SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've a quick question for some of you owners out there, as I've yet to turn over 4000 miles in my Polestar, I wondered how long on average people are getting from their tyres and brake pads ? I've already managed to take the edges off the front tyres, but there is still plenty of tread left across the width. The amount of brake dust emitted by the front brakes is immense, so how long do these, again, on average last ?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Love to see a viable ceramic pad for the 6 pot Brembos, but I don't think anyone has found one yet. That would address the dust issue, which is not correlated with any type of increased wear. Time will tell how long they last...but the longevity of your brakes and tires/tyres are going to be most dependent on road conditions and driving style. For instance, my Pilot Super Sports have 5000 miles on them, and measure 7-8/32nds. Not a lot of twisties around here, so I might be doing better than those that have roads with bends, and certainly if they like to attack them!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I'm going to be replacing my PSS by 15,000 miles. My sidewalls are torn up and I am probably at 4/32 at most right now. The tires have a 30k treadwear warranty, so I will definitely be trying to claim it. After having to replace my rear rotors and pads from the "defective" Volvo pads that were originally on it after just 8k miles, I gave up searching for ceramics. The fronts are just too expensive to replace if something goes wrong. The front rotors are the same as are used in a number of AMG MB, so there are ceramics available, but they would take slight modifications(shaving off edges) to actually fit on our cars.

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge Pro AWD
456 Posts
Are you guys really replacing tires 2 at a time?!? Not what I would be doing on an AWD performance car.
It's no problem, 8mm are the new ones, the two others have 5-6mm.
The old ones on the front had 2-3mm at the end.
The difference to the new ones is less then it was, before changing.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
To each their own. I drive on winding roads very aggressively as well and have rotated once at 6,000 miles. I have been on 3 group drives and another by myself in just the past few weeks. Do you guys have treadwear warranties out there or is that just in the US? Foxy has gone to the track, so that explains his wear.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Just checked again: its more like 7000 miles on the PSS rather than 8000

Plus I only have 4mm left on the rear ones. So the new ones will have 8mm on the front, makes a difference of 4mm front to rear... I really thought it is less - a problem after all??

I might need to ask PolestarOfficial about this.

Right now I am on wintertires for the next 5 months... Front 6mm, rear 7mm

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
No. It's crazy that US wants everything and gets everything for nearly free.. ;)
Haha. No, we are about accountability. If you say that your product should be good for 30,000 miles, it shouldn't be wearing out after less than 10,000 miles or after 15,000 miles. If it does, you should be compensated and it is done based on mileage, which is fair. I do not think that those that go to a race track should qualify for compensation though as that is beyond the normal scope of use.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Haha. No, we are about accountability. If you say that your product should be good for 30,000 miles, it shouldn't be wearing out after less than 10,000 miles or after 15,000 miles. If it does, you should be compensated and it is done based on mileage, which is fair. I do not think that those that go to a race track should qualify for compensation though as that is beyond the normal scope of use.
And how would the tire shop know whether you did that or not?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts