SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On average my wife's new car has spent almost 20 percent of the time we've had it in the shop. We just got it back from a two week stay at the Volvo Hospital on Friday. Today, after a good bit of rain, my wife gets out of work to find the interior behind the glass roof completely soaked with water, the speakers full of water, the cup holders full of water and the carpet and ceiling fabric literally full like a wet sponge...it actually squished....so back it went tonight.

By chance, she ran into the general manger of the dealership and he said all the right things...Volvo will make it right, only have had to buy back 5 cars in 28 years, understand your frustration....Volvo will make good...blah blah blah. The leaking sunroof (I assume) is one thing, but the various sensor issues, noises, satellite radio not working, check engine lights, etc. I am not sure I am confident in the car anymore, and that's the worst feeling. It has less than 2200 miles on it...with over 200 being put on by the dealer during road tests.

I understand we are literally paying money to beta test these for Volvo, my question is..when do we start pushing back harder and demanding some sort of make good...or when do we consider the thought of having them get us out of the car?

Btw...Volvo is offering a make it right deal on the Xc90. If you were inconvenienced by a repair, your car being out of commission, etc. the shop manager can make a no approval necessary offer to you of up to $750 for your troubles. This money is billed directly back to Volvo. We picked up a check last Froday when we picked up the car. That should tell you,the issues Volvo is having if they are having to pay "PR MONEY" to keep customers happy. Something to keep in mind!

Sorry for long post...wanted to vent!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Get them to buy it back. Water in the cabin is not a funny matter. It can do all kinds of damage that you won't find for some time.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I am not sure I am confident in the car anymore, and that's the worst feeling. It has less than 2200 miles on it...with over 200 being put on by the dealer during road tests.
you're at a crossroads... you can continue moving forward with repairs or draw the line and request a swap or buy-back. i would not be pleased or confident in a vehicle's electrical system after being soaked with water regardless of what time of insulation it may have in addition the smell of mildew and possible risk of mold on all the carpeted areas and cushions is where i would say no thanks. this is now your car.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Here's a perfect time for an update to my leaking issues. Took car in when I found water in the plastic rear compartment but no evidence elsewhere. They didn't figure anything out.

Woke up this morning to heavy rain. See pics below. Headliner next to tailgate is damp.. Water streaks by speaker covers in headliner. This is truly sad and alarming. Volvo clearly has a big problem here. And of course the dealerships know nothing.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yikes, gag!

All the electronics gremlins are solvable, and hopefully will be addressed in this coming update. THIS however is a huge concern. If I had this issue, I would insist Volvo buy the car back. Even if I don;t have this issue, I will be worried it is going to crop up down the road. It stinks to have a pit in your stomach about a vehicle you haven't even taken delivery of.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I'm sure they'll fix it. Happened to our new 2015 F150 water leaked through the moonroof, there was a hose that was bent/blocking drain hole that takes the water out & now everything is fixed no more issues after 7 months :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm sure they'll fix it. Happened to our new 2015 F150 water leaked through the moonroof, there was a hose that was bent/blocking drain hole that takes the water out & now everything is fixed no more issues after 7 months :)
You act like it's that simple. The three times I've brought it into the dealership, they know nothing. They are shooting in the dark trying to figure it out. I finally got onto Volvo chat and talked to someone from corporate, who is going to intervene.

It's not just that it's leaking water through the seams of both pillars, the entire rear third of the headliner is soaked, including around the B&W speakers, which I'm sure are damaged.

Furthermore, every time there is a heavy rain and I open a door, tons of water comes spilling out from the door well, like it didn't have a place to drain. We're talking a BUNCH of water. In every door. But hey, at least it's not getting into the cabin from there, too!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
You act like it's that simple. The three times I've brought it into the dealership, they know nothing. They are shooting in the dark trying to figure it out. I finally got onto Volvo chat and talked to someone from corporate, who is going to intervene.

It's not just that it's leaking water through the seams of both pillars, the entire rear third of the headliner is soaked, including around the B&W speakers, which I'm sure are damaged.

Furthermore, every time there is a heavy rain and I open a door, tons of water comes spilling out from the door well, like it didn't have a place to drain. We're talking a BUNCH of water. In every door. But hey, at least it's not getting into the cabin from there, too!
I can understand how frustrating it is, was the same for us (part of the headliner got wet) but thankfully was easily diagnosed & quickly fixed. Hopefully they will figure it out soon & do the same in your case. These things can happen but everything is fixable. Wishing you all the luck to a quick fix!

·
Registered
702 Posts
These things can happen but everything is fixable.
I appreciate your positive tone. However, a car with significant, or even moderate, water damage may never be the same. This is of particular concern in the XC90 with its significant amount of advanced electronics (that are buggy to start with). It sounds like you were fortunate with your F150 with the leaking being isolated, quickly diagnosed and fixed completely.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I appreciate your positive tone. However, a car with significant, or even moderate, water damage may never be the same. This is of particular concern in the XC90 with its significant amount of advanced electronics (that are buggy to start with). It sounds like you were fortunate with your F150 with the leaking being isolated, quickly diagnosed and fixed completely.
I mean, at this point, I have pretty much forgotten about the error codes, the seat adjustment screen popping up unannounced all the time, the vibrating B&W speakers in the door panels and the random software errors (such as navigation not recognizing major highways) that pop up now and again. I've got more important issues to worry about now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am convinced Volvo has a design/construction flaw with the sunroof assembly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
IMO, the water infiltration is getting in around the rear glass of the sunroof. Stand on a stepladder and look for yourself. The rear glass panel moves (a lot). It essentially rests on rubber. Which IMO, is the cause of our rattle coming from the roof.

Loose glass, rubber seals = water infiltration IMO. Wouldn't be surprised if we find out that ours leaked while sitting outside at the Volvo shop....

·
Registered
98 Posts
On average my wife's new car has spent almost 20 percent of the time we've had it in the shop. We just got it back from a two week stay at the Volvo Hospital on Friday. Today, after a good bit of rain, my wife gets out of work to find the interior behind the glass roof completely soaked with water, the speakers full of water, the cup holders full of water and the carpet and ceiling fabric literally full like a wet sponge...it actually squished....so back it went tonight.

By chance, she ran into the general manger of the dealership and he said all the right things...Volvo will make it right, only have had to buy back 5 cars in 28 years, understand your frustration....Volvo will make good...blah blah blah. The leaking sunroof (I assume) is one thing, but the various sensor issues, noises, satellite radio not working, check engine lights, etc. I am not sure I am confident in the car anymore, and that's the worst feeling. It has less than 2200 miles on it...with over 200 being put on by the dealer during road tests.

I understand we are literally paying money to beta test these for Volvo, my question is..when do we start pushing back harder and demanding some sort of make good...or when do we consider the thought of having them get us out of the car?

Btw...Volvo is offering a make it right deal on the Xc90. If you were inconvenienced by a repair, your car being out of commission, etc. the shop manager can make a no approval necessary offer to you of up to $750 for your troubles. This money is billed directly back to Volvo. We picked up a check last Froday when we picked up the car. That should tell you,the issues Volvo is having if they are having to pay "PR MONEY" to keep customers happy. Something to keep in mind!

Sorry for long post...wanted to vent!!
you should consider doing lemon car..hire an lemon law attorney i had issue with my honda accord and i got 2000 back from honda.

·
Registered
381 Posts
IMO, the water infiltration is getting in around the rear glass of the sunroof. Stand on a stepladder and look for yourself. The rear glass panel moves (a lot). It essentially rests on rubber. Which IMO, is the cause of our rattle coming from the roof.

Loose glass, rubber seals = water infiltration IMO. Wouldn't be surprised if we find out that ours leaked while sitting outside at the Volvo shop....
What do you mean the rear glass panel moves a lot? Do you mean it moves when you open and close it, and it's not coming to rest flush on the rubber every time, thereby creating a bad seal?

·
Registered
130 Posts
The back panel is flexible for a reason. For what reason I'm not exactly sure, but next time you're with the car push on it. It rests on the rubber and has some give/flexibility.

·
Registered
962 Posts

in addition to the myriad of electrical issues you may or will experience your interior & headliner will rattle like crazy if they don't replace with new clips or panels (which i am almost certain they wont). considering there is already an issue with some headliners rattling hopefully they can warranty a replacement and just give you all new pillars and headliner.

·
Registered
962 Posts
you bake the attorney fees into the case and dealer pays out and the factory reimburses them or get money directly from manufacturer. it shouldnt even get to that point. once you start throwing around attorney talk, social media and getting the local news involved and all that other good stuff the dealer will get this undone asap.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts