SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restoring a 68 1800s, chassis no. 28034. It was in horrible condition but after much welding and body restoration it's starting to come together. The problem I am having is with the dash layout ( switches, etc). This car seems to have more dash components than it has holes. It has a hazard switch and a separate dash light dimming switch as opposed to one built into the light switch. After installing all these I don't have room for an overdrive indicator light or an emergency brake indicator light or an overdrive switch. Since it was all apart when I got it I have no reference as to how it was laid out originally. On the left of the steering wheel I have wiper switch, choke, headlight switch and hazard switch. On the right I have panel light dimmer, ignition and fan switch. This seems to line up good with the wiring harness. There is room on the right to punch one more hole if needed. Since I don't have an overdrive switch, I am not sure if I am missing a toggle switch that mounts in the dash or if the stem switch mounted on the right side of the steering column can also be used for an overdrive switch as well as extra horn. The car did not come to me with the "loud horn", so I don't know if it ever had one. I think in my spare parts drawers I may have a headlight switch with the built in panel light dimmer, so I might possibly be able to free up one hole. Then I could put the overdrive indicator light in the first hole on the right, next to the steering column. Then I would need to find where the overdrive switch goes and where the emergency brake indicator lamp goes. It seems that the dash configuration has changed a lot from year to year, so it's hard to find a diagram of my specific car. Under the dash on both sides there are only two holes. They hold the overhead light switch and air vent on left and the map light switch and vent on the right side.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The OD switch is located on the right hand side of the steering column 180 degrees opposite the the turn signal lever and switch.

·
Registered
556 Posts
eagle;

It sounds like you have a good understanding of the dash basics...and that it varied based on model year...The Emerg Flasher was standard by '68, but it might not have been in the dash but added by US dealers underneath on an appendage bracket (not particularly attractive...that's why I like to install it where the Lighter originally was)...See: https://www.sw-em.com/emergflash.htm#retrofitted_SWF_e_flasher_in_an_1800

I'd try to find an owners manual...this will have a dash and controls description which you will find quite helpful answering Switch/Indicator location questions...otherwise, using harness as it sounds you already have will allow you to deduce a lot of it (sort of CSI Goeteborg...!)...OD switches also changed based on model years as you noted, from dash-toggle to stalk-momentary, but I'm not absolutely certain of years (if later rectangular bistable/latching relay is present on relay panel in engine compartment, that suggests stalk momentary- verify with wire color codes!) See also: https://www.sw-em.com/OD_Retrofitting.htm#Wiring_of_the_OD

General note and suggestion: The color codes of wiring have good consistency with those published in Wiring Diagrams, so I always say these are your "friend"! See: https://www.sw-em.com/1800 Wiring Diagram.jpg Remember, don't get bamboozled by all those wires...take it one wire at a time and take your time...as this would be considered a "major electrical work/rewiring" I'd definitely recommend limiting available energy on first power-up checkout to limit potential damage if you got something wrong. See: https://www.sw-em.com/Battery Notes.htm#limiting_available_energy

...hope that helps just a little...Good Hunting!

PS. Change that ridiculously overrated Fuse 3 to a 8-10A Fuse! See: https://www.sw-em.com/tech_bulletin_4.htm This applies to ALL early (non-injected) 1800 owners!

PPS. ...and while you're reconnecting things, I strongly suggest you used ACZP, see: https://www.sw-em.com/anti_corrosive_paste.htm ...and while making electrical improvements, you might consider replacing that awful Lucas main dual Fuseblock...https://www.sw-em.com/tech_bulletin_3.htm

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I printed out a 1968 owner's manual, but it was of little use, because the layout was substantially different. I do have a remarkably good wiring diagram from Warren Townsend, that is 100% accurate in wire colors and 99% good for circuitry. I Have electronics training and experience, so the wires don't faze me. Thanks for all the little tips, very helpful. I think I will just put the o'drive control on the stalk and try to eliminate the panel light dimmer switch and that will give me room for the o'drive indicator light on the right side instrument panel next to the column, which is where the manual shows it and also where the wires come out of the harness. I still have no idea where the emerg brake light goes and I don't seem to have a hole left over to install it!

·
Registered
59 Posts
The OD switch is located on the right hand side of the steering column 180 degrees opposite the the turn signal lever and switch.
The O/D switch moved from the dash to the steering column as a "stalk" switch in about 1965, taking the place of the former "highway horn" stalk switch. The early cars had two horns, a town horn and a set of louder highway horns. The town horn used the central horn button, and the highway horns were activated by pushing the switch stalk into the steering column. I believe the parts manual lists the highway horn switch as the same part number as the later O/D switch and outwardly they look the same--like a turn signal switch. But in fact they can't be because they don't function the same way. The horn switch was a contact switch while the O/D switch was a toggle. I think the later 1800S and 1800E cars have only one horn.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the clarification. I think I have that part of the problem under control. Now, if I can only find out where the emergency brake warning light was located, I'll be all set!

·
Registered
556 Posts
eagle;

... by process of illumination, its the last hole left over when everything else has been installed...and again, try to use harness and cable colors/lengths as a clue...!

Otherwise, I wanna say, late 1800s had them to the left of the Tach (but I don't have a picture) does your Dashboard have hole there?

Good Hunting!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem solved. The dash has been replaced. The old dash had the warning lights in the upper panel. Emerg brake lamp goes near left bottom of Tach. Overdrive apparently was near right bottom of speedometer. New dash doesn't have the holes, but they clearly show in the old dash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts