SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a pothole on the NJ Turnpike last night and it instantly took out my two right tires. I've always been worried about that with these wide, no-profile tires which is why I bought the tire and rim coverage from the dealer. Never lost a tire to a pothole before in all my decades of driving. Lost two this time.

The BAD:

-- Two flat tires! Possible rim damage yet to be determined.

-- Couldn't happen at a worse time. Raining. Third-busiest car travel day of the year in the area. Everyone tow company short of people due to the holiday. And the rain was making all the tow truck drivers backed up with similar problems. Took 4 hours to get towed and home.

-- Volvo on Call and SOS button didn't work at all. Presumably related to the modem issue since the software update.

-- I manually called Volvo on Call first but had to wait on hold a long time then once I got someone, not local, they didn't seem to be able to help. Despite saying they could locate me based on the car or my mobile phone, which I authorized, they said that "wasn't working." They couldn't look up my VIN. They didn't know what the Turnpike was and when I said the name of the rest stop they didn't seem satisfied and wanted me to provide an address which I had no access to. Then it turns out that the Turnpike has a special contract that only allows certain tow companies access (typical NJ) and those typically just two you off the Turnpike, dump you and expect you to get a second tow to wherever. And VoC didn't know how to deal with that.

The GOOD:

-- My dealer was AMAZING. Called them after VoC and they personally got involved. They called the Turnpike tow company, they arranged for another closer dealership under the same ownership to access the car. I was going to arrive after they closed so they had a loaner car waiting for me with a hidden key. The service manager personally gave me his cell and we traded texts to make sure everything worked out. Couldn't ask for more -- wouldn't have expected as much. Super nice people, so helpful.

-- Really, really happy I got that tire and rim coverage now.

-- The car handled very well with two flat tires as I took it into the rest stop to wait for the tow.

The IRONY:

-- We were driving back from seeing Hamilton the Musical on Broadway when this happened. When I looked up the name of the rest stop to guide the tow truck driver, it turns out to have been the Alexander Hamilton Service Area. What are the odds?

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I was afraid our SOS button wouldn't work because of this data issue we are experiencing.

I just arrived in VA Beach taking the turnpike south this morning at 4am and while driving through all that rain was actually thinking to myself "How bad would it be to get a flat right now".

Glad it worked out for you ultimately and that the dealership worked with you. I'm using a dealership owned by the same one you use and although things are slow in the troubleshooting department it isn't the dealerships fault. It is the way they have to reach out for tech help. And vcna, they just seem like lip service to me.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Oh, and oddest thing, I had that thing happen today where the radar cruise kicks out with the windscreen blocked type message. And this was after 5 hours of driving in steady rain. First time in 7 months I got this message and I've driven road trips through many a rain storm. Bright side, no water in the cargo area like some have been experiencing. I feel for them, water in a car sucks. Period.

Another reason the car should have regular cruise in addition to radar cruise; you have to wait some time to use cruise control again after this message appears.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Glad you and the family are OK. Even if your VoC did work, it seems like the outcome would have been the same. Happy to see you have such a great dealer!

·
Registered
192 Posts
That sux...I live in NJ and will also be worried about the potholes since I got the same tires (21" wheels). It must have been a bad pothole to flat 2 tires.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Happy to hear that you and your family are safe.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was afraid our SOS button wouldn't work because of this data issue we are experiencing.

I just arrived in VA Beach taking the turnpike south this morning at 4am and while driving through all that rain was actually thinking to myself "How bad would it be to get a flat right now".

Glad it worked out for you ultimately and that the dealership worked with you. I'm using a dealership owned by the same one you use and although things are slow in the troubleshooting department it isn't the dealerships fault. It is the way they have to reach out for tech help. And vcna, they just seem like lip service to me.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays.
BTW, they ended up towing me to the same Edison dealer you have been using because it was closer. There was no way they were towing it to Princeton. I saw the place last night after it was closed and again today when I picked up the car. They replaced the tires and said the rims were fine.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sux...I live in NJ and will also be worried about the potholes since I got the same tires (21" wheels). It must have been a bad pothole to flat 2 tires.
I never saw it and was looking. It was effectively invisible. It was dark, raining, road was dark from the wetness. Suddenly, BAM BAM. That said, i have probably driven in just as bad with my Pilot and never had a tire issue. That's the downside of 21" versus the Pilot's 16 or 17". It was taking out a lot of cars. The rest stop had a service center which had a huge line of people getting spares put on from the same pot hole apparently.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Citivas, dear friend. I have followed you exploits here for many months. All I can say is that I am wishing you a very Merry Christmas, and that the 2016 New Year, you will have nothing but smooth sailing from now on. You deserve it!

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
BTW, they ended up towing me to the same Edison dealer you have been using because it was closer. There was no way they were towing it to Princeton. I saw the place last night after it was closed and again today when I picked up the car. They replaced the tires and said the rims were fine.
Glad to hear the rims were good to go, even with the protection package. Also glad Edison was ready to help you, great hearing that. I'll be returning there after the new year as a part came in that they say the tech they are dealing with thinks may solve my data issue. They have been very good thus far in trying to fix the data problem. The tech they must call for help is slow as hell imo, or the process is too slow, but the dealership does what they can with what they have to work with.

Glad everyone's safe, enjoy the holiday season!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like a great reason to have a solid relationship w your dealer.

Did you know?

.......Hamilton started a daily broadsheet—then known as the New-York Evening Post—that grew into one of the country’s most successful papers: the New York Post.
I did! But I'm kind of a history junkie. He started the Coast Guard too. And created the first national bank. And created the first US voter-based political party.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
That said, i have probably driven in just as bad with my Pilot and never had a tire issue. That's the downside of 21" versus the Pilot's 16 or 17". It was taking out a lot of cars. The rest stop had a service center which had a huge line of people getting spares put on from the same pot hole apparently.
Seems contradictory, no?

If most people were blowing tires on the pothole, it seems the 21" fared no worse than anyone else on most-likely smaller tires?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seems contradictory, no?

If most people were blowing tires on the pothole, it seems the 21" fared no worse than anyone else on most-likely smaller tires?
There were probably hundreds of cars going over that pot hole. Almost every other car I saw at the service center with a flat was a small sedan.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts