SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Under the paint of the 03-04 Spaceball...

So I was going to paint the surrounding area around the spaceball and I found something interesting, and began sanding... heres a teaser...

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
I don't get it... are those letters or something? :confused:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It's not aluminum/stainless is it? It can't be...that would be way too cool...

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not aluminum/stainless is it? It can't be...that would be way too cool...
yeppers, aluminum underneath. I was surprised too, I always thought it was plastic.. I'm totally wondering why Volvo decided to paint it and just brush the aluminum...

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
holy crap no way! I always hated it how it didn't match the the rest of the aluminum surround. That would be sweet if they matched up. What about the actual ball though??? perhaps that is why they painted this.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The ball is plastic

The base surround is indeed aluminum. You can see it by looking and bending the clips underneath.
That's exactly how I noticed it.

holy crap no way! I always hated it how it didn't match the the rest of the aluminum surround. That would be sweet if they matched up. What about the actual ball though??? perhaps that is why they painted this.
Unfortunately the ball part is plastic. I thought of using some vinyl or something, but it may not match or wrap correctly. I also thought of painting it a different colour entirely (ie; body paint color).

Hmm, that's great to know, but is it somehow permanantly connected to the base plate? :confused:
Yep, it's permanently connected because of the way they punched in the aluminum with the plate. If you look under the spaceball opening, the aluminum is bended around the plastic in away that you can't deteach it from the plate without damaging the aluminum. I though of dremelling the lip off so that I can remove it...

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
lol sure, we'll do that to your leather shift boot tomedkaz... lol you like your headlight eyebrows, and I like the spaceball, it's arguably the most attractive piece in the interior (other than the cluster). Most passengers in my car notice the spaceball first..

Anyway, more pics later, more elbow grease...I'm currently hand sanding it as using any rotary tool is way too harsh for for the surface and might create deep scratches which would be even harder to sand out.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you have access to a glass bead blaster, that would be the most delicate way to remove the paint without damaging the surface and getting it all brush-ready.
Well, problem is, I think the aluminum has a sealer/anodized surface, so you'll need to sand that off too.
I doubt the glass bead blaster will remove that as well, but it'll definitely save some time!

getting through the paint and the primer is not quite as hard...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.