SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a graphite/engraved TWM M1 abrams for cheap on ebay, came in good condition (was off of an STI, so same shift patter, just different mounting insert for the knob). Ordered an S60R knob insert from TWM and got that today. I spent the good part of 2 hours trying fruitlessly to thread the snabb shift knob with both the multiple dies I have on hand and the included die TWM sent me...no luck.

I know some of you out there have done this...what's your secret? Any links to specific products I will need? Standard dies aren't working and I don't have any special machinery...

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I bought a graphite/engraved TWM M1 abrams for cheap on ebay, came in good condition (was off of an STI, so same shift patter, just different mounting insert for the knob). Ordered an S60R knob insert from TWM and got that today. I spent the good part of 2 hours trying fruitlessly to thread the snabb shift knob with both the multiple dies I have on hand and the included die TWM sent me...no luck.

I know some of you out there have done this...what's your secret? Any links to specific products I will need? Standard dies aren't working and I don't have any special machinery...
Any sort of hardened die should work just fine. What kind of issues are you having?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any sort of hardened die should work just fine. What kind of issues are you having?
I've been using carbon steel and some other form of die. The edge of the shifter is tapered like it should be but I'm having a nightmare even getting it started

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I've been using carbon steel and some other form of die. The edge of the shifter is tapered like it should be but I'm having a nightmare even getting it started
I know it sounds stupid even suggesting it but when I threaded mine I got in a really awkward position and placed my palm on top of the die and manipulated my thump and pinky to hold the rods as I spun my palm.....It gripped eventually and that is all you need. Are you by any chance using the wrong side of the die?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it sounds stupid even suggesting it but when I threaded mine I got in a really awkward position and placed my palm on top of the die and manipulated my thump and pinky to hold the rods as I spun my palm.....It gripped eventually and that is all you need. Are you by any chance using the wrong side of the die?
...I have no idea which side is which, I've tried both but haven't been able to get it started. I'll try your suggestion in a couple of hours and post up if I make any progress. Thanks!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Snabb shifter rod is made out of 304 stainless steel and will be PITA to thread without a lathe.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
That is exactly what I did. I kneeled on the drivers seat and out extreme force down onto the rod twisting slowly at first.

The side of the die with the number and writing is usually the starting side

·
Registered
876 Posts
If you strike out, go the other way and drill the middle of snabb aluminum adapter so it fits snugly over the rod. Drill and tap it on three sides so you can use set screws to hold it in place. Working with aluminum will be easy.

·
Registered
876 Posts
That is exactly what I did. I kneeled on the drivers seat and out extreme force down onto the rod twisting slowly at first.

The side of the die with the number and writing is usually the starting side
Do you have Snabb shifter kit installed? OEM rod is easy to thread, Snabb is stainless steel and it is a bit*h to thread with out power tools.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Do you have Snabb shifter kit installed? OEM rod is easy to thread, Snabb is stainless steel and it is a bit*h to thread with out power tools.
Nonetheless you act as if you'll need a diamond lined die and a jackhammer to get a small task done.

Just push down super hard and spin slowly IT WILL GO. If not than I know a place where I can get that jackhammer.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Nonetheless you act as if you'll need a diamond lined die and a jackhammer to get a small task done.

Just push down super hard and spin slowly IT WILL GO. If not than I know a place where I can get that jackhammer.
Ok, let's wait for OP update ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
If your trying to thread stainless your going to need some cutting oil at the very least. A high carbon die would help and a carbide die would make it a breeze.

Have you tried spitting on it? Lol

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm using cutting oil and the die TWM included...it's not working and I'm putting in a ton of force. I've threaded before but this just seems impossible.

Any idea where I can find a carbide die?

Edit: I'm in no hurry really, my grandfather has a lathe but he's 6 hours away in Indianapolis. I'd really prefer to thread the shaft simply because I wouldn't want to mess up the insert and have to order another one...

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Diamond die and jack hammer it is.....btw I checked and mine are carbon dies....

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just did mine at a machine shop. Split die did the job by hand. The Snabb shifter is just a little too big and beveled for a normal die. Cost me $30. Better than fighting it myself any longer. I tried for an hour or two with a cheap harbor freight die. No go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts