SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are heading out in two weeks flying from Little Rock to Chicago to Stockholm to Gothenburg. What is involved in clearing customs upon arrival? Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Our only out of country experience so far is Jamaica so we are not experienced travelers. We are heading south to Copenhagen on Monday and staying there outside the city but plan on doing some driving in Germany. We have to get the car back by 2:00 Friday and will head home on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Some countries in Europe insist that your passport have your signature. I don't recall if Sweden is one of them. But it doesn't hurt to make sure your passport is signed.

Also, see if your ticket class gets you some sort of an express line for the immigrations check. That may get you to a shorter line. I don't recall having any interactions with the customs check (after baggage claim) in any airports in Europe ever.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We are heading out in two weeks flying from Little Rock to Chicago to Stockholm to Gothenburg. What is involved in clearing customs upon arrival? Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Our only out of country experience so far is Jamaica so we are not experienced travelers. We are heading south to Copenhagen on Monday and staying there outside the city but plan on doing some driving in Germany. We have to get the car back by 2:00 Friday and will head home on Saturday.
We did the Stockholm to Gothenburg connection in Jan. You'll get to clear customs in Stockholm. Passport is all you'll need. The customs agents are the typical straight-faced folks, and they ask what's your purpose for coming to Sweden. We mentioned that we're going to Gothenburg to pick up our Volvo - and the large smile appeared on the agent's face. She was quite friendly after that!

After clearing customs you have to walk to another terminal for the Gothenburg flight. Remember to use the Fast Track for the security - and remember that you have SAS Lounge access. The lounge in that terminal is upstairs, accessed by a rather hard-to-find door. Ask someone if you can't find it.

When you return to the US, I highly recommend using the Mobile Pass app. We came back through Newark, and using that app, it took us a total of 12 minutes from when we got off the plane to when we where through customs (8 minutes of that was walking). When we got to the Mobile Pass booth, there was one person ahead of us. There were a hundred people in the regular line!

Hope this helps - have a great trip!!!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
When you return to the US, I highly recommend using the Mobile Pass app. We came back through Newark, and using that app, it took us a total of 12 minutes from when we got off the plane to when we where through customs (8 minutes of that was walking). When we got to the Mobile Pass booth, there was one person ahead of us. There were a hundred people in the regular line!
+1 on mobile pass, and make sure all your group's passport have been "scanned" in the app with their individual photos. Since your trip is soon, the alternate suggestion won't apply: apply for Global Entry pass, good for 5 years. There's a separate line that is almost always faster than the mobile pass route. But it takes a while to go through the application and set up the 10 minute interview.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Whenever I travel, I love doing food tours! You learn so much about a culture through food and sharing a meal. All of the food tours I have done were small group walking tours with a local. It will give you a great "taste" of the neighborhoods and you will discover some awesome places you never would have found on your own. It is also nice to be able to chat with a local for a few hours, because sometimes that is hard to do as a tourist!

I did the Foods of Copenhagen tour in 2017, and it was great! Book now...as I know it sells out.

https://foodsofcopenhagen.com/

One of my favorite Danish restaurants (which isn't on the food tour) is Told & Snaps in Nyhavn (which is another area of Copenhagen you must visit).

I would also highly recommed the Louisiana Museum and Frederiksborg Slot, both of which are just a quick train ride outside the main city.

If you need any other recommendations, be sure to check out TripAdvisor. That is my go-to resource for when I travel. Have an amazing trip and be sure to report back!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks, I like to hear of food suggestions such as Told & Snaps which is only a block away from our stay at 71 Nyhavn at the end of our OSD trip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts