SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know how to turn off the alarm completely. There is no such option to the Owner's manual

There is only a temporary shutdown option : Reduced guard Switch off the movement and tilt detectors
I've been going for more than a month for exactly 35 days, I don't want to have a car with a dead battery when is back

·
Registered
859 Posts
Does anyone know how to turn off the alarm completely. There is no such option to the Owner's manual

There is only a temporary shutdown option : Reduced guard Switch off the movement and tilt detectors
I've been going for more than a month for exactly 35 days, I don't want to have a car with a dead battery when is back
Ask your dealer?:confused:

·
Registered
174 Posts

It'll be fine. Eventually the car goes into a "deep sleep" mode, which is extremely power efficient. I think it can last for several months in this mode.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It'll be fine. Eventually the car goes into a "deep sleep" mode, which is extremely power efficient. I think it can last for several months in this mode.

The most common automotive battery are the wet cells (flooded batteries), self discharge depends on the condition and type of battery
Car alarm usually takes in a very small amount of power, but is use power from battery

Any battery will eventually discharge itself. A flooded car battery discharge rate is about 1% per day at room temperature, 0.25% per day at 10 °C (50 °F) and 1.5% per day at 30 °C (86 °F). This self discharge percentage is the percentage of the remaining capacity, so a flooded lead acid battery will still have 50% of its capacity remaining after 6 months. Low-maintenance and sealed batteries have lower discharge rates of less that 0.5% per day and calcium-lead batteries can have a self discharge of less than 2% per month.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The most common automotive battery are the wet cells (flooded batteries), self discharge depends on the condition and type of battery
Car alarm usually takes in a very small amount of power, but is use power from battery
All Volvo's use AGM batteries. And there are two of them. Plus a backup in the alarm sounder, and a backup in the communications module.

I'd honestly expect it to last many months if left completely alone... But if you're really worried, leave it on a charger?

Also, don't try to use the remote start to keep it charged. It won't work out the way you'd think it would.

But for 35 days? You should be totally fine.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
All Volvo's use AGM batteries. And there are two of them. Plus a backup in the alarm sounder, and a backup in the communications module.

I'd honestly expect it to last many months if left completely alone... But if you're really worried, leave it on a charger?

Also, don't try to use the remote start to keep it charged. It won't work out the way you'd think it would.

But for 35 days? You should be totally fine.
Unfortunately I can't use the charger, it's a shared garage in the building
I know what batteries Volvo has been using. A few months ago they replaced my main battery
Volvo XC60 has two batteries, a main one located in the trunk of the car and one in the engine compartment, small battery used for the Start-Stop system

Anyway thanks, we'll see if the main battery will stay ok

·
Registered
67 Posts
I’ve left my XC60 sitting for six weeks in a parking garage when I had to unexpectedly travel for an extended time. The car started up without a single issue when I got back.

The only issue I encountered is that the built-in internet connection took a while to start working again, since the telematics module had gone into deep sleep. After running errands for a couple hours, it had started back up, and everything was fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts