available as a part. but i will cut it off the old pipe and ship it if someone is interested.. Just saying, it could make building the downpipe much easier.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im getting ready to sell my stock downpipe. Is there any chance you want to buy just the turbo flange... as far as i know, it isnt available as a part. but i will cut it off the old pipe and ship it if someone is interested.. Just saying, it could make building the downpipe much easier.
Thanks for the offer, I've found 3 different places to order stainless flanges for it. I can always machine one myself if I had too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man, I am taking a collection of part numbers I didn't know existed for our cars man - rubber trunk mat? side trunk storage box? Hells yah! Besides this I am in the same boat as you putting things back together and fixing things. Are you going to pull the old seat material off and order new ones? I need to do that for the drivers seat as it's beat to ****. rear and passenger were fine - I also had to order some of the grommets for the door locks. mine was missing 2. I am going to be doing the AOC oil and filter soon. Wish me luck. I've found universal joints, and a 1/4 box or 12 point wrench and a torx bit do wonders for clearances here.
Looking at prices for seat leathers from the dealer will make you cry. It would probably be cheaper to get custom leather made from scratch. I'll keep my eyes open for some decent used ones, but I'm fine with how they are for the time being.

The AOC filter is a pain no matter what you use, it's perfectly doable though.

Next time I order from the dealer I'll be picking up the little trash bucket thingy that goes behind the waterfall. I need a place to throw receipts and straw wrappers and things of the sort.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Thanks for the offer, I've found 3 different places to order stainless flanges for it. I can always machine one myself if I had too.
oh, good to know.. seeems like people were asking about them a lot? have you got a link to the places that sell them? and how much are they?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Been a while since I've updated. Things are starting to get a little more interesting. They're doing a lot of roadwork in my town right now, and a huge pothole jumped out at me in a rain storm. I bubbled one of my front tires, so I figured that meant new wheels and tires. It was very short notice, so I didn't have a lot of money to throw at them. I went with one of Tire Rack's in house brands, Monte Titano.

These are 17x7.5 ET45. They're pretty middle ground weight wise, about 19 pounds. As a budget wheel, $127 each, the paint was not perfect. I'll do what I can with them when the weather gets warmer.

So here's a shot of the stockers, which I'll refinish and possibly use for winter wheels.

And with the new wheels, and 225/45 Hankook S1 Noble 2s.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts