SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what type of oil everyone uses?

I know there is an old thread like this but was wondering what people were doing to date.

Synthetic, non-synthetic? Drain interval, and if extended drain, do you change the filter?

If you use synthetic, have you had more consumption? It does seem to be normal for an engine to use more oil after switching from a non-synthetic- at least for a few oil changes (not R specifically).

I have been using TRC Pro-Spec 5W-30 fully synthetic, it has some amazing TBN numbers. Someone I know used it in their Dodge Cummins for 35K! miles before changing, sent in a sample to the HQ every few thousand and said it was still clean. I believe they have more detergents in their motor oil than about anyone else AFAIK, but seems no-one really knows about them. I found out because an acquaintance is a sales rep and sells mostly grease and gear oil, etc., to farmers. Note, I am NOT affiliated in any way with TRC- I just really like their oil and have been using it for awhile.

PS
(By the way, I had a catastrophic PCV failure last night that left me stranded- a flashing CEL and horribly rough idle. After restarting it, engine wouldn't even run; it stalled after a few seconds. Popped the hood and the top PCV tube going to the valves was completely severed. I'm assuming it was pretty brittle and broke after a small stint of heavy throttle. Was testing my boost because it wasn't boosting to 14.7. So..it's in the shop- wish I could be doing it myself.)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Amsoil 5w-30 XL with Mann or Mahle filters and 7500mile interval. Pretty sure my pcv is leaking and causing my oil loss. Synthetics should actually have less consumption, they have more additives to keep seals soft and tight.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Mobil 1 0W40. Mobil usually has mail in rebates as well. I've paid only $2 a qt before. I want to try the 0w30 for winter but I'm not sure about that yet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
I use Castrol 10w30 fully synthetic with a 4-5k change interval... Might swap to 5w30...
Same here.

Its best in a turbo to stick with a fully synthetic due to it reducing the coking that will occur in the turbo over time.

Also a properly changed synthetic is not going to clog up your PCV system. Each time someone post pics of theirs full of sludge its a reminder of what putting waxy refined dino oils in their cars will do, especially when you don't change them frequently enough.

My PCV system was still completely sludge free at 160K miles just by using the right oil and changing the oil at reasonable levels. Sludge is always a sign of bad oil and bad maintenance.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Mobil 1 5W30 all day since I got her in 2013. @ $26 for a 5qt jug at Wally world plus the rebate you can't beat it. I lose a minimal amount between 3500 mile change intervals... thinking of doing a PCV system replacement soon just to be safe being just under 105k now, not sure if its been done by PO

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Liqui Moly/Lubro Moly Fully Synthetic 5w-30
Mahle Oil Filter

every 4k

·
2,524 Posts
I use Motul 5W-40 synthetic, I get from Amazon w/free shipping, perks of being a student haha.

I buy my year supply of oil filters from IPD during their black friday sale. I change my oil every 2.5-3K or 3x a year, I only hit like 5000 miles this year.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have been trying different oils and getting them tested to find the best one.

Mobil 1 0w40 5k Mahle filter

Royal Purple HPS 5w30 5k Mahle filter

Rotella T6 5w40 5k Mahle filter

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 Mahle filter -Currently in the car

·
Registered
706 Posts
My V70R has been fed M1 high mileage 10W-40 with STP oil additive, mann filter. It has 209k and the last Blackstone report came back with a very clean bill of health, good viscosity and flash points, and healthy levels of zinc, phosphorous, and moly with ~12 months and 7k on the oil.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have been trying different oils and getting them tested to find the best one.

Mobil 1 0w40 5k Mahle filter

Royal Purple HPS 5w30 5k Mahle filter

Rotella T6 5w40 5k Mahle filter

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 Mahle filter -Currently in the car
This is what my local Indy uses

·
Registered
569 Posts
Valvoline MaxLife 10W-40 which is recommended for high mileage cars.
http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/engine_oils/maxlife/cid(7548)/maxlife_10w-40

Used the same in my old S60 2.0T with 7.5k intervals. (192K miles on the clock when I sold it to a friend)
Never had to top up and 'never missed a single drop' - at least it felt like - the end of the interval.
Went trough several brands fs type such as Mobil, Castrol, Bardahl and finally settled with the Valvoline.

The R runs on the same since 3k miles. The oil is still reasonably clean and haven't had to top up either.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have been using the Mahle filter as well. Seems a lot better than the Napa Gold one I tried that apparently "fit" the car.

Is anyone aware of a finer micron non-paper type of filter? I know they exist for some other vehicles- just wondering if anyone here has used one in the past?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts