SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2012 XC60 FWD 3.2 owner here as of Memorial Day 2012 and I love this car!

Like the title states, I am a tad unhappy with the factory halogens. When I purchased the vehicle a few days ago, there wasn't an XC60 on the lot that had the Bi-Xenon's installed other than the three R-series they had. Those were slightly out of budget for me and I elected to stay with the 3.2 FWD model, which I plan to add Polestar to very soon. I was MORE than willing to pay the $800 price for them, but none of the cars had it and my salesperson told me that non-factory installation was not an option.

So here I am, wondering what the best solution would be. My options are as follows:

1. Upgrade the H11 and H9 halogens to brighter version, such as the Silverstar Ultra or Philips Nightbreakers. I know to stay around 55w on these, as not to melt the bulb sockets or jack.

2. Send my new baby to a local shop to have an HID kit installed. A dealer in Marietta, GA quoted me $250 for an 8000K kit and said he would add the high beams too for a total of $350. His only disclaimer was that he would install the wiring relay to try to "trick" the bulb out warning, but could not guarantee it. His available product was Xentec. I really don't want an 8000K kit - I'd rather have the Philips 6000K kit.

3. Order the above-mentioned Philips/OSRAM 6000K kit for my low beams for $269 and install them myself. I can also add the high beams for another $269.00. They ship with the proper wiring relay and the tech support rep told me that the relay cable is guaranteed to prevent any flickering or "bulb out" warnings on the Volvo XC60. While I am a handy guy, I don't want to take risks with my XC60 and would prefer professional installation.

4. Live with the stock halogens.

I had HID lighting on a 2006 Nissan Murano two cars ago and I really miss the HID lighting. They made a huge difference for me and live in an area in Northwest Atlanta where some of the streets are no well lit and have winding roads with not a ton of room.

it would be fantastic to have the halogen's retrofit with the OEM bi-xenon ABL lighting, but apparently this is just not possible. I am open to your suggestions and advice!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Howdy-person who would have been a kinda-sorta neighbor when we lived in Sandy Springs(moved in '08). :) We purchased 5 vehicles from Nalley Volvo and one Lexus from Nalley Lexus...I really miss those guys!

Coupl'a' things...A)Didn't know you could Polestar a 3.2 (?)
2) I wouldn't be doing a lot of cutting and pasting on 'my' new vehicle. We had Bi-Xenons on our '08 C70 and skipped them on our '11...certainly there is a difference, but even DW(who doesn't have great eyesight) isn't bothered by the change. I did just replace the factory low-beam lamps on our '10 XC60 and I can say the Silver Star Ultras are 'cleaner' and slightly brighter than what we replaced(by a marginal amount). However, I don't think the change would satisfy you IF you are truly missing the Xenons. Honestly, I've never been in a situation that required more light than the factory set-up. I believe the 'throw' from the XC is pretty darned good(and we're dodging plenty of deer out here in central Texas), especially with the high-beams on. We were one of the lucky ones to get fogs, but I never use them...I can see how they would 'help' in a parking lot or other tight quarters, I just never turn them on.

I wish there were an easy solution for your conundrum. I also wish that a significant increase in headlamp output didn't result in a directly related shortening of lamp life(within the halogen world). One good thing is, with the kind help of folks from this forum, my swapping just the lamps was an easy task. Dropping in the Silver Star Ultras will take 10 minutes, if you decide to go that route. :)

Good luck...and if you see John V. in Nalley sales, tell him Coach Rick in Austin says 'Howdy'!

Enjoy your new ride...we're three years and 53K miles into ours...great vehicle!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I stand corrected! I could have SWORN Polestar was available for the 3.2, but clearly it is not. Well, at least I just saved myself $1299 to $1499! I'm not sure where I saw that information now, but I need to look again. The Volvo website does state that it is available for the T6 engine which makes sense because the modification affects the turbocharger, in addition to other engine processes.

Thank you for the information on the halogens. I am considering the Silverstar Ultras, but agree that it may not be worth the marginal increase. I will keep looking into options.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anybody hear of or try the Sylvania ZXE Halogen bulbs?
They are suppose to be the brightest and whitest halogens on the market now.

Any feedback? Worth switching my perfectly good stock bulbs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've read about them on the Sylvania website. They are not as white or bright as the Silverstar Ultras, according to their own documentation. They do have a slight blue tint to make them look like HID.

I am apprehensive to use the brighter halogens because everything I have read says that they do not have the life cycle of standard halogens. Even the Sylvania packaging indicates a shorter life span.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Anybody hear of or try the Sylvania ZXE Halogen bulbs?
They are suppose to be the brightest and whitest halogens on the market now.

Any feedback? Worth switching my perfectly good stock bulbs?
Since our vehicles run the lights full-time, I don't think you could expect more than a few months from those lamps. Looks like some of the reviews were talking about 6 months life span. If they were significantly better in output, I'd still balk at changing out $60 lamps twice a year. Just my .02

There are discussions on the 'zon and some BMW forums that go on and on about headlamps. We've had some discussions in the XC60 group. I went with the Silver Star Ultras after a bit of research. Seemed to be the best combination of performance and expected life for the price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I took the plunge and bought the ClearVision Solux halogens. They arrived today and I installed one this afternoon on the driver's side. I wanted to compare the EIKO to the stock halogen and yes, it is definitely a whiter light. I took a photo of it with my iPhone but the photo has a lot of glare so it is difficult to see the lights properly. I'm not convinced they have a longer throw though, but I need to drive when it is darker outside so I can get a better read on them. Thus far, the original halogen (OSRAM brand) seems to have a better throw, but it wasn't completely dark when I drive earlier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick follow-up to this thread:

The Solux halogens have been outstanding thus far and yes, they were brighter than the stock OSRAM bulbs. I highly recommend these for your XC60!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts

The Solux halogens have been outstanding thus far and yes, they were brighter than the stock OSRAM bulbs. I highly recommend these for your XC60!
Well done. You could likely sell your OEM lamps for a few bucks to one of the early('10,'11) buyers(We were in the market a few months ago, if you recall).Win-win, as they say. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts

Well, maybe I expected too much. Received my Solux today. To be honest, i only noticed minor difference. Better than the OEM, however far away from HID. I will still think about HID.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Well, maybe I expected too much. Received my Solux today. To be honest, i only noticed minor difference. Better than the OEM, however far away from HID. I will still think about HID.

I ended up going HID, see my HID post

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I replied your HID post. Again, if you could share your brand info with us, that will be a great help. THX.

Phillips

1 - 15 of 15 Posts