SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a list of the average lifespan of every non IRAN (inspect and replace as necessary... i.e. engine mounts/headlight bulbs) part that I can think of. This list is derived from previous AWD 5 cyl experience, reading the forum, and 12 years of receipts from my R. There are some things missing but I think I covered the major ones.

I've had this list of parts, replacement intervals, and prices since before I had even picked up my R. In the last 1.5 years I have updated it as I learn what was an over-estimation and what wasn't previously in it. My spreadsheet is separated by mileage interval. I also have a list of what I have actually done to the car but that will vary R to R. This list is also appropriate for any P2 AWD... I use it for the XC70 (minus certain R specific things).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hwnxoj0d4G77KwrynwJ9VAhlq_2exDXAG5KAVqei54U/edit?usp=sharing

If you have any suggestions or updates let me know.

**Edit** It now contains OE supplier interchange parts as well. I also collected the common parts for common jobs i.e. suspension, timing belt, clutch job. Note: for some of these I'd add seals and some miscellaneous stuff.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice list.

In my experience;
+ 4C Monroe's up front only lasted 80K.
+ One of my coil packs faulty @ 50k.
+ TCV faulty @ 75k.

CVs? Wheel bearings @ xxx?
And....no replacement TTYs Hound? Reusing them perhaps :p
I kinda felt that wheel bearings were IRAN. I'll have to make a survey to see when things failed for other people. I believe my data is skewed to things lasting longer because my R was driven on the highway a lot...

CVs will be added with struts at 120k because they're a 10 year item in my opinion. 120k miles for an R gets pricey. Wheel bearings might as well added at 120k as well because that is probably average although they can be very hit or miss.

TCV I've added as IRAN. No telling when a solenoid will fail.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Spark Plugs Volvo 8692071 $55.27 1 $55.27 20000 36 .....LOL wut?

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Suggestion: separate parts costs and labor costs/hours into two columns, rather than costs lumped into one column.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Suggestion: separate parts costs and labor costs/hours into two columns, rather than costs lumped into one column.
There's no labor. That's all part costs * quantity required... i.e. 2 struts required at 300/each = 600.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
IIRC Volvo says 40,000 miles? I'd probably go with 25k or 30k anyway.
It is 60k...30k is ridiculous and I've seen original plugs in 160k Volvos working just fine.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From struts to wheel bearings, there is no specified interval, you run them till they are shot and change them then, and as with most heavy duty parts, YMMV.
Yeah, everything like that is IRAN. I was trying to find a decent mileage to put them for $/mile calculations. My prior Volvo experience says coils, struts, and LCAs at 150k. Maybe everything non-timing belt should be 150k.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.