SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my GF just called, told me she went out to the car and found that the right front tire is completely flat! Ugh!

Just bought the car literally a month ago. Does anyone know if this is covered under any type of warranty? I have the Dynamic package with the 18" Sleipner wheels/Conti tires. I read there is some type of 30 day road hazard warranty with Conti, is that true?

I havent seen it in person yet, I'll assume its a nail or something. Sigh......:(

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Tell her to put on the spare.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Using that fix a flat gunk might make the tire unsalvagable, or at least so labor intensive that your local mechanic will give up on it.

Can you use the compressor and get it to hold air long enough to get to a garage or tire shop? It might be a slow enough leak that you can drive it to get it repaired. A patch might be possible so long as it's not in the sidewall.

I'm not sure what Volvo's policy on patches are. My hunch is that they'd rather sell you a new tire (or 4) than fix it.

I bought the spare for exactly this reason. I don't want to ruin a tire for good with the sealant and be beholden to the dealer for a new one at inflated prices.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, just thought about that. what a PITA. Maybe I'll chock the car up on some cinder blocks, ghetto style, and bring the wheel with me to a local garage.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
yeah, just thought about that. what a PITA. Maybe I'll chock the car up on some cinder blocks, ghetto style, and bring the wheel with me to a local garage.
Official Volvo salesperson response:

"In the rare event that your new S60 has a flat tire (cough cough), the proper thing to do is call roadside assistance and wait for the flatbed.........and make sure to tell them that you need a flatbed if it is a T6."

·
Registered
237 Posts
The no-spare trend by all automakers is nonsense! Total BS to try and justify goop-poop band-aide that ruins both tire and rim. Optional spare is an insult... it should be standard.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The no spare tire thing is pretty common though. Hyundai is starting to implement it a lot (new Accent, for example). And everybody loves Hyundai these days!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The no spare tire thing is pretty common though. Hyundai is starting to implement it a lot (new Accent, for example). And everybody loves Hyundai these days!
I disagree that this is common. Sure, when basically every car has a spare and a few start not including it, now some want to call it a trend. I disagree. The vast MAJORITY of cars still include spare tires, so it's not really that common. I'll call it a trend and common when cars that have PLENTY of room for a spare tire stop including it.

Most cars that don't have spares are usually really small cars or hybrids that need space for battery packs. The S60 and 3 series are the rare exceptions for cars that IMO, SHOULD have spares but just don't.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Most cars that don't have spares are usually really small cars or hybrids that need space for battery packs. The S60 and 3 series are the rare exceptions for cars that IMO, SHOULD have spares but just don't.
BMW chose to go with the run flat option as a standard......which hasn't gone over well either. Whether it is a trend or not, the point is that Volvo didn't need to be a lemming and join in in order to give the buyer cool dual exhaust tips instead.

·
Registered
744 Posts
BMW chose to go with the run flat option as a standard......which hasn't gone over well either. Whether it is a trend or not, the point is that Volvo didn't need to be a lemming and join in in order to give the buyer cool dual exhaust tips instead.
I agree and disagree. I like my dual outlets. All of my previous vehicles have had them along with a spare, except for the B7 RS4. I haven't familiarized myself with the underside enough to understand why it can't be done. My old CC VR6 4Motion and the S60 have similar drivetrains.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah it is a pain. I just checked the car and I have a small tear in the sidewall. As if someone with sharp fingernails jabbed the sidewall! Could be a slashed tire...but I doubt it. Someone else drove my car over the weekend and parked really close to the curb, I'm wondering if thats the reason. If thats the case, these are some DELICATE tires if they cant sustain one little curb scrape!

I've been driving for 16 years in all kinds of situations (I'm originally from Montreal.....land of snow and HUGE potholes) and have NEVER have a flat tire. Now I do, and I dont even have a spare!

I want to try the fix-a-flat that comes with the car so I can at least drive it to a shop, but I dont want to risk damaging the TPMS.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Continental tires are a mixed bag. Fellow friends have had bad sidewall bubbles and other issues with them. I personally can't speak to this, but the stock tires don't have the most generous reputation.

The tear could be from anything, including the curb.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I agree and disagree. I like my dual outlets. All of my previous vehicles have had them along with a spare, except for the B7 RS4. I haven't familiarized myself with the underside enough to understand why it can't be done. My old CC VR6 4Motion and the S60 have similar drivetrains.
I tend to agree with wdimagineer. To say the spare was dropped in favor of dual exhaust is a bit naive. Yes the muffler now is where the spare should be but with the decision to drop the spare that could simply be a convenient spot now for a muffler. Dual exhaust with a spare isn't rocket science and certainly doable if engineered in.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
I tend to agree with wdimagineer. To say the spare was dropped in favor of dual exhaust is a bit naive. Yes the muffler now is where the spare should be but with the decision to drop the spare that could simply be a convenient spot now for a muffler. Dual exhaust with a spare isn't rocket science and certainly doable if engineered in.
Probably would need a longer tail end to accomodate it. Volvo stretched the cabin at the expense of trunk space......which also shortened the trunk floor. Regardless, very poor engineering on Volvo's part.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
How much does the spare cost and where is it placed??? What wheel/tire combination is the spare??? Is this most cost effective to purchase in Sweden or wait until one returns??? TIA

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts