SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to buy tie rods ends for 1983 volvo 240 DL must know what type of rack is installed on the car....it's located on a plate, but it is not on the car. how can I know what type of rack it is ?????? Thank You

Bill

p.s. where is a good place to buy tie rods ends???? need inner and outters

·
Registered
371 Posts
Re: type of Rack & Pinion (BillGallagher)

I don't now if this is going to be of any help to you or not, but you can tell the two types of racks that were used in Volvos by looking at the rods that come out of the rack. One type has shorter, thinner rods, and the other has longer, thicker rods... (Or is it the other way around?). I've seen that on rebuilt racks, the numbers that are stamped on the front end of the rack will tell you which one you have. It tells which one is which in the official Volvo manuals, but I don't know if they identify the two types in the Haynes manual because I don't have a Haynes manual, and right now, I'm too lazy to get into my Green Books. The identification is stamped into the casting of the rack, but as usual, when they are rebuilt, often those are ground down to make it impossible for the casual observer to identify them... those "rebuilders" are so proprietary with somebody else's parts! http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: type of Rack & Pinion (BillGallagher)

On an '83 it's going to be a ZF or Cam rack. The inner tie rods for a ZF rack have a plastic disc on the tie rod so the boot fits onto the disc. The inner tie rods for a Cam rack have no such disc, so the boot is just barely larger than the diameter of the inner tie rod.

http://www.fcpgroton.com should have pictures and instructions for identifying what I've described.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.