SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thanks for the forum. As a new to Volvo owner I really appreciate learning from those who have been there before me. But I do have a couple of suggestions I think would be useful.

1. Move New member subforum to community. After I signed up and made my "new member post" I had the hardest time figuring out the new members were hidden in the Help and Suggestions forum. Maybe it will get more views, but at least it will be in a logical location.

2. Cleaner "How to" stickied posts. It seems like a lot of the threads being included in the How To sticked thread (at least the S40 subforum) point to winding posts with a lot of good information mixed in with a lot of bad or misleading information. The leaking sunroof drains is a good example. It starts with people talking about the AC drain, then some suggestions that it is really the sunroof drain, a few ideas to use compressed air to clean drain followed by no don't do that it may pop the drains out of the grommet, talk about just vacuuming water, than no you need to do more to get the water out, etc. All the info is in there, but finding the right info is a bit difficult. I think if someone could follow up and create a distilled - correct or at least current understanding - "How to" it would be super useful.

Again, thanks for the forum!

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
Most people don't use the New Member subforum, mostly because SwedeSpeed is so broad and includes all Volvos, once people sign up, it's common to see the new member posts in their specific model subforum.

That is a good point about the stickies. The S40/V50 sticky has acquired a LOT of information over the years, as SwedeSpeed is the number one forum for P1 Volvos. Threads get stickied when quality writeups are done and solutions are found. But as you'll notice in many of those threads, people continue to weigh in with alternative findings and solutions over many years, which can make them a bit cluttered. Though it's usually all valuable information that's worth reading prior to undergoing the process. We generally don't lock threads after writeups are completed because better solutions are often later found. At this point, the P1s have been around for 16 years and we pretty much know the right way to fix things, but back in 2004, we were still trying to find our own solutions to problems that Volvo bulletins did not address.

It's up to the moderators to help clean things up, so I'll start sifting through it in my spare time and redirecting the sticky links to the specific posts that provide the most accurate descriptions, rather than just links to entire threads.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most people don't use the New Member subforum, mostly because SwedeSpeed is so broad and includes all Volvos, once people sign up, it's common to see the new member posts in their specific model subforum.

That is a good point about the stickies. The S40/V50 sticky has acquired a LOT of information over the years, as SwedeSpeed is the number one forum for P1 Volvos. Threads get stickied when quality writeups are done and solutions are found. But as you'll notice in many of those threads, people continue to weigh in with alternative findings and solutions over many years, which can make them a bit cluttered. Though it's usually all valuable information that's worth reading prior to undergoing the process. We generally don't lock threads after writeups are completed because better solutions are often later found. At this point, the P1s have been around for 16 years and we pretty much know the right way to fix things, but back in 2004, we were still trying to find our own solutions to problems that Volvo bulletins did not address.

It's up to the moderators to help clean things up, so I'll start sifting through it in my spare time and redirecting the sticky links to the specific posts that provide the most accurate descriptions, rather than just links to entire threads.
Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts