SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short - unplugged battery to perform tune up, and now the steering wheel and ignition are locked. I'm thinking I might've tripped some security or anti-theft, but I don't know. I can't start the car at all. Oddly enough, I can change gears on the selector even though the key is in the "OFF" position, all the way back.<p>Figured to give it 24 hours like the stereo, but it appears that that isn't the trick. Thoughts? Advise? Please help!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
May be you happen to turn it off in a tight spot try wiging the wheel back&forth weild turning the key never heard of a securty that lock up like that

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: (guiedo)

Welcome to Swedespeeed, Jonathan.<p>Try this:<p>Sit in the driver's seat with seat belt on.<br>Remove e-brake if on.<br>Put the trans in "P".<br>Place foot hard on the brake.<br>With your left hand at 9 O'clock on the steering wheel and right hand firmly grasping the key in the ignition begin lurching your body violently back-n-forth while shaking the steering wheel and twisting to-and-fro on the ignition key.<p>Feel better?<p>If the steering wheel refuses to "let go" and turn freely thus allowing the ignition key to turn "ON" (it's actually the other way around) you may have a problem with the interlock. Has the ignition switch been acting up lately?<p>If the car is still down scroll down on this...<p><A HREF="http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/FAQSummary1.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/...1.htm</A><p>...and use the drop-down menus to go to the areas of concern.<p>My guess is that you have tried guiedo's idea and have been driving around in your freshly-tuned 760 all evening.<p>George Dill<p><br>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, my buddy (who is far more mechanically inclined than I am) and I called our buddy who's a Volvo diesel tech - we're probably going to have to take it to a dealer... Apparently there is a security system that shuts it down.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: (Littlejon126)

The car could have Volvo's "ON GUARD" security system.<p>With everything turned "OFF" and the battery cables firmly in place and all doors closed and locked stand outside the driver's door and use the key to unlock/lock the driver's door at least five times ending in the "unlocked" position.<p>Car should start OK.<p>BTW, if you have a keyless entry fob avoid pressing any fob buttons while inside the car.<p>George Dill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts