SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a pair (2 pair actually) of new shoes for my red 2010 V70 R with the original Cratus 18". Any suggestions for All Season as I live in the Chicago area. I replaced my wife's silver 2010 V70 R with Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 about 18 months ago, but feel that the previous Pirellis handled a bit better. Always looking for handling over comfort. The only tyre manfacturer that I will not support are Michelins.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Surprised you don’t like Michelins as they are widely regarded as one of, if not *the* best, all around performance tire makers. Every tire company has a few tires that are better or worse than others in their lineup, but most of the current Pilot series offerings are comparable to or better than competitors within their respective categories. I actually came here to recommend the Pilot Sport AS3+ as a similar but more sporting alternative to the DWS06. I’ve had both tires on my S60 T6 and I preferred the handling, ride, road noise, and wear characteristics of the AS3+.

I thought the DWS06 paired well with my stock T6 suspension but they gave a really bouncy ride with my KW V3 coilovers, and when I replaced them with the AS3+ the sidewalls felt stiffer for better control AND less choppy body body movement. I attribute the better ride to the tires being stiff enough that the stiff KWs were engaged hitting bumps, allowing the dampers to then damp out those motions, whereas the DWS06 would flex on bumps, creating a springy sensation without the suspension itself articulating, so that energy would not be snubbed out by the suspension dampers.

Anyhow, those differences in ride quality may only be a factor with very stiff suspension, and I thought the DWS06 was a reasonably sporty tire that rode well on softer suspension. The AS3+ feels like a similar but sportier tire than the 06, so if you liked the 06, I think you’d like AS3+ even more. While there are a handful of other tires in this class, I’m not sure that you’ll find a better tire for the money.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Another tire that people seem to love on P3 Volvos is the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus. I don’t have any personal experience with them but people have raved about how quiet and comfortable they are while also having excellent grip and wear characteristics. They seem like a fantastic balance of attributes most people want in a tire for this kind of car...however, if you read between the lines, they may offer more than what you require in some attribute categories (comfort, quietness?) but may not be at the level of “sport” that you want. My own sense is that they would pair extremely well with a large comfortable wagon, but I’m not sure they would feel significantly sportier than the DWS06, if at all. They even have a less sporting look to the tread and sidewall shape/ design, which is a minor detail but a consideration nonetheless. I actually really like how the 06 looks mounted on an 18” wheel: Very squared off edges and not the dumpy sort of rounded sidewall bulge you see on equivalent sized passenger tires.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I've actually been researching Pirelli, but have become confused as to the varieties out there. I know the P7 from many many years back while living in Italy, but now you have P ZERO, P ZERO NERO, Scorpion, and am trying to understand the real differences. The Conti DWS06 which I have on my wife's car does perform quite well, I was just looking at other options. Perhaps Michelins would be the way to go, but I avoid them from issues dating way back when. I'm curious in finding out more about other manufacturers and if their tyres are comparable to the big manufacturers.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't have that much experience but my research tells me that if you can afford a pilot series Michelin tire (given it's tread wear etc) that's probably the tire you want. Given price and performance and treadwear and safety.... it's probably the best bet. The aforementioned Pilot Sport A/S 3+ seems like a killer all-around tire that could jazz up the ride on a grocery-getter but still keep you in a good rain/light-snow safety margin. I personally went for the Premier A/S for my last set (same price as Pilot Sport A/S 3+ but double the tread wear) and I'm very happy with the performance (snow grip is CRAZY for such a sporty tire) though one of mine was unbalanceable and needed to be replaced...

All the big guys (Goodyear, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Yokohama, Toyo, Continental...) all make great tires and you'll probably find something you like.

I concur about Pirelli's current line-up - I find it too confusing to make a judgement about why I would pick one over another. I also am leery of them based on reports from friends, mostly about tread wear issues.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Pirelli seems to be somewhat hit or miss with the level of quality, durability, and value of specific models within their extremely extensive lineup of confusingly similarly-named tires, however specifically the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus seems to get everything right, at least in terms with how they pair with the P3 platform. Users have also stated that the “Plus” designation is key, and that non-Plus Cinturatos are a very different experience and notably less good. Adding to the confusion is the fact that a lot of P3 S/V60’s came from the factory with the older style non-Plus Cinturatos, which no one really had much good to say about.

But the reviews around the Plus are amazing. This might be the best tire within its class for luxury-leaning sportyish non-sport sedan passenger sedans and wagons. They seem to stick, they are incredibly quiet (a factor that is so important for our platform in particular, given its propensity for generating road noise and how poor our sound deadening is), they ride beautifully, wear well, and they seem to be great in all weather. If they were available in my 235/40/18 size, I would have purchased these over my older DWS06 and my current AS3+.

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us...es/product-sheet/cinturato-p7-all-season-plus
That’s the link to Pirelli’s info, but a few minutes looking at reviews here and on Tire Rack’s site will show many many independent reviewers saying essentially the same things I’ve tried to relay.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for the suggestion regarding Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. Unfortunately it seems they are not available in 245/40R18 size either. Actually the only one on the Pirelli site in that size for all season category is the P ZERO NERO (97V). While Tire Rack also lists the P ZERO All Season Plus (97Y) - never could figure out this speed rating qualification and how it actually contributes to the overall quality / performance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the OEM Pirelli Cinturato P7s (non-plus) on my MK7 GTI, and they are quite frankly super mediocre. A cheap pair of General G-Max summer tires made a huge, huge difference in my overall enjoyment of that car. Yes, nice all-seasons will never be as fun to drive as even cheap summer tires, but there are definitely better all-seasons out there.

I've run Conti DWS in the past on two cars and been happy, but Michelin's A/S 3+ is widely regarded as the best all-season tire. I've heard of people comparing them to summer tires favorably, which is probably a bit of confirmation bias on their part given the inherent limitations of an all-season tire, but I can only imagine they're way better than the Cinturato. I loved the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my 128i and even the PS2s on my 993 did well on track.

Jeez, I've spent a lot of money on tires. haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts