SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my 2013 XC70 3.2 has exhibited and sound like the door opening in an old horror movie. It seems to come from under the drivers seat. It only happens when I am going over a slightly raised area in the road and only noticeable at slow speeds, like when the car rocks a little. It does not seem to be in the suspension. I notice when I position the seat a bit forward, closer to the steering wheel and lowered all the way the noise is almost gone! I have checked for anything under the seat and it is clear, except for the seat mechanicals. There is nothing between the seat and the center console. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
This is a common problem that was more heavily discussed a few years ago on this forum. It is referred to as "the creaking noise" and occurs as you explained on V70s/XC70s. I do not believe there was a standard fix. It occurred on my 09 V70 only when it got cold.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You got it, a creaking sound and only when cold. It never did it when the temps were 70 or above. Weird.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have had it in my car... happens maybe a handful of times throughout the year when the moons align and it's cold. I just view it as springs within the seat bottom.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I know for certain it is not in the seat because I removed it and drove the car with a short step stool as a seat and the noise was still there. I now believe it is in the suspension and the sound is being transferred via the body so that it seems to come out from under the driver's seat. I'll keep doing some research. May even attach some piezo sound pickups at different points and monitor them via a set of headphones!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts