SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that without my EZ pass affixed to my window below the Intellisafe unit I get more forward collision alerts (trying to trigger it - safely!). But if I put it up, it doesn't trigger. Hard to simulate exact situation, but my sense. Any info on interference between toll pass RFID's and Intellisafe?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I have only used a toll pass device 2x with an XC90 and it did not interfere. However, the best place for such device is to be mounted on either the bottom left or bottom right corner of the windshield.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It seems that without my EZ pass affixed to my window below the Intellisafe unit I get more forward collision alerts (trying to trigger it - safely!). But if I put it up, it doesn't trigger. Hard to simulate exact situation, but my sense. Any info on interference between toll pass RFID's and Intellisafe?
We have the License Plate Mounted unit for EZ Pass, no issues that way!

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
There is no "IntelliSafe unit" per se. Rather IntelliSafe is a philosophy of integrating many different vehicle systems, components and functions for safety performance and it goes well beyond the advanced safety technologies like Forward Collision Warning, City Safety, etc.

What you're referring to is actually called the "driver support system camera" and "driver support system radar unit" which are both integrated into a housing at the base of the rearview mirror.

The owner's manual is very explicit about obstructions, camera/radar limitations and where you must not place objects on the windshield. What it doesn't explicitly say is that really you must keep both the inside and the outside of the windshield clear of such obstructions in the prohibited area. Are you getting the Owner's Manual indicator symbol and the service message "Windscreen sensor Sensor blocked, see Owner's manual"? It's also possible that your EZ Pass transponder might be interfering just enough to trip up the camera and radar system without triggering the indicator symbol.

All of this is a real drag, since EZ Pass say to place their ginormous transponder in the zone that Volvo prohibits. You might have to switch to a Exterior Transponder mounted to the front license plate instead, but that means you won't be able to take advantage of the EZ Pass Flex HOV switch.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
License plate mount? How does that work? Security?
Grecian - when you say bottom right, do you mean down by the dash or bottom corner of Intellisafe?
By the dash.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I have my EZ Pass transponder mounted a few inches to the right of the rearview mirror assembly with all of its attendant electronics and a few inches down from the top edge of the windshield. I have never experienced any functionality problems with either the Volvo systems or the transponder.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
I have my EZ Pass transponder mounted a few inches to the right of the rearview mirror assembly with all of its attendant electronics and a few inches down from the top edge of the windshield. I have never experienced any functionality problems with either the Volvo systems or the transponder.
Exactly the same spot I have my EZ-Pass transponders mounted in all the cars I've owned and never had an issue with the CitySafety in either my 2012 S60RD, or my current 2015 V60RD (w/Tech Package) and 2016 XC60.

·
Premium Member
2020 XC60 Hybrid T8 PE
472 Posts
Exactly the same spot I have my EZ-Pass transponders mounted in all the cars I've owned and never had an issue with the CitySafety in either my 2012 S60RD, or my current 2015 V60RD (w/Tech Package) and 2016 XC60.
As volvobuff and PureDrive07, I've had the EZ-Pass at the same location and when in Florida the SUNPASS has been placed to the left of center at about the same positioning and I've never experienced any problems.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I've had my EZ Pass mounted directly to the right of the unit/rearview mirror as high as it can go touching the headliner and never had an issue.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I used to have the transponder that mounts to the license plate, and sometimes it wouldn't register. I've since changed to the windshield mounted one, and it works 100%. The reality is that it probably doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure as long as you have an account, they will just bill you based on the license plate photo.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Try just leaving the EZ pass in your console. Seriously...it should read it just fine from there, as their sensors are really good at picking up the signal. In fact, I was told by the EZ pass authority that unless you keep it in that foil wrapper they sent it with, it will always read it. I tested this and it worked for me from within my console. I also throw it in my Jacket pocket when riding my motorcycle with no issues either. If by some odd reason it doesn't read for you, as stated by someone above, they will just bill you and once provided with your account info, and charge it to the account (no fees).

·
Registered
157 Posts
The only times I have ever heard of interference issues with an EZPASS happen to be on cars with special glass coatings (Range Rover Evoque) or ones with heated windshields (embedded microwires).

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
I used to have the transponder that mounts to the license plate, and sometimes it wouldn't register. I've since changed to the windshield mounted one, and it works 100%. The reality is that it probably doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure as long as you have an account, they will just bill you based on the license plate photo.
yes, but at some toll booths (New York), they still have an arm that blocks the path. So if you don't have a transponder, you can't get through....

(out here in California - SF Bay Area, I never carry my transponder and we just get billed. But we don't have any arms blocking the path.)

·
Registered
419 Posts
EZ Pass reads directly down from above. I just keep my EZ Pass on the dash all the way to the left, when I am on a road that uses EZ Pass. It always works perfectly. I keep it in the door pocket most of the time and I would never mount it on the windshield.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts