SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a thing? So when I turn the car on I get this nice loud screech which goes away after a second. I inspected and notice the AC compressor is barely spinning.

I saw in a thread from search someone recommended disconnecting the clutch so the compressor will spin freely, I cannot find anything else on this. Is this possible and if so how do I do it?

I'd like to be able to drive the car until I can fix it, and also drive it to a shop to have the AC discharged.

Also, if this isn't possbile, how long until the belt pops LOL.

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Its the plug on the side of the AC compressor it's 1 wire.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Are you saying when you start the car you get the screech?

Or, is it when you turn the A/C on you get the screech?

The reason I ask is because the A/C compressor pulley should freewheel when you first start the engine then if you have the A/C switched on engage after a few seconds. If the pulley is seized and locked up then yes maybe it is causing the noise you hear but in that case unplugging the compressor wouldn't do any good.

BTW "until the belt pops" is not an LOL moment.
It would be more like a SOB moment because it could foul the T-belt and bend all your valves.

When those starters are going bad they make a loud screech on start up, maybe that's what you're hearing?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you saying when you start the car you get the screech?

Or, is it when you turn the A/C on you get the screech?

The reason I ask is because the A/C compressor pulley should freewheel when you first start the engine then if you have the A/C switched on engage after a few seconds. If the pulley is seized and locked up then yes maybe it is causing the noise you hear but in that case unplugging the compressor wouldn't do any good.

BTW "until the belt pops" is not an LOL moment.
It would be more like a SOB moment because it could foul the T-belt and bend all your valves.

When those starters are going bad they make a loud screech on start up, maybe that's what you're hearing?

hmm. Its a loud screech right after ignition.
Ok so I unplugged the compressor, sound is gone. Is it safe to assume that was the only issue?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm having a difficult time trying to conceive the exact nature of the issue you're having.

As mentioned, a failure of the auxiliary belt drive can lead to catastrophic engine damage.
To be safe it would be best if you can demonstrate the noise to an experienced mechanic of some sort.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Watch your compressor while someone else starts your engine. They run the compressor when the starter is cranking engine for .8 or so seconds (If engine isn't already running before .8 sec) is engaged to clear liquid, if any, that may have puddled in one of the compressor cylinders due to low mounted compressor. You can hear the screech if the compressor is hard to spin due to failure or is the system is over charged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts