SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to turn off the headlight washers via VIDA? They waste so much fluid and covers the front if the car with it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
775 Posts
Idk.. just pop the fuse out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Idk.. just pop the fuse out.

+1 that was the first thing I did when I got the car. Lame feature.

·
Registered
775 Posts
+1 that was the first thing I did when I got the car. Lame feature.
I use it when we get into the heavy snow / salt months but for like 9 months out of the year it just pisses fluid all over the car for no reason.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I use it when we get into the heavy snow / salt months but for like 9 months out of the year it just pisses fluid all over the car for no reason.

Any dash message when pulling fuse? I avoid the windshield washer for your exact reason.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Any dash message when pulling fuse? I avoid the windshield washer for your exact reason.
Nope

·
Registered
735 Posts
Washer fluid is like $2 a gallon and a gallon lasts me a year or more. If that's breaking your bank, there are probably other places to look for economising first.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Washer fluid is like $2 a gallon and a gallon lasts me a year or more. If that's breaking your bank, there are probably other places to look for economising first.
You clearly didn't read the comments. It sprays the whole front of your freshly detailed car with methanol which leaves wonderful streaks and spots.

Reactions: jschaefer7406

·
Registered
735 Posts
You clearly didn't read the comments. It sprays the whole front of your freshly detailed car with methanol which leaves wonderful streaks and spots.
What are you mixing with your washer fluid that it's leaving steaks and spots? Can't say I have that problem at all.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
What are you mixing with your washer fluid that it's leaving steaks and spots? Can't say I have that problem at all.
No one said anything about saving money; it's a matter of disabling a worthless feature that, in my opinion, is ineffective.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Is it easy to reach that fuse? Isn't it in a panel covered by another fuse panel?

My car is white, and I don't like bathing the hood in blue-green fluid.

·
Registered
383 Posts
No dash light, but Vida will have a code as long as the fuse it out.

Is it easy to reach that fuse? Isn't it in a panel covered by another fuse panel?

Mine is in my XC60. It was a little odd the way the first panel comes up, but I forget exactly how to do it now, if it's even the same on your car as mine.

·
Registered
735 Posts
No one said anything about saving money; it's a matter of disabling a worthless feature that, in my opinion, is ineffective.
Your right, and why try to shame someone even "if" they wanted to save fluid? so what?
Who's trying to shame anyone? I just don't see the point when fluid is cheap and shouldn't be leaving streaks or spots unless it's contaminated.

OP complained that it "wastes" fluid, which suggested that he's concerned about using too much. I attempted (and clearly failed) to point out humorously that there's no need to worry about wasting something so cheap. But hey, it's the internet so I guess I'm evil. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For whatever it's worth, I apologise for failing to remember that a joking tone does not translate well into text. I assure you that in person it would have come off differently.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The only reason I keep mine on is to spray the person driving too close behind me. It sends 2 huge mist clouds around the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
To save my washer fluid I tailgate Seamus to get a free windshield wash from his fluid.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
You can also pull Relay R1 if that's easier to get to. No idea where this is though but an easier solution if you don't want the headlight washers to operate is to quickly pull and release the washer stalk. This activates the windshield washer pump but not the headlight washer. I've been doing this for years. Just a few quick pulls puts enough fluid on the windshield without getting the headlights washed. This way if you want the headlights washed from road salt or mud they are available to you. Win win.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,347 Posts

The fuse is in the box under the hood - once you identify the number, it's easy enough to pull out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Who's trying to shame anyone? I just don't see the point when fluid is cheap and shouldn't be leaving streaks or spots unless it's contaminated.

OP complained that it "wastes" fluid, which suggested that he's concerned about using too much. I attempted (and clearly failed) to point out humorously that there's no need to worry about wasting something so cheap. But hey, it's the internet so I guess I'm evil. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For whatever it's worth, I apologise for failing to remember that a joking tone does not translate well into text. I assure you that in person it would have come off differently.
I literally go thru a gallon a week during the winter months because of this feature, but I can go all summer on 1 gallon

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts