SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first my car is 85000 KM , i just replaced new fron struts , new bushing in everything new end links , even CV boots ....

I am complaining a problem no one has known it my steering wheel is shaking and under some certian conditions my steering wheel goes left or right by itself ... all the suspension stuff seems okay and sometimes i feel like i have to sell this car even i am really enjoying it but this uneven stabilty in driving is killing me ....recently i started to think about Sub frame bushing its the only thing i did not change ??

guys your help is really apreciated in this matter as i love this car so much but if this is a factory fault i will sell it and will never think about it ...sometimes i feel not safe in it ,,,, wheel alignment did improve a little but still not satisfied .... i have another s60 but not R which works just perfect with no problems to be compared to the R edition of this car !!!!!!:mad:

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Did you change the control arm bushings? It could also be your steering rack.
I would have to agree with Giorgi. What you have to realize about the suspenstion components is the only things that are able to move in a sidewards motion are the control arms(worn/torn bushings), Tie-rod ends(Inner/outer) and in rare cases the balljoints(pending near breakage. The strut and hub are dependent on the control arms strength to hold them in place, thus, movement would not originate from them. I wouldn't think that the control arms would cause wheel jumping all over the place as well as the outer tie rod ends seeing as they are simply a bushing like the endlinks. The inner tie-rod, is connected to the steering rack which I would blame for this nonsense. Unfortunately, if you do not have an engine hoist and the proper lift, inner tie-rod removal as well as steering rack replacement can be EXTREMELY difficult as you have to drop the rear two bolts of the subframe and loosen the front two but that's what I would look at. You could also check the power steering fluid as the smallest difference in level can and will cause a big issue. However, I would blame the inner tie-rod or the steering rack in this case. GL with the fix my friend. I had to get all my powersteering lines replaced, cost about $400 or so I would say you're looking at about $600-$800 which is relatively cheap for a fix.

Sorry about the novel but this is how my mind processes things haha

~Blake

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
What condition are your tires in? My back end got pretty squirrelly when my Conti DW's were worn, a new set of pilot SS all around fixed it

·
Registered
919 Posts
Steering rack replacement is a pain, but inner rods are very easy - get the lisle inner tie rod tool about $60.

At 84k kilometers they shouldn't be bad though. 84k miles maybe.

Control arm bushing could cause lack of stability because they may not resist lateral motion.

Other than that, if you messed with the subframe at all, make sure the bolts are still tight.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The left right movement of the wheel say when you are close to a stop is symptom of the sub frame bushings. Did you change the strut bearings and top hats? that might be giving you some play.

Not sure about the P/S lines, the pump only facilitated movement. Might be the rack, my old C70's was finished and the symptoms were identical.
The R's steering shaft started to act up (stiffness at certain angles) and went away after i changed my PS fluid which was "dirtyish". Gremlins?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Control arm bushing has been changed as well and the problem still the same . Even the dealer he is trying to convince me that this is R as it is ... They said everything is okay !!!!!! I am surprised i belive volvo dealer in the city i live sucks .....

For the tires i had perilli and changed them all to Hankook 18" 235 40 ... My original wheel is 18" with body kit

I took to some workshops but no one gave me a proper answer ... In the contrey i live there is 7 R in the whole countrey
So no body even the dealer sometimes they dont know the problem ??? I have s60 non turbo which is really more comfortable car stable even in 250km its stable ... R one is not okay ride quality is more more way less than the normal one , especially the suspension not stable like the nirmal one all i can say the performance is much better but NOT STABLE!!!!!!!!

Steering fluids and rack and inner tie rods all is perfect as dealer said

I am thinking about the IPD SUBFRAME BUSSHING ADDITVE PART some guy told me he had some symptots like i have and the bussing additive solved the problem ,,, i will give a try ... Money is not a problem all ineed fix my little Babe R

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What have changed a month aginis

Front struts both very expensive
New arm bussings
New link ends
New spring seats
Renew axels with Cv boots
It seems subframe bushing as the stering get moved in low speds while im slowing down.... Is it hard to change subframe bushing

·
Registered
103 Posts
I noticed the front of my car skips when I corner hard on ****ty roads. lol

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
what about a rear wheel alignment? My car gets squirrelly on bumps and uneven roads, but I'm pretty sure my rear toe is out of spec. TKI here I come! :D

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
When was the last time the caR had an alignment done?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did the wheel alignment before 3 weeks it made a better stablity but still not satisfied with it . Everytime idrive my nonturbo i feel wow steering is sharp and sticks to ground like stuckibg in ground even its FwD ... When i use my second car R HAHAHA I GET AFRAID !!!!! Its fast but not stable car even with the smart AWD and with the smartntraction and the smart suspention ... What a loss .... It is shame to be compared to nonturbo one without even stc or dstc and FWD. it creeps me out i just feel like wow everytime i drive the NON R !!!!!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If you went and replaced a bunch of suspension parts though...youre probably out of alignment again. Have them do a four wheel alignment and set the toe as close to 0 as possible.

·
Registered
876 Posts
To me, this sounds like "side hop" and I think that you should be looking at rear suspension parts. Check rear struts, bushings and as stated before, set rear toe to zero.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Or check for bad swaybar bushing?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts