SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions???

What is the most wheel hp made on the stock turbo so far and who was it done by?

And also what is the most wheel hp made so far on a stock block R so far and who was it done by?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Two questions??? (BOOSTED S60R)

Quote, originally posted by BOOSTED S60R »
What is the most wheel hp made on the stock turbo so far and who was it done by?And also what is the most wheel hp made so far on a stock block R so far and who was it done by?

Aren't you the answer to those questions? If not, perhaps SupraGuy/Sniz.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Re: Two questions??? ("R" Kelly)

I read of a stock block R with a lot of work which put down 512 and change for power on the 4 wheel dyno. I will try and find the link... I saw the printout. (Not sure what is allowed in order to be considered stock block.. just the block or pistons and stuff too)

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Two questions??? ("R" Kelly)

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »
Aren't you the answer to those questions? If not, perhaps SupraGuy/Sniz.
I didnt know if anyone has made more then 312 and 343 or not but I know johann made 418 with the bigger turbo I am just trying to make sure those are still the most any imput or links will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

MTE/iPD and our Asian R colleagues have the highest numbers.

500 is non realistic. Some use different internals.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

We believe 450bhp is about the max that you can squeeze out of a stock block without strenghtening the internals. The cylinder walls are really quite thin.

Also 1.6bar is about the max (short duration) the car can run without blowing up and 1.55 is what the stock boost sensor can measure...but at 1.45, I'm already running quite scared..

At these boost levels, do monitor your engine oil temps..

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Two questions??? (blot)

thanks for all of the imput but do we know exact numbers as of yet made by some people?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

I dont know exactly where my car was at. An educated guess would put my hp at the wheels around your 310-315 number. Of course running juice you picked up some extra ponies. I know you are looking for exact numbers, sorry I have none to give.

AtSpeed is still planning on buying my wrecked R and rebuilding her better, stronger, faster. I wouldnt be surprised if they take over that title once all is said and done. They told me 550hp+ is not unrealistic if built right and would still be streatable......we'll see. That would obviously be a purpose built engine..........not stock.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Two questions??? (sniz)

Quote, originally posted by sniz »
I dont know exactly where my car was at. An educated guess would put my hp at the wheels around your 310-315 number. Of course running juice you picked up some extra ponies. I know you are looking for exact numbers, sorry I have none to give.

AtSpeed is still planning on buying my wrecked R and rebuilding her better, stronger, faster. I wouldnt be surprised if they take over that title once all is said and done. They told me 550hp+ is not unrealistic if built right and would still be streatable......we'll see. That would obviously be a purpose built engine..........not stock.
I think with the forged crank and pistons that the R comes with that 500whp on a stock block is something that could happen and not tear up I am gonna try and push the stock block to that without the bottle.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BOOSTED S60R »
I think with the forged crank and pistons that the R comes with that 500whp on a stock block is something that could happen and not tear up I am gonna try and push the stock block to that without the bottle.

It's not the rotating parts but the block casting which will become a weak point with higher boost.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

weak areas of the block.... and no, I'm not going to say who's or where I got this from.....

Boost level unknown (it is important to have a boost gauge...)

If you are going to strengthen the internals, cylinder sleeves is a good idea..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Re: Two questions??? (blot)

As mentioned, the weak link is the wall thickness of the cyclinder block.

Our R block is just a bored out 2.3L.

The engne displayed by Blot is mine...I blew the engine when my boost sensor malfuntioned and the boost ran all the way to 2 bar on a GT3071R.

The rods and pistons were ok, but there were cracks in the cyclinder walls that resulted in coolant loss.

I also don't think that there is any way for you to achieve 500HP on the stock K24. I may have missed something and you may have upgraded your turbo

But to achieve 500HP, you will need a big turbo running high boost, and with high boost, you will need bigger injectors as well as a very efficient FMIC. Otherwise you will run the risk of detonation (knocking).

All said, I will install cyclinder liners before going beyond 450HP.

I am limiting my 3076 to 1.45bar right now and hope to up it to 1.8Bar after my other engine comes back reinforced

Here is a close up pic the cracked cyclinders.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Re: Two questions??? (DisCom)

Quote, originally posted by DisCom »
All said, I will install cyclinder liners before going beyond 450HP.
As can been seen in your own photos, the block is already sleeved.

One of the roadblocks to really big power will probably be the open deck design of the block. I think some of the Japanese turbo drag motor builders have had had to resort to extensive machining and fabrications that result in a closed-deck block.

Great photos, by the way. Thanks.

Modified by Dyno at 5:00 PM 1-30-2006

·
Registered
148 Posts
Re: Two questions??? (Dyno)

Quote, originally posted by Dyno »
As can been seen in your own photos, the block is already sleeved.

One of the roadblocks to really big power will probably be the open deck design of the block. I think some of the Japanese turbo drag motor builders have had had to resort to extensive machining and fabrications that result in a closed-deck block.

Great photos, by the way. Thanks.

Modified by Dyno at 5:00 PM 1-30-2006

Well...we intend to go with 81mm pistons instead of the stock 83mm and lower the compression from 8.5 to 8.1.

Hopefully, this will help to achieve 500HP and beyond

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
Re: Two questions??? (needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by needsdecaf »
1 Bar = 14.50377 psi according to my handy dandy HP48G Calculator

Or just type:

1 bar in psi

in to google. Or any number besides 1, etc...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts