SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone upgraded these pieces and worked? I looked at the numbers on the stalks and tried to match them up with newer ones and of course the numbers don’t match. I’m thinking as long as the functions match it may work. Just want to make sure before I buy a wiper stalk without automatic wipers.

·
Registered
17,311 Posts
Has anyone upgraded these pieces and worked? I looked at the numbers on the stalks and tried to match them up with newer ones and of course the numbers don’t match. I’m thinking as long as the functions match it may work. Just want to make sure before I buy a wiper stalk without automatic wipers.
CAN is different you’d have to transplant all the guts. Not sure it’s been done successfully. If you traced the wires and it was all the same hardware wise then maybe?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CAN is different you’d have to transplant all the guts. Not sure it’s been done successfully. If you traced the wires and it was all the same hardware wise then maybe?
I would try it if I had a good idea of how they came apart. I might have some tinkering to do...

·
Registered
17,311 Posts
I would try it if I had a good idea of how they came apart. I might have some tinkering to do...

Stalk has wires coming to a board

Base clips together

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything works with swapping the board over except for the mpg screen and others. It will read through messages but will not cycle through the regular positions on the dim

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ll get a stalk out of the junkyard that would match my car and I’ll disassemble it. The older ones come apart different than the newer ones. The newer ones have screws on the back to pop the cover off vs the older ones don’t. I’ll dissect a older unit and take the reset/read and toggle board out of it and put it in this one.

This is the board that would need to be changed

Newer stalk

Older stalk

I think it’s doable, just some time and tinkering. The windshield wiper stalk should be a simple swapping of the board.

·
Registered
17,311 Posts
I’ll get a stalk out of the junkyard that would match my car and I’ll disassemble it. The older ones come apart different than the newer ones. The newer ones have screws on the back to pop the cover off vs the older ones don’t. I’ll dissect a older unit and take the reset/read and toggle board out of it and put it in this one.

This is the board that would need to be changed

Newer stalk

Older stalk

I think it’s doable, just some time and tinkering. The windshield wiper stalk should be a simple swapping of the board.
Cool. Looking forward to seeing what you figure out!

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
that's a lot of work for a stupid piece of trim.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts