1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
524 Posts
gotta wonder why they're missing. It could be that the previous owner just didn't want to mess with taking them off repeatedly when working on the car, or they were broken when removed at one time and just not replaced.
I do not consider them brittle, but more like a fiber composition and don't take to bending too well. They do protect the underside from road spray and debris, so i keep mine around. i have repaired mine with epoxy.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
That's odd that they're missing as those particular ones aren't protecting anything that one would be servicing regularly so why remove them at all?

I am wondering if maybe they never made it to the car or maybe something else is going on? Definitely warrants further investigation.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I had to remove those to get the rear subframe to droop for my EVAP leak pump install. I'd imagine a shop worked on the suspension and forgot to put them back.

I've had two shops not install my subengine covers on oil changes, once on my WRX and once on my S60. I had to go back to get them. Oddly they never seemed to care to call me to come back and get them, and only told me when I arrived.

This is why I do things myself now.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I know what you mean. I wondered if I should replace some missing plastic/fiberboard materials that can eaten up by high curbs, ice chunks or just wear and tear.

The one in front of my S60 called an "air guide" has lost its plastic tabs/attachments and so I zip-tied it when it fell last winter over ice chunks. The main "air guide" in front of the skid plate directly under the front bumper tends to get scuffed up a lot. The two smaller ones you're referring to each have separate part numbers if you check them on IPD website you can order them.

They're there for a reason, probably to provide protection against rust and salt.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, just got back from inspection. Luckily a friend is the co-owner of a body shop. They've check each panels with a meter to get the paint tichness and all of them are spot on.

All welds, seams and panels are original. They also lifted the car to check underneath and there are no trace of damage/grinding marks or what so ever.

The only conclusions is that they were either:

-not there in the first place when it rolled out of the factory ( I doubt it )
-taken out at some point during service and not put back/misplaced
-got ripped off while stock in snow ( lots of it here in Quebec City during winter )

Anyhow, we bought the car, taking delivery next Monday :rave:

Thanks for the inputs!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts