SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone discovered a method to install all roadmaps via USB for [NA] (Insert your region here) so that the installation is continuous from 0% to 100% without interruption?

OTA is out of scope because it would be slower and I want all of my installed roadmaps always current with each release.

Currently, I have to babysit the car every six minutes to keep it active and to avoid a timeout. What should be about 30 minutes can take an hour or more if I get distracted.

Is connecting a battery charger or equivalent a solution? I had done that in the early past but I have not done that lately.

Anyway, I am curious if there are best practices that I should be following.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
898 Posts
I simply put it to install and take a road trip of 35 miles to a destination I usually go to once or twice a month. So i just Time the installation accordingly.

From your comments I would assume that if you follow the same method as software update of connecting to a power source should work. “Only speculating not that I’ve done it yet. “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have done it twice till now. Once I did it in one of the local drive when I don't need it and it automatically kept resuming if I stopped in middle and completed in around 30 mins and another time I kept the suv running all the time in the garage during the update

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I also babysat the process the first time. But now, I just accept the fact that the USB will not be available (for music) for as long as the map update needed to, and just drive the vehicle when I need to. As my xc90 is not the daily driver, it may take several days before the map update is complete.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I never worry about timeouts. I simply click “download” on the three regions I always need and over the course of a couple of days (with multiple entry and exit cycles during the two days) the maps are installed flawlessly.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also babysat the process the first time. But now, I just accept the fact that the USB will not be available (for music) for as long as the map update needed to, and just drive the vehicle when I need to. As my xc90 is not the daily driver, it may take several days before the map update is complete.
Understand.

I am just a little too impatient to drive around. I was hoping that someone came up with a better solution since driving with installation requires the car to be turned off, locked and re-set.

The good news is that this is not a first world concern - just a desire for unattended update while stationary.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Understand.

I am just a little too impatient to drive around. I was hoping that someone came up with a better solution since driving with installation requires the car to be turned off, locked and re-set.

The good news is that this is not a first world concern - just a desire for unattended update while stationary.

The best solution is just to time the install in accordance with an appropriately long drive, as others have mentioned. But if you REALLY want to do it in one sitting... Here ya go:

Connect a sufficiently high current battery charger/minder to the car's charge points under the hood. I can't tell you the specific amperage as I'm travelling and can't look it up in VIDA, but bigger is definitely better. So is a charger with "smart" logic, such that it'll adjust automatically and not fry anything. Maybe one of the Volvo techs can chime in with the official amp rating on the ones used on the shop floor? (I think it needs like 15+ amps to not discharge the battery when in full "on" position)

With your foot off the brake, press and hold the ignition in the "start" position for about 5 seconds. This takes the car to "on" (what used to be position 2 in key-based ignitions) but without turning on the engine. Turn the auto headlights to off, as well as make sure the HVAC is off as well.

The car will then stay on, with the Sensus system powered on and you can do your map install in one sitting (though you'll still need to power cycle it after install).

Be aware, that while the car will try to shut stuff down if it goes into a low voltage condition, you're basically overriding most of the battery cut offs that would normally be enabled in the regular "turn on the car with the engine off" mode.

So yes, it can be done, but still generally much better to just plug the USB in, start the install, and just wait until it's done over one long drive or several shorter ones.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
I have not done any map updating, because it is not just good use of my time watching stuff downloading slowly.

The other reason is I dislike the map updating process today. I only drive on many limited routes in several states. Yet I have to update at least the full map of these states, even I can avoid full country. If there is a choice to only download maps for towns / cities I've driven to ever, it would be just a fraction of current hundreds of megabytes download. If for what I drive most often, probably there is no update at all, or just a few megabytes at best. That will be a quick thing I'd like to get.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone.

I prefer downloading and installing road maps during the allocated timeframe in the most efficient manner without babysitting.

I do not want to install “on-the go” via USB (not OTA) because the navigation is not available while installing, plus I have to stop, shut the car off and lock the car to reset Sensus on the go. That is neither convenient nor desirable.

Thus, knowing how to install efficiently without interruption while stationary at [home] is my objective.

Finally, since I drive many miles to different places, I am not apt to use regional OTA downloads/installs since I will eventually receive the Map Update messages which I also like to avoid.

So, it is sounding like a 40-55 amp charger is sufficient and maybe overkill (and I leave Total Software Uodates to the professionals like Tech and Gunshow).

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I do not want to install “on-the go” because the navigation is not available while installing, plus I have to stop, shut the car off and lock the car to reset Sensus on the go. That is neither convenient nor desirable.
Good point. Either I didn't use the navigation during times I updated the map and I forgot, or that wasn't the case for me (i.e. I was able to use the navigation).

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Thanks everyone.

I prefer downloading and installing road maps during the allocated timeframe in the most efficient manner without babysitting.

I do not want to install “on-the go” because the navigation is not available while installing, plus I have to stop, shut the car off and lock the car to reset Sensus on the go.
Gary,

What do you mean? That, while you are downloading an OTA Map upgrade, Nav is not available? I use Nav all the time while downloading map updates.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You have a T8. Fully charge it. Set your car to on. Put in the USB for update and come back about 1 hour later. done.
That is what I do.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Dupe

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Gary,

What do you mean? That, while you are downloading an OTA Map upgrade, Nav is not available? I use Nav all the time while downloading map updates.
Grecian, my scenario is about using USB for full download - not OTA.

I am trying to figure out how to update all of NA maps in ~35 minutes using USB at home. Sensus et al times out and the car will go to sleep within ~ 8 min. unless i keep it active such as a touching button or two every 6 minutes.

I figured that the technicians must have a method to update road maps with babysitting it, but then they may update roadmaps that often except as part of PDS and/or VIDA. I may be overlooking something simple with full USB updates.

Otherwise, I should just move into 21st Century and use OTA.

P.S., I updated my earlier response to clarify “via USB (not OTA)”.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You have a T8. Fully charge it. Set your car to on. Put in the USB for update and come back about 1 hour later. done.
That is what I do.
Nope. Maybe that works on a newer MY - not on a MY16. It times out and goes to sleep even with the hybrid and 12v batteries fully charged.

P.S., I should clarify that I turnthe ignition on but I do not start the car.

@Mavi57, were you suggesting a full start / foot on the brake style? I missed your point if that was your suggestion. Coming from the old school, I do not leave a started car unattended even electric but I appreciate the thought.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Gary,

Navigation is fully available even with OTA downloads in progress. That’s my go to, super convenient and no babysitting involved. Just check them to download and not worry about them as they download in the background. Each one's install is completed when the system is off. If I’m planning a trip out of my home region, I double check ahead of time to see if the destination regions have downloads available and initiate them. About every month or so (as it fancies me) I check off every available map update whether I realistically intend to drive to that region or not. Some parts I will never expect to go with my XC90 but since they are there and OTA is simple, why not :).

There are only two regions I've seen that are too big to be done OTA sometimes, and it’d be easy to plan USB ahead of a trip to or through them but I don’t expect to drive to them any time in the next few years so I don’t concern myself with them. PANAM Highway is distant bucket list item. We did the ALCAN a couple of summers ago and that was a blast. I would love to do it again although given the choice I’d opt for PANAM first before seconds on ALCAN (Winter ALCAN would be fantastic to experience). Still, I don’t need full continental maps always available at all times, just regional or country maps close to me and OTA don’t take that long.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks!

My goal, as the title indicates, is to find a solution for full USB installs. When i head out for a multi state journey, I like to know that all of the maps are current .

OTA is not the concern, but I am starting to accept that OTA is the best practical solution for most situations.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Nope. Maybe that works on a newer MY - not on a MY16. It times out and goes to sleep even with the hybrid and 12v batteries fully charged.

P.S., I should clarify that I turnthe ignition on but I do not start the car.

@Mavi57, were you suggesting a full start / foot on the brake style? I missed your point if that was your suggestion. Coming from the old school, I do not leave a started car unattended even electric but I appreciate the thought.

Yes full start - foot on the brake

1 - 18 of 18 Posts